Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would like to especially note that this is a self-sufficiency and preparedness forum.

Ever wonder why when the govt. stockpiles stuff or buys bulk orders of ammo some people view it as a sinister conspiracy where they are getting ready to "do something"?

What do they think of some prepper doing the same? Do they assume the prepper is preparing to start a race war or commit crimes and then hold up in their bunker?

It's just ironic to me.
What I find ironic is that we are actually having these discussions. Seriously. This is what gives other real self-sufficiency folks a bad name - the discussions of FEMA coffins, some crazy a** theory of islands slipping into god-knows-what... Come on...

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM

78,375 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
What I find ironic is that we are actually having these discussions. Seriously. This is what gives other real self-sufficiency folks a bad name - the discussions of FEMA coffins, some crazy a** theory of islands slipping into god-knows-what... Come on...

OD
Well, the las palmas islands landslide isn't a theory, it's just a geological phenomenon that has happened before and is just meant as an example of something that could go wrong, like the Madrid fault, Yellowstone and so forth. All documented, all have and will happen....eventually.

There are a million good reasons to prep, any of them alone is unlikely to occur in our lifetimes but the odds of one of them occuring from a list of many produces higher odds.

Best of luck.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
mathguy I like your joke..... But this was all about just earth quakes..... Anyway i still want my plastic coffin liners for grains, sap maybe and to paddle like a canoe..... I have a WW-1 vintage canoe but a big plastic rectangle one could be fun too. maybe tow it behind a sled in wintah'

I know about the Canary Islands too

I can't find it on the web, but the Ossipee Ringdike is hundreds of years over due. Back in the early 80's i had a paper copy of an Edison Report, about the magnetic and non-magnetic plutons.

It talked about the difference in rock types here, from that of the west coast. The main idea was that when this fault line breaks it will be a zinger... The line runs to Plum Island off Ipswich Ma and thence into the sea and i can't say where, going on all memory as it is..

But the line I get might run right thru the cape Cod Canal.......

Jus' sayin since you seem into the obscure. and if you do happen to find out anything from the web i sure would like to know.

If you have google earth put in West Ossipee or Tamworth NH

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 11-15-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM

78,375 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
mathguy I like your joke..... But this was all about just earth quakes..... Anyway i still want my plastic coffin liners for grains, sap maybe and to paddle like a canoe..... I have a WW-1 vintage canoe but a big plastic rectangle one could be fun too. maybe tow it behind a sled in wintah'

I know about the Canary Islands too

I can't find it on the web, but the Ossipee Ringdike is hundreds of years over due. Back in the early 80's i had a paper copy of an Edison Report, about the magnetic and non-magnetic plutons.

It talked about the difference in rock types here, from that of the west coast. The main idea was that when this fault line breaks it will be a zinger... The line runs to Plum Island off Ipswich Ma and thence into the sea and i can't say where, going on all memory as it is..

But the line I get might run right thru the cape Cod Canal.......

Jus' sayin since you seem into the obscure. and if you do happen to find out anything from the web i sure would like to know.

If you have google earth put in West Ossipee or Tamworth NH
Hey I will +1 you for this if it let's me. Absolutely appreciate the information, never heard of it but will look it up. (I did some looking but just found some casual references to it.)

The biggest EQ risk I'm aware of has to be Tokyo. Nat. Geo had an article on it not so long ago and their track record of doing a solid analysis of the range of possible outcomes is excellent. Their article on what would happen to New Orleans if a strong storm hit turned out to be spot on when Katrina showed up years later and they explained why it would go bad, mitigating steps etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness