Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
I've watched tons of the survivalist and prepardness videos and it shows all these families arming themselves to the "T" the weapons virtually out numbered the people to use them. Im a former spec ops medic so I've been around all types of new and old small arms, my family and I have our own stratagey but wanted to see what the real worlds view was on this topic.

Thanks
I call BS on the bold, but anyway...

Firearms: Anything in a caliber that's readily available, in a firearm that is fairly common. Could be a bolt-action rifle, shotgun, revolver, semi-auto pistol, or semi-auto rifle. You'd better either be really good with your aim/weapon or have A LOT of ammunition.
Anything else: You could seriously pick anything up and use it in a self-defense setting... rock, branch, etc. All it has to do is assist in the transfer of energy from you to another person.

I figure that after a certain point, there probably wouldn't be such a great need for firearms, and most weapons useable in a self-defense manner will be very quiet- people may become reacquainted with bows/arrows, knives, shovels, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I call BS on the bold, but anyway...
Yeah, medics are as scarce as hen's teeth. In "spec ops," special forces, and other such specific branches of military or government, they don't have medics. If they can't sew their own leg back on, they simply lay down and die.

And yes, you are justified in calling my statement bull****. Because, of course, it is. Now if you could explain to me what is so rare about a medic in any given branch of the military, I could perhaps better understand your declaration.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, medics are as scarce as hen's teeth. In "spec ops," special forces, and other such specific branches of military or government, they don't have medics. If they can't sew their own leg back on, they simply lay down and die.

And yes, you are justified in calling my statement bull****. Because, of course, it is. Now if you could explain to me what is so rare about a medic in any given branch of the military, I could perhaps better understand your declaration.

The Marine Corps...

Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The Marine Corps...
Well, yeah, all right... but other than that.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 10,481 times
True, nearly everyone will be dead in a year or so after shtf, but every last person, over the age of 10 or so, will be carrying some sort of autoloading longarm, most probably a .22lr. That will beat any bow, xbow, or pellet gun all to hell. Since there's many billions of .22lr rds sold here each year, there will be plenty of it to last 20 years or more.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,272,846 times
Default Short term/long term weapons

Deekon - ammo doesn't last as long as you think. My father taught gun classes. He always figured on the students wasting an entire clip the first time they fired the gun! No matter what he said, they always emptied the clip! He also said that, under stress, you don't shoot, look, and if necessary shoot again. Instinct says to shoot until you are sure your enemy is dead. He went thru 4 years in Europe during WWII and had lots of experience.

He told me that, during WWII, he saw people in Europe who died because they could not adjust mentally to a drastically altered landscape. They just couldn't make the adjustments necessary to survive. Also, I was raised hunting, but one of my friends did not start hunting until she was grown. She said that the first kill was hard because of the mental adjustment required.

Short term weapons -guns, homemade bombs. Long term - swords, machetes, bows. I hunt with a hunting slingshot and a standard, recurve bow. Both are quiet and adequate for the job. I have taken deer, ducks, turkeys, wild pigs with my bow (no boars, tho). Squirrels, rabbits with the slingshot.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Squirrels, rabbits with the slingshot.

Interesting. Do you use just a homemade sort of slingshot (from wood branches and rubber) or the higher-tech "wrist rocket" type slingshots with the wrist stabilizer? Both types can be pretty mean. My father used to make and use slingshots all the time. He would often shoot .36 cal lead balls (from his Colt 1861 Navy lead mold). The lethality on small animals and general damage that can be inflicted is quite sobering for people who view a slingshot as a "kid's toy."

Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,272,846 times
Default ChrisC

High tech, all metal with a well padded wrist brace. For ammo, I have used everything from stones to ball bearings. The only problem I have had with this type of slingshot, is that I have had to replace the rubber part of the slingshot. Surgical tubing works great and is not that expensive.

I have often wondered if this type of slingshot could kill someone. This is similar to what I have. Mine is rather old.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
I don't know if you could kill a person with a slingshot, but I do know from personal experience that it can break bones. A lucky shot could be fatal, or at least knock them unconscious. Using a crossbow-style bolt instead of a rock or ball bearing might increase the damage a bit.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Hey Gunkid:
"Try harder"...
THXS i was wondering.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness