Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times

Advertisements

I lived through Rita and Ike here in SE Texas. Between the 2 storms a month without grid power, Rita being almost 3 weeks. I grew up around here but had never seen or imagined this kinda destruction. Something told me to prep so having a few days notice I procured 2 generators, one smaller one for my well, over 100 gallons of gas, electrical cable and connectors, made sure the chainsaws were ready.

Prepping for a natural disaster is different from an EOTWAWKI event ... power should be restored relatively soon so large quantities of canned foods not that necessary as refrigeration can be continued under generated power. Folks on a municipal /community water systems could have more difficulties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Most lighthouses aren't just sitting in the middle of the ocean. Most are high up on the coast. Those that are in the ocean are on islands that have been built up. And MANY lighthouses over the years have been lost to the sea so don't think that being cylindrical will save them.
Go with the Flow: Why are Lighthouses Round? | Education.com
"A building with the shape of a cylinder guides the air flow around it and allows the air to continue behind it. Such a structure can withstand higher winds, as it has less force than on a similar structure that catches the wind. Therefore, you may have noticed from seeing pictures or visiting lighthouses that most of them are cylindrical in shape. Now you know why! "
A cylindrical (or hemispherical) building will better resist the side forces of wind and water.
As to the foundations of the building, that's another issue entirely.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I lived through Rita and Ike here in SE Texas. Between the 2 storms a month without grid power, Rita being almost 3 weeks. I grew up around here but had never seen or imagined this kinda destruction. Something told me to prep so having a few days notice I procured 2 generators, one smaller one for my well, over 100 gallons of gas, electrical cable and connectors, made sure the chainsaws were ready.

Prepping for a natural disaster is different from an EOTWAWKI event ... power should be restored relatively soon so large quantities of canned foods not that necessary as refrigeration can be continued under generated power. Folks on a municipal /community water systems could have more difficulties.
I'm worried about storing 5 gallons of gas safely, and you've got 100 gallons? How do you store that amount?
I had to fight with my husband just to get a 5 gal. can. He says since we don't have a generator, we don't need it. I think it's smart to have it, regardless.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I'm worried about storing 5 gallons of gas safely, and you've got 100 gallons? How do you store that amount?
I had to fight with my husband just to get a 5 gal. can. He says since we don't have a generator, we don't need it. I think it's smart to have it, regardless.
Everyone with a car has a generator.

I keep a $60 800 watt inverter in my truck, it can run most modern freezers/fridges.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
As stated before, concrete is cheap. The trick is getting it to cure in the shape of a house.
That's why concrete construction is expensive. Houses are rarely mass produced from one design, and thus no simple reusable form brings economies of scale to the process.

(BTW - national average for concrete is $75 / cu yd)
Here's the thing. The concrete may be "cheap," but the labor is NOT. And finding people who are highly skilled with this type of work is EXTREMELY hard to find. Heck, finding someone who does a good job floating a patio can be a challenge.

As for homes not being mass produced, mmmm you haven't met with the company who built my last house. They have 12 designs that they are currently building in like 15 neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has at least 200 houses.

And the national average means nothing. There are many different types of concrete. All don't work for all applications.

Don't forget that concrete doesn't handle aging well or salt. In the Northeast, we use TONS of salt every year. There is no way getting around that unless we never leave our homes.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
[1] Here's the thing. The concrete may be "cheap," but the labor is NOT. And finding people who are highly skilled with this type of work is EXTREMELY hard to find. Heck, finding someone who does a good job floating a patio can be a challenge.

[2] As for homes not being mass produced, mmmm you haven't met with the company who built my last house. They have 12 designs that they are currently building in like 15 neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has at least 200 houses.

[3] And the national average means nothing. There are many different types of concrete. All don't work for all applications.

[4] Don't forget that concrete doesn't handle aging well or salt. In the Northeast, we use TONS of salt every year. There is no way getting around that unless we never leave our homes.
[1] Ahem - isn't that my point? American housing construction is LABOR intensive, and does not rely on mass production methods.

[2] 12 designs is not one design, unless I do not understand math. Making 12 forms to pour 12 house designs would cost more than 1 form to pour 1 design.

[3] And your point is that some concrete is more expensive than others?

[4] "Handle aging?" Did you know that Roman concrete has lasted "only" 2000+ years?
Concrete and reinforced concrete may be susceptible to salt and water. However, there are many recipes and variations that mitigate that damage. In fact, the ancient Romans first developed hydraulic cement that would cure underwater, especially seawater. It was critical in their engineering of ports and waterways.

Concrete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Concrete technology was known by the Ancient Romans and was widely used within the Roman Empire—the Colosseum is largely built of concrete. After the Empire passed, use of concrete became scarce until the technology was re-pioneered in the mid-18th century.
Pantheon, Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome.
Roman concrete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vitruvius, writing around 25 BC in his Ten Books on Architecture, distinguished types of aggregate appropriate for the preparation of lime mortars. For structural mortars, he recommended pozzolana, which were volcanic sands from the sandlike beds of Puteoli brownish-yellow-gray in color near Naples and reddish-brown at Rome. Vitruvius specifies a ratio of 1 part lime to 3 parts pozzolana for cements used in buildings and a 1:2 ratio of lime to pulvis Puteolanus for underwater work, essentially the same ratio mixed today for concrete used at sea.
By the middle of the 1st century, the principles of underwater construction in concrete were well known to Roman builders. The City of Caesarea was the earliest known example to have made use of underwater Roman concrete technology on such a large scale.
As to other countries, concrete and fiber reinforced cement products are widely used in construction of homes.
Links for more info:
James Hardie: World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard
Home
Insteel Panelmex S.A de C.V.
http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete-homes/

Personally, I am fond of concrete sandwich wall construction :
[2" concrete] + [thick EPSfoam] + [2" concrete]
(It's the opposite of ICF, where EPSfoam forms contain concrete).

One source :
Tridipanel - Home - Eco Friendly Home | Green Homes Building | Environmentally Friendly Home
Documented disaster resistance:
Tridipanel - Hurricanes and Tornadoes - 1 of 14 homes damaged - Eco Friendly Home | Green Homes Building | Environmentally Friendly Home

I may be in error, but if disaster areas were rebuilt using concrete sandwich wall construction, future damage would be minimal.
My basis for such a belief:
[] Concrete (fiber reinforced) structures are resistant to fire, water, wind, storm surge, vermin, mold, mildew, insects, small arms fire.

Flying debris:

Wind Cannon Test of the Fortified House - YouTube

As to embellishment, concrete can be made and modified to mimic other materials : faux stone, faux brick, stained, acid etched, stamped, colored, coated, etc., etc.
(do Google search on terms, and select images, for a quick overview of what may be built)

In addition, with titanium dioxide, the exterior can be made to catalyze pollutants... AND SELF CLEAN.
BBC News - 'Smog-eating' material breaking into the big time
Titanium dioxide does a couple of clever tricks that mean we may well be seeing a lot of it in the future: it's self-cleaning, and it breaks down pollutants in the air. . .
A number of pilot projects around the world have seen the material used in, for example, concrete - hence the Jubilee Church in Rome. In Japan, Mitsubishi markets a brand of titanium dioxide-treated paving stones and Toto makes coated ceramic tiles.
Light-activated paint knocks out air pollutants | SciTech | GMA News Online | The Go-To Site for Filipinos Everywhere

Yes, I like concrete. I admit it. You should, too.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 11-05-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
[4] "Handle aging?" Did you know that Roman concrete has lasted "only" 2000+ years?

Yes, I like concrete. I admit it. You should, too.
Great for the Romans. This isn't Rome. I have concrete steps that are 70 years old and in VERY poor condition. My brother's house is 50 years old and just needed a entire concrete wall in his basement replaced. That's far short of 2000 years.

Great, you like concrete. We all don't. I don't like it. It's fine for a driveway, but I would never live in a concrete house. You like it, so build yourself this concrete village you're talking about and see if you can convince others.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,525 times
I'm not in an evacuation zone I prepared by (dad was military for a bit and a good friend grew up in hurricane prone city):

1) topping off the gas tank of the car a few days before

2) refilling prescription medicines

3) replacing batteries I'd used since Irene prep, as well as the water and non-perishables

4) withdrawing cash & having small denominations of it for stores which couldn't take cards or give much change

5) radio, flashlights, LED candles, battery operated lantern

6) filling the bathtub with water and other containers

7) having kitchen matches on hand for my gas stove, which requires electricity to turn on the burners. Though I've since invested in a bbq lighter since there's more distance between my hand and the burner!

8) one of those little funnel and coffee cups. The carafe for my usual coffee maker is insulated, so I poured boiling water for several cups of coffee over the grinds and it stayed warm for awhile.

9) putting ice packs in the freezer, including filling Tupperware type containers with water and freezing them. Tried to keep the doors closed as much as possible. But by Wednesday night, ice cubes were starting to melt. Had to toss all of the freezer and much of the fridge. It amazed me how many people were overstocking on perishables at the supermarket before. i'm not even bothering restocking beyond the milk for my coffee until after the possible Nor'Easter later this week.

10) Had, but didn't need, baby wipes (in case water goes out, they can be used to get somewhat clean), lysol wipes and bleach

11) paper dishes, plastic utensils

12) drank the bottle of white wine first, then the red since red doesn't need refrigeration.

13) have a non-electric phone hooked up to a regular, old fashioned land line

i wish I had a generator, but I live in an apartment, so ventilation would be a problem. Window replacement (they're old and I'm surprised they held up to the wind as one already had a crack in it) has moved up on the priority list. I kept the blinds shut and the curtains drawn and stayed away from the windows during the worst of it. Some of my contacts got messed up when I got a new phone, should have had a list printed out from my land line phone directory. i also don't have important documents organized, that's something I should do.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
You buy a bunch of cheap 2 liters, dump them fill with water, squeeze it, put cap on and freeze them. Like 20 of them. This gives you block ice, in your freezer/fridge to keep it cool longer and as it melts its cold wTer.

We also hit up the grociery stores just before the storm and get steaks on discount and cook them on our grill.

Then all the usual supplies. Any risk of storm surge or flooding I would be gone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
You buy a bunch of cheap 2 liters, dump them fill with water, squeeze it, put cap on and freeze them. Like 20 of them. This gives you block ice, in your freezer/fridge to keep it cool longer and as it melts its cold wTer.
Like this block of ice tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness