Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times

Advertisements

Abundant petroleum in forms that are easy to refine have been exploited and are mostly gone. Is everyone in agreement with that statement?

With the abundant and easy petroleum gone, now we shift to harder to access petroleum, that is also harder to process.

Doesn't this define Peak Oil? Oil has became harder to access, and it has became more difficult to process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,840,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Abundant petroleum in forms that are easy to refine have been exploited and are mostly gone. Is everyone in agreement with that statement?

With the abundant and easy petroleum gone, now we shift to harder to access petroleum, that is also harder to process.

Doesn't this define Peak Oil? Oil has became harder to access, and it has became more difficult to process.
Not for the people who are making profit from oil. They will keep telling you it is abundant and inexhaustible.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,086,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
40 years in the industry and a whole bunch of SPE papers says you don't know jack and it's a complete waste of time trying to engage in any kind of dialog with you so you can continue to spew your nonsense to the gullible. I've been more threatened by gnats than you.
Again with the personal attacks (which violate board rules BTW) and yet not a word of honest rebuttal. That says a lot more than your empty jargon and "claims" of expertise. Sad.

Last edited by Coaster; 07-23-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM

One month does not a trend make, but ... Saudi Arabia's oil exports fell to a three-year low despite a slight rise in production as domestic consumption rose. Combine this with Russia's drop in exports (noted above) and there might (might!) be cause to worry just a little about the future availability and price of export oil.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
not sure where I read it, but I did read that the USA is supposed to have about 9.5 trillion barrels of oil still in the ground. if true, then I don't know what people are talking about peak oil.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
not sure where I read it, but I did read that the USA is supposed to have about 9.5 trillion barrels of oil still in the ground. if true, then I don't know what people are talking about peak oil.
If that were true, no one would be talking about peak oil. Since lots of people are talking about it ...

Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM

68 posts, read 55,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post

seems talk of peak oil might have been a little premature

Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
If that were true, no one would be talking about peak oil. Since lots of people are talking about it ...
Lots of people talk about bigfoot too.....

Peak oil adherents remind me of this guy,

Harold Camping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2014, 07:58 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,525,559 times
Wow! That Peak Oil thing has driven prices into the Stratasphere. Getting real tired of waiting in lines for my five gallon a month ration.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 AM

20 posts, read 17,935 times
Peak Oil? Actually it is happening as we speak. The caveat is that the biggest talking heads in the peak oil camp were largely fear-mongering doomers who figured everything would go to hell overnight and wanted you to keep buying their books, reading their blogs, and buying the products they pushed (usually gold, ammo, and 900 cans of prepackage meals...!)

The way it is happening is simple....fracking, contrary to what people think is not remotely new. It has been around for a long time. What has made it suddenly viable was the high cost of oil. People look at US production and how it has grown and yet we are still well below the peak from the 1970's, despite all the money, all the technology that has been thrown at drilling.

I always wonder how people rationalize the obvious fact of so many massive projects drilling miles and miles undersea in deep water, searching for oil under the arctic, etc. It's because the easy oil has long been found.

Peak oil isn't going to mean the lights go dark, rather slowly more and more oil projects are no longer worth pursuing because the energy costs, time, money, and difficulty make them infeasible. It is also impacted by the economics affecting oil companies. Because of how bad the economy continues to be for all but the rich and super-rich, there has been a reduction in oil demand which then in turn is hammering the oil companies. The US frackers are quite vulnerable right now and if oil were to go to say, $40, most of them would likely be out of business. That would then lower production and start the boom bust cycle again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness