Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Are we looking at the same thread? Here's the original posting...
As far as I know yes. It's the same thread. She mentioned she couldn't stay with her children or friends. Read the entire thread.

Where someone else got the money to buy a van, not really pertinent, because, erm, they have a van, which means they have some form of shelter, it may not be ideal, but it's something. It was you that said

I'm just pointing out that the really homeless probably can't afford the money for a van of any kind, because; you know; they're actually homeless and they can't afford to pay for any kind of accommodations; nor do they have any land to at least pitch a tent on, since if they did they wouldn't be homeless.

Yes which is why I said to try to move past hand to mouth. It's the first priority, if you're living hand to mouth, HOW are you going to get any sort of cushion if things go badly, it doesn't matter if it's a credit card charge for a late fee, or the collapse of western civilization, if there isn't a cushion, then they're going to have to cut some essential.

See quoted post above from the thread I think we're discussing...

Perfectly acceptable uses, I lived in a Wall tent for 2 years while we built our cabin, since all the alternatives were at least 20 miles away, and more than we'd have liked to pay (given they were all under 800 sq ft. dry cabins and running at about $2k/month talk about crazy rent, try interior AK). It's also perfectly fine to live in a tin can to save money (although you might be surprised when including energy costs in the cold of winter or heat of summer). Someone up here in a 30' goose-neck trailer went through 500 gallons of heating oil and 200 gallons of gas (electrical baseboard heating) in 3 months.[/quote]

The whole point of those RV posts was lost........... Not everyone homeless is BROKE. Penniless. Without savings, even if it's only a few thousand dollars. The whole point was if someone lost their home or apartment and couldn't afford the high rents of today, or didn't want to pay the outrageous rents now, there is an alternative and that is RVs in one form or another. Collectively they're called RVs, be they 5th wheels, converted vans, travel-trailers,ect.

People go RVing, not travel-trailering or 5th wheeling, or converted-vanning.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Hate to break it to you, but I'm Airstreaming...

Most people I know talk about 'hauling the travel trailer'

Don't know any RVers or people who say they are "going RVing"

But if you won't listen to insurance companies or DMV's... Your gonna keep ignoring me.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Could you actually fit into the shower and use it?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Hate to break it to you, but I'm Airstreaming...
Hate to break this to you, but it's collectively called RVing. I never heard anyone say they're Thor'ing or BigHorning, or Sunlineing or, JayFeathering or Cougaring or NorthTrailering or HolidayRambeling. So you old boy are quite wrong.

Quote:
Most people I know talk about 'hauling the travel trailer'
Strange people. All those we met in the past 5+ years use the term RVing.

Quote:
Don't know any RVers or people who say they are "going RVing"
Everyone we ever met in the Resorts and Campgrounds calls it RVing.

Quote:
But if you won't listen to insurance companies or DMV's... Your gonna keep ignoring me.
Of course I'll ignore you. I don't care what people like you call RVing. We care what the people who go RVing call it. I couldn't care less what the DMV or Ins Co's call it.

BTW, every RV Forum has equal space for TTs, 5thWheels, Popups, Class-A,B and Cs and all forms of RV out there. That is unless you go to a special mfgs forum who only makes one type of RV, which I do not frequent.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Air forums, which has one place for SOB's (some other brand)
And the rest for air streams...

IIRC links aren't allowed, but feel free to go there and look up streaming

Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
When we were on the USA MC tour i bought a van in Arkansas, because we hit enough winter it mattered.

NH to Cal, Cal to Fla, Fla to Ok,Ok to Ar so we rode the country on the bike both ways before we hit winter. i had the idea Ar was south of winter. I was WRONG

These shots are just after redecorating This is a 1986 conversion van with a bench seat that folds to a bed sort of. I removed the 2 captains chairs from the middle section.

The old fabric was toxic, breaking down urea from the foam.

NASTY STUFF

New liner of turtle fur

new wall for real

detail of new walls

new head liner

new door treatment with real oak to mount old switches..

Now I am bragging..... this is a detail of the engine cover with rope inside the wall covering cloth to make piping to hide the raw edge of the floor carpet

Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Moderator cut: Off topic

I'd still like to know if a van can hold a shower usable by anyone but an anorexic midget.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 12-07-2012 at 01:36 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Moderator cut: Off topic

I'd still like to know if a van can hold a shower usable by anyone but an anorexic midget.
That depends..... A typical shower in a van size vehicle means you would sit on the pot to also shower as many sail boats are like. The drain is just in the floor, and the area gets wet too.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 12-07-2012 at 01:36 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Interesting.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Well, it's all academic because I'm just too big to fit into any shower I could install into my van ..... a solar shower is good enough for me, though a privacy curtain thingy for outside would be a nice addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness