Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,668,921 times

Advertisements

Ok, the power is out and will be out for a good while so how do you plan to pay for goods and services that you will need until the power is restored??

How much cash do you need to have on hand to carry you over until electronic credit and banking is up and running again????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM

259 posts, read 365,847 times
$300.00 in four separate areas,shoe,flashlight,cap, ground, (vitamin bottle), underside of
dresser drawer, etc just use your imagination.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,568,624 times
I like to have at least $200 in 10s and 20s in my emergency pack I have every day, and usually another $200 - $300 stashed in various places, just in case.

I already have food and water and bug out locations in place, but having a small stash available if the banks are down is a good idea anyway

Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM

25,667 posts, read 18,758,270 times
It depends on what's going on. There are times when cash may not be worth the paper it's printed on. I prefer to actually have hard goods such as food, water, tools, supplies, etc. That way I'm not gambling my life on the worth of US currency. That said, I will always keep at least $500 on hand and several hundred dollars worth of gold or silver on hand, both as a "just in case" factor rather than "I'll use this to buy things I need if SHTF" factor--have the things you need on-hand before-hand.

On a related note, I would never keep any significant amount of money in a bank. Way too risky for my tastes (I'd feel safer carrying it in a money belt), especially with the ease of identity theft and hacking these days. The banks closing down is just a minor worry.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,317,263 times
In an emergency I could see me spending $1000 a day.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,628,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Ok, the power is out and will be out for a good while so how do you plan to pay for goods and services that you will need until the power is restored??

How much cash do you need to have on hand to carry you over until electronic credit and banking is up and running again????
Small amount of cash and much more in gold and silver coins. Be ready to defend your money.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
I take it this is based on cash will still be good??? One wrong move in Govt and all cash can be worth exactly nothing in paper.

A 5th of good whiskey would be worth a lot more than paper, to someone with a lot metal silver / gold maybe. But for paper??? maybe not...

For people who can't afford silver and gold and might not even want silver or gold and have room salt, pepper, booze and assorted other items might make decent trade items.

That might be pots and pans to bolts of material. I have taken bolts of wool before on trades.

Also to me it depends on how long the power is out. The power can only be out so long before the Govt behind it becomes as worthless as paper currency.

I would say if the power was out 6 + months the Govt behind it would be dead.... and any paper notes that govt issued would be as dead.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,668,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I take it this is based on cash will still be good??? One wrong move in Govt and all cash can be worth exactly nothing in paper.

A 5th of good whiskey would be worth a lot more than paper, to someone with a lot metal silver / gold maybe. But for paper??? maybe not...

For people who can't afford silver and gold and might not even want silver or gold and have room salt, pepper, booze and assorted other items might make decent trade items.

That might be pots and pans to bolts of material. I have taken bolts of wool before on trades.

Also to me it depends on how long the power is out. The power can only be out so long before the Govt behind it becomes as worthless as paper currency.

I would say if the power was out 6 + months the Govt behind it would be dead.... and any paper notes that govt issued would be as dead.
Mac, don't over think this topic.

What I was asking is for a time frame of something like a week or two.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

It's funny you should ask this because I was just thinking about this. I'd say a few grand, just to be safe, as who knows how long the digital world could be down. I'd, of course, try not to use any of that, though (I'm pretty amazing at living simply). And I suppose I'm thinking in terms of a large CA earthquake where houses might be flattened and I might need to pay for a hotel in a nearby city. Perhaps that's not what you're asking, though.

If my home were still standing and I only needed money for food and gas, beyond what's already in my kitchen and gas tank, I'd say a couple hundred, if that.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
I'd go for 2-3 weeks of cash.

But even with cash in hand, it's going to be slow going for some things and no go for others.
So much these days rely on electronics and electricity. Gas pumps, many cash registers, etc.

So having cash and trying to buy something may be just as hard as having a credit card and trying to buy something.
You'll have to really hunt for business that can operate without electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness