Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,404 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there familiar with Peak Oil? Do you believe it is or will affect our lives soon, or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM

194 posts, read 505,705 times
I'm sure it will. Whether it will be in 10 years or in another 50 years or longer is up for debate. Just think about how much modern society relies on oil (fuel, plastics, chemicals, asphalt, construction, etc.) and it's a little daunting.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,868,888 times
It already is affecting our lives. Haven't you noticed the never ending recession?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,247 times
Eventually we'll run out of oil but that date keeps getting pushed further and further into the future.

Shoot, current projections are that the US is going to be a net EXPORTER of oil in just a couple of years. We're on track to export more than Saudi Arabia!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Anyone out there familiar with Peak Oil? Do you believe it is or will affect our lives soon, or not?
If it's a matter of belief it belongs to Religion Forum. There are no oil/gas left in the formerly swampy areas of Ohio. It's well past peak, it's zero. If my corner of Ohio is dry, sooner or later Texas and Saudi Arabia would go dry too. Mankind essentially transformed energy of oil it extracted into human biomass. We just can't decrease energy consumption to the early 19th century levels, it would mean mass human die off. So we just pretend that nothing is happening and everything would work out fine.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Eventually we'll run out of oil but that date keeps getting pushed further and further into the future.

Shoot, current projections are that the US is going to be a net EXPORTER of oil in just a couple of years. We're on track to export more than Saudi Arabia!
Not a chance. USA consume 25% of world's oil, 50% of that is import. US oil production should double just to break even.

NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. oil output is surging so fast that the United States could soon overtake Saudi Arabia as the world's biggest producer.

U.S. could surpass Saudi oil output by 2020

Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
It will happen eventually but the truth is technological advances mean lots and lots of new hydrocarbon sources will come on line. We're already seeing it with the tar sands and shale oil. There is also a ton of off shore oil which we're only beginning to tap.

Of course, all of these new sources are more expensive to produce so the era of cheap oil is pretty much gone and instead we're going to have plentiful but more expensive supply especially as over 2 billion people in Asia now are getting their first cars and motorbikes and we still have another 2-3 billion world wide to go.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 AM

I wish I wan't so tired last night when I started this thread. I had a PO panic attack this week, and wanted to get the conversation started.

I believe we have entered PO, yes. Sometimes, however, it is difficult to swallow. Then, I notice how things really ARE changing and have changed and I worry about both the near and distant future. There's a great deal to talk about concerning that! Then, I realize just how vulnerable I am in this new world. Videos on the 'net that explain the end of suburbia and PO will set this off. So, I try to "prepare" as best I can in my situation, knowing that whatever I am doing probably isn't going to make much difference. Is anyone else going through this?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
who cares? bring it on. just another way to decrease the surplus population......

Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM

To continue: I'm leery of predictions of the future. The worst is yet to come, and it's always "just around the corner, in another few more years".Way back in senior year of high school, some 30+ years ago, a class instructor had us read about topics such as this. One reading (maybe a World Watch paper??) predicted that anyone with a career in television, radio, photography,the motion picture industry should change careers right now because these industries had no future and would not exist in the next 15- 20 years. They'd be gone. Well, just look at all the advances and prevalence of high-tech, entertainment, etc. I never imagined there'd be cell phones, let alone ones that could take video, pics and such.

So, here we are, 30+ years later, gasoline is now higher than ever, yet around here nobody does anything about it except complain. There is little or no interest in mass transit or carpooling. Gas may be expensive, but it is still there. Stores seemed crammed with (to me, anyway) utterly foolish junk, all imported. Some are beginning to care about imported foods and produce food locally, but try to bring the topic up and many just shrug or roll their eyes and smirk derisively. So, are we wrong about PO and the the way it will shape our lives? I do believe PO is indeed happening, but this isn't what I envisioned.

Then, I do see all the negatives. The very things above could also be seen as examples of PO. Naturally, I start to panic, esp. if I search on the 'net and do some reading and watching of videos!

How does a person prepare for PO? A first response might be to have a home on some land, in order to grow food. This is not an option at this time for some of us. So, what is someone in that situation going to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness