Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times

Advertisements

The president who feels he can assassinate U.S. citizens without trial doesn't know the meaning of limits on his power. If he replaces one of the 5 conservative SCOTUS justices kiss the second amendment good bye (unless some states grow a backbone and secede if that happens). He'll surely be filling the lower federal courts with anti-freedom judges. He's already promised to push for a new AWB. He's already imposed an illegal long gun registration scheme in the border states and blocked import of various guns. Obama detests the rights our Constitution is supposed to protect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
(unless some states grow a backbone and secede if that happens)
Wow, you love this country so much you'd try to destroy it. All this about a president to the right of Nixon, either you're brainwashed or trolling.

Could be both.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,568,624 times
Quote:
The president who feels he can assassinate U.S. citizens without trial doesn't know the meaning of limits on his power. If he replaces one of the 5 conservative SCOTUS justices kiss the second amendment good bye (unless some states grow a backbone and secede if that happens). He'll surely be filling the lower federal courts with anti-freedom judges. He's already promised to push for a new AWB. He's already imposed an illegal long gun registration scheme in the border states and blocked import of various guns. Obama detests the rights our Constitution is supposed to protect.
Distrust or fear of the government is probably one of the prime motivating factors for starting to Prep/survivialist/self sufficent and the desire to drop off the map to protect what is yours and what is precious to you.

I was working at a sporting goods store in the 1990s when clinton came to power. I remember selling huge quantities of supplies of all kinds to people who were terrified of what clinton espoused in taking away gun rights and other liberties.

My part of the country is covered with abandoned gold mines dating back to the 1860s and lots of caves as well.
Lots of them were packed with supplies of all kinds.

When George Bush was elected in 2000, sales fell off and people relaxed and went back to their lives.
In 2008 the panic spread to the point that on election day 2008 I went to buy a pound of gunpowder for reloading, and EVERYBODY was sold out. I checked stores in 5 counties before finding my pound of powder.
Same thing for 22 shells and other loaded ammunition, as well as all sorts of MREs and dehydrated foods, sleeping bags, tents, camp stoves, lanterns, the stores were picked bare and it stayed that way for a long time.
There were stores locally that would advertise when they received a shipment and what the limits of numbers of shells per customer were, and there would be a line at the door to buy what they could.

The panic dropped off after the 2010 elections, but this week I am seeing some of that happening again locally.

While I am in good shape so the election doesn't really shape what I do day-to-day, (I do the self sufficent stuff anyway), I understand the fear people have and from what I am seeing in my state, yes this election will have serious effect on what and how people prep.

The distrust of government is deepening and solidifying. Unless the politicians do something soon to regain the trust of the people, there will be some drastic changes in the near future in my opinion. I don't know if the changes will come by ballot or bullet, but I am really hoping we can keep the lid on this or SHTF will be coming sooner than later.

There are a lot of decent hard working people out there who are scared to death, and frightened people are dangerous.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 11-09-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Wow, you love this country so much you'd try to destroy it. All this about a president to the right of Nixon, either you're brainwashed or trolling.

Could be both.
I value freedom more than blind allegiance to a government. Nixon was way to the right of Obama (and I have no love for Nixon). We have a president acting like a dictator, killing U.S. citizens at will, the military can round people up now on mere suspicion here at home, the president putting in SCOTUS justices who wish to strip us of our civil rights, etc. If Obama pushes too hard I have no doubt sme states will push back hard. Some states pretty clearly threatened secession in 2008 if the SCOTUS didn't rule the way they did on Heller.

I do love this country, but it isn't me pushing to destroy it. My family has given a lot to build this country since they came here in the 1630's. One of my ancestors even signed the Constitution as a delegate. Obama wishes to undo everything generations of Americans have done to make a free republic.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM

25,674 posts, read 18,758,270 times
I really wish there were a place truly isolated from pretty much everything within the US. And I wish I were in this mythical location. There is no place like this... but if there were and if I could be granted "wish privileges" for a season, I'd grant the 50% in this country, who are in the wagon watching the other 50% pull it, their wish. And I'd sit back and let reality hit them like a steamroller:

Allow the democratic party complete control over government and every aspect of the citizenry's lives they want to meddle in. Allow them to construct their Utopia. All conservative, libertarian, constitutionalists, and any other liberty-oriented individual in government will NOT counter the democrat legislation--they will simply sit on their hands and vote "present" as Obama used to do. Get this trend over with. Let it play out as it has done historically several times. And when it crashes and burns as it has done several times, let it do so. Let those who have made their beds sleep in them. Let those who do not understand basic arithmetic watch their "new math" blow up in their face. Let those who do not understand reality suffer by their lack of understanding.

The only way to have a hard-headed small child who persistently wants to touch the hot stove learn his lesson is by letting him do so. You can tell him over and over until you are blue in the face that it's going to hurt him and not to do it. But it won't help. You can even show pictures of cousin Lisa's third-degree burns from the hospital after she touched the stove. But it won't help. Likewise, you can tell a hard-headed populace over and over until you are blue in the face that their economic/social model won't work. You can explain to them that it never has and has always failed. You can even show them where it's not working right now and how the population, who has become spoiled, is rioting in the streets because all those wonderful goodies are being taken away, BECAUSE NOBODY CAN AFFORD IT. NOBODY IS LEFT TO PAY FOR IT. The wealth has been drained from the nation. But saying these things won't help. You will only get childish, defensive remarks as if you were talking to a teenager.

So, as with a smart-assed teenager who won't listen, give him the keys. Let him drive drunk. Because that is now exactly what we are doing--driving on an economic drunk. Just let the crash happen, and cross your fingers that the lughead doesn't get himself killed.

These are the things I would say if I were completely self-sufficient, and didn't have a core, small group of family and friends that I cared for. But whether I say it or not, it's probably going to happen anyway. And life just isn't fair (isn't that what the libs always say?) because the 48% who voted against tyranny and economic collapse (my Vote for Romney wasn't for Romney, it was against tyranny and collapse) are going to go down with the ship right along with those other 50% who decided the USS Ameri-tanic's full speed ahead through ice fields was a good idea.

The way that the election will affect my preparations is to invalidate most all of them. It's time to rethink it all. Time for a different strategy that will concentrate on insulating me as completely as possible from the Utopia the other 50% think they are constructing. No more Little House on the Prairie thing. Then again, I don't know if I can live in a country where half the population just voted for tyranny and collapse (even after having lived through it for the last four years) in the name of "leveling the playing field." The only thing that is going to be leveled is a lot of decent people's lives. You folks are going to get your change for sure. Hope you enjoy it.

Again... sorry for going political again here. But this thread is, by definition, more political. May as well get it all out here. We can talk about Juneberries on another thread.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-09-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,562,047 times
Oh my word folks, calm down! The world is not coming to an end quite yet. I thought it was going to happen with the second term of G.W. Bush, but it didn't so I do understand your disappointment. I survived it and you folks will survive Obama. People have got to start behaving normal or else we won't be worrying about outside terrorist more like the ones who are american citizens right here in our country! Why do you need to stockpile so many weapons, what do you think is going to come to get you?! Sometimes I think we are all our own worse enemy. Being a President is a thankless job.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Finally, I have two job offers, (well, I had three, I've already dismissed one), and I have spent a week and a half going back and forth trying to decide which one I will take. After what happened on Tuesday, I knew which one to take. The government job. Yep. I have my reasons for it that I will not go in to here but let's just say, in the private sector, the government jacks me over badly. If I work for them, it doesn't go that way...again, for reasons I will not disclose here. They want to try to take from me? No, I will take from them. They set it up that way, I'm just using it. And with what I save from NOT being jacked over, I will stockpile even more.
I am not convinced you would be the winner in this scenario.

I understand your frustration and temptation to take advantage of the system. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive but aren't you simply choosing which master to serve, public vs. private? At least you have that choice, I guess.

You wouldn't be taking from them (gov), you would be taking from us, those who pay your salary. You will want regular salary increases, benefits, etc., and probably will fight for them. You wouldn't really be getting anything over on the gov, but rather on the taxpayers. Seems to me you might be playing right into the hands of those wanting bigger government and more government dependency.

Just another way of looking at it. I understand you don't want to go into details, neither do I, so this is just some food for thought.

I see your options as a catch-22 predicament. Good luck in any case!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Distrust or fear of the government is probably one of the prime motivating factors for starting to Prep/survivialist/self sufficent and the desire to drop off the map to protect what is yours and what is precious to you.

I was working at a sporting goods store in the 1990s when clinton came to power. I remember selling huge quantities of supplies of all kinds to people who were terrified of what clinton espoused in taking away gun rights and other liberties.

My part of the country is covered with abandoned gold mines dating back to the 1860s and lots of caves as well.
Lots of them were packed with supplies of all kinds.

When George Bush was elected in 2000, sales fell off and people relaxed and went back to their lives.
In 2008 the panic spread to the point that on election day 2008 I went to buy a pound of gunpowder for reloading, and EVERYBODY was sold out. I checked stores in 5 counties before finding my pound of powder.
Same thing for 22 shells and other loaded ammunition, as well as all sorts of MREs and dehydrated foods, sleeping bags, tents, camp stoves, lanterns, the stores were picked bare and it stayed that way for a long time.
There were stores locally that would advertise when they received a shipment and what the limits of numbers of shells per customer were, and there would be a line at the door to buy what they could.

The panic dropped off after the 2010 elections, but this week I am seeing some of that happening again locally.

While I am in good shape so the election doesn't really shape what I do day-to-day, (I do the self sufficent stuff anyway), I understand the fear people have and from what I am seeing in my state, yes this election will have serious effect on what and how people prep.

The distrust of government is deepening and solidifying. Unless the politicians do something soon to regain the trust of the people, there will be some drastic changes in the near future in my opinion. I don't know if the changes will come by ballot or bullet, but I am really hoping we can keep the lid on this or SHTF will be coming sooner than later.

There are a lot of decent hard working people out there who are scared to death, and frightened people are dangerous.

Just my 2 cents.
What is the deal with all the ammo and weapons? I can see maybe canned goods, water, sleeping bags etc., but only in the event we have an earthquake, hurricane, snowstorm or something along those lines! When I hear these kind of thoughts and stories, I am just actually bewildered and horrified!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,628,605 times
Quote:
I value freedom more than blind allegiance to a government. Nixon was way to the right of Obama (and I have no love for Nixon). We have a president acting like a dictator, killing U.S. citizens at will, the military can round people up now on mere suspicion here at home, the president putting in SCOTUS justices who wish to strip us of our civil rights, etc. If Obama pushes too hard I have no doubt sme states will push back hard. Some states pretty clearly threatened secession in 2008 if the SCOTUS didn't rule the way they did on Heller.

I do love this country, but it isn't me pushing to destroy it. My family has given a lot to build this country since they came here in the 1630's. One of my ancestors even signed the Constitution as a delegate. Obama wishes to undo everything generations of Americans have done to make a free republic.
The National Guard was rounding up people in New Orleans when we had a republican president.

I don't know which freedom you are talking about? Streets are covered in cameras, they are introducing drones into our own air space, license plate recognition systems are everywhere. This stuff has been happening regardless of who is president.

In the county we lived in in Florida if you wanted to build a pool the law said you had to fence it, save for someone else's child drowned in it. The local government took it upon itself to make me liable for someone else's bad parenting.

Let me ask you this: why am I given a ticket if I don't wear a seatbelt? After all IT IS MY LIFE we are talking about.

Building codes on individual homes made to benefit the banks and insurance companies under the pretext of protecting people.

Income taxes going to bogus wars started by a republican president. TSA pat downs started under a republican president. Biometric chips started under a republican president. PATRIOT act voted under a republican president. Electronic surveillance in bed with telecommunications companies (all the way to wires in their lockers) under a republican president.

You have to realize something - it doesn't really matter who you voted for.

OD

Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I am not convinced you would be the winner in this scenario.

I understand your frustration and temptation to take advantage of the system. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive but aren't you simply choosing which master to serve, public vs. private? At least you have that choice, I guess.

You wouldn't be taking from them (gov), you would be taking from us, those who pay your salary. You will want regular salary increases, benefits, etc., and probably will fight for them. You wouldn't really be getting anything over on the gov, but rather on the taxpayers. Seems to me you might be playing right into the hands of those wanting bigger government and more government dependency.

Just another way of looking at it. I understand you don't want to go into details, neither do I, so this is just some food for thought.

I see your options as a catch-22 predicament. Good luck in any case!
If you are a mechanic and someone brings their car to you to get it fixed, do you expect to get paid? Do you charge what the mechanic charged 30 years ago for labor? How the heck do you protect someone like me who is afraid of all of these weapons? I'm a taxpayer, don't my feelings count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness