Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

It has changed over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!

HARDLY!

Sorry, people living in mobile homes, living off getting people to pay for access to the site (I forget the details, it's been years since I've thought about the place.)

it was a suggestion. guess you have not heard of the place. I know quite a few people that belong to it, and none of them have paid 1 dime to belong to it.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
it was a suggestion. guess you have not heard of the place. I know quite a few people that belong to it, and none of them have paid 1 dime to belong to it.
Oh I know it.
Tried it out in 2005.

Guess you missed THIS LINK
Login Request Instructions
ON THE FIRSTPAGE!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Oh I know it.
Tried it out in 2005.

Guess you missed THIS LINK
Login Request Instructions
ON THE FIRSTPAGE!

sorry, I still didnt see a cost. I have known people who were in it. I do admit that some people will always be noids no matter what group they belong too, but there is still good info for people to look for.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sorry, I still didnt see a cost. I have known people who were in it. I do admit that some people will always be noids no matter what group they belong too, but there is still good info for people to look for.
They 'open it up' every so often. (You'll note where it was closed. IIRC it was $5-10/month (Payable in advance, I think 6 or 12 months at a wack)
There were also article requirements, which became THEIR property.

Buddy of mine found it, thought it was neat, talked me into it just as I was getting back from Iraq.

He quickly apologized. Neither of us renewed.

There WAS some good information, but most was posted in the 'free section' as bait.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
They 'open it up' every so often. (You'll note where it was closed. IIRC it was $5-10/month (Payable in advance, I think 6 or 12 months at a wack)
There were also article requirements, which became THEIR property.

Buddy of mine found it, thought it was neat, talked me into it just as I was getting back from Iraq.

He quickly apologized. Neither of us renewed.

There WAS some good information, but most was posted in the 'free section' as bait.

thanks for the info, will stop recommending it.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am on a few forums of this type. I see three primary categories.

1. Prepper; those who 'prep' by gathering and storing things they think they may need during a crisis.

2. Survivalist; those who study and practice skill sets in the hope that they might one day be able to go into the wilderness and 'survive'.

3. Homesteader; those who move into the wilderness, build off-grid home/farms and become sustainable and self-sufficient.
I'll go with this since i see there is a difference.

As the man said Peppers buy stuff and save it waiting but don't bother to go further and learn. They are limited to what ever they buy. This works only for so long as they can last with what they have.

If they run out of lighters and matches they are dead.

The Survivalist, learns with a hands on method but if that is all he does he will be cold and hungry most of the time, but probably will out last a prepper, since he will have skill sets to scavenge.
Chances are he will also have supplies to fall back on, and will tend to use them and add as these are used up.

3 is what the man says.....

4 is 3 and what ever more the combination of all 3 ends up as.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Am I the only one who likes the term survivalist better?
I thought they were two different things!

Doesn't a Survivalist have bigger guns, and more of them, also loads of ammo?

Isn't a Prepper into pickling?

I know this is an oversimplification, but I like to keep things simple.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I thought they were two different things!

Doesn't a Survivalist have bigger guns, and more of them, also loads of ammo?

Isn't a Prepper into pickling?

I know this is an oversimplification, but I like to keep things simple.
Oh yeah I need a bucket loader to just haul my junk around

Maybe we should use the criteria of if you can start a fire with no man made modern tools....

Man must have fire to live, but yet most modern man can not make fire from scratch. So how is it modern man is so called smart, when making fire is so simple a cave man can do it?

Take away your lighters and matches and you are probably going to die.. If not modern man seems to require a complete crashed air craft in order to make fire.........

A prepper is DEAD the instant he runs out of store bought junk he can't replace.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Like Happy in Wyoming, I find that prepper has been perverted by the media and it's become a part of Americana pop culture. Hence, most people that claim both titles really are not in the true form of its usage. I also feel that survivalist has also degenerated into something strange.

I've been into bushcrafting for several years, and self-reliance for decades. Unfortunately, those two titles are also being dragged into pop culture by the media and the masses are gravitating towards it, so I expect those two terms to fall out of my vocabulary in the not so distant future.

I like most of what Happy in Wyoming wrote in post #5, and I feel that itsMeFred in post #3 was crack on, directly to the point, and eloquently said.

It's just a silly label. Why let people label you? If somebody asks, just tell them you don't like being caught in compromising situations, and if you are caught, you simply want to know how to respond and effect the most comfort that's humanly possible.

Cheers and thanks for reading,
bolillo_loco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness