Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
Non-sense.
A cheerleader with a taser or pepper spray can put down a lineback quickly.
Esp, with a few 'martial' arts moves.
Heck, a cheerleader with a good pair of steel-toed boots can put down a linebacker with a well-placed kick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I have multiple firearms, but in the event that I am unable to access or use them for some reason, I also have other weapons available and am prepared to use anything within reach in my location as a weapon should it be necessary.

As mentioned in another thread awhile back... you can do some serious damage with everyday objects, like a glass salt shaker or ceramic/metal dog dish. And the best thing is, no one expects you to start wailing on them with an clothes iron or a broom stick when they've got a gun.

And as for "the big guy always wins"... what a load of drivel. If you believe that the big guy will always win, then he will. But if you beleive that the big might have a good chance of winning, but you are going to make it as difficult and painful for him in the process, then you just might win instead.

I'm a 5'6" average female who's had more than her fair share of intense altercations with men much larger and stronger than I am... and I'm still walking around, despite not having a gun at the time or any real martial arts/personal combat training. When I was attacked in a parking lot, I stepped inside his reach* and bludgeoned the jerk's torso with my tire iron. When I was assaulted in a bar, I brained the jerk with a pool ball. When I was pinned on the ground in an alley I head-butted the jerk and then bit him in the face. Yes, in all these instances I was hurt in the process, but I survived against a much larger and stronger person. You just have to be prepared mentally to fight back... win or lose, don't make it easy.

* Inability to effectively strike inside one's reach or under one's shoulder height are commonly known DISADVANTAGES of a large person fighting a small person. Smaller people also tend to be faster and more agile because they don't have the mass and swing length that larger people do. So, there are advantages and disadvantages to both, nothing is guaranteed!!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:58 PM

603 posts, read 967,082 times
Whatever, I'm about 4.3 on the Kinsey scale.
But, I seriously did not know, and still don't, where that picture came from.
But, I served my country, protected it's freedoms in multiple theaters...
So, some clown in a gay costume doesn't bother me much...
That's the freedom I was protecting.

Not to be stoned to death from barbarians.

When you're getting fired upon, the last thing in your mind is sex.
Or, the sexual orientation of your battle buddy.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I have multiple firearms, but in the event that I am unable to access or use them for some reason, I also have other weapons available and am prepared to use anything within reach in my location as a weapon should it be necessary.

As mentioned in another thread awhile back... you can do some serious damage with everyday objects, like a glass salt shaker or ceramic/metal dog dish. And the best thing is, no one expects you to start wailing on them with an clothes iron or a broom stick when they've got a gun.

And as for "the big guy always wins"... what a load of drivel. If you believe that the big guy will always win, then he will. But if you beleive that the big might have a good chance of winning, but you are going to make it as difficult and painful for him in the process, then you just might win instead.

I'm a 5'6" average female who's had more than her fair share of intense altercations with men much larger and stronger than I am... and I'm still walking around, despite not having a gun at the time or any real martial arts/personal combat training. When I was attacked in a parking lot, I stepped inside his reach* and bludgeoned the jerk's torso with my tire iron. When I was assaulted in a bar, I brained the jerk with a pool ball. When I was pinned on the ground in an alley I head-butted the jerk and then bit him in the face. Yes, in all these instances I was hurt in the process, but I survived against a much larger and stronger person. You just have to be prepared mentally to fight back... win or lose, don't make it easy.

* Inability to effectively strike inside one's reach or under one's shoulder height are commonly known DISADVANTAGES of a large person fighting a small person. Smaller people also tend to be faster and more agile because they don't have the mass and swing length that larger people do. So, there are advantages and disadvantages to both, nothing is guaranteed!!

As a 6 foot + individual, I've been brought my knees multiple time by little guys with heart.
By the way, I never instigated these fights...one time it was three against one.
You know how 'they' do...

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
If you are worried about your windows I'd make a "nail board" for the sill. Cut a board as wide and as long to cover and fit tightly into the windowsill inside in the opening area of the window. Make it tight enough to stay put but removable from the inside without major effort or special tools. Pound nails of different heights into the strip fully. Cover the wood with nails. Finer nails work well. Put the board nail head side down in the window sill at night. Anyone trying to get in will make contact and noise. Looks something like this: LLLLLLLLLLLLLLl Cheap and easy. Get the kids busy. I'd take it out during the day. You want the element of surprise. Personally I might take the bankruptcy if you can rent something in a safer area for the same or less. Again, good luck.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 12-12-2012 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
If you are worried about your windows I'd make a "nail board" for the sill. Cut a board as wide and as long to cover and fit tightly into the windowsill inside in the opening area of the window. Make it tight enough to stay put but removable from the inside without major effort or special tools. Pound nails of different heights into the strip fully. Cover the wood with nails. Finer nails work well. Put the board nail head side down in the window sill at night. Anyone trying to get in will make contact and noise. Looks something like this: LLLLLLLLLLLLLLl Cheap and easy. Get the kids busy. I'd take it out during the day. You want the element of surprise. Personally I might take the bankruptcy if you can rent something in a safer area for the same or less. Again, good luck.
You can pull that off in Ak for bears. Try that in the lower 48 and the Fire Dept will have something to say about it.

FaceInTheCrowd the pics are not about 'gay' they are about something else, which might be gay, but might not be gay.. i ain't buyin' you don't know.

In fact i am begining to think you are a sock puppet of someone else we all know.. Your just having a good time.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Here's a neat trick to get revenge if your nonlethal weapons don't do the job. Take an empty Gatorade bottle, the one that has the green liquid in it. Fill it 50/50 with water and antifreeze then place it in the refrigerator. After a burglary or after a long session of rape and torture the criminal may get thirsty.

How can anyone call it a boobytrap? It's just a convenient way to store it so I won't misplace it. Anyway, I own a shovel, or even better, skeletons, particularly skulls, bring excellent prices.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You can pull that off in Ak for bears. Try that in the lower 48 and the Fire Dept will have something to say about it.

FaceInTheCrowd the pics are not about 'gay' they are about something else, which might be gay, but might not be gay.. i ain't buyin' you don't know.

In fact i am begining to think you are a sock puppet of someone else we all know.. Your just having a good time.

My question: the **** does it matter?
If I was in a ****hole being fired on by insurgents, do you think I would question my buddy's sexual fantasies? Seriously? So what if I'm 'gay'? I served. I fought. I killed men. That will last in my mind the rest of my days....

And, I fought for the rights of freedom.
And, stand here to defend that in my household...

Now, back to the topic...

Now, handgrip or use it like a piledriver, brassknuckles sort of thing?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Here's a neat trick to get revenge if your nonlethal weapons don't do the job. Take an empty Gatorade bottle, the one that has the green liquid in it. Fill it 50/50 with water and antifreeze then place it in the refrigerator. After a burglary or after a long session of rape and torture the criminal may get thirsty.

How can anyone call it a boobytrap? It's just a convenient way to store it so I won't misplace it. Anyway, I own a shovel, or even better, skeletons, particularly skulls, bring excellent prices.
I heard the only way to buy a skull was if you were a Doctor.
Or a WW2 vet, who kept many, such, 'souvenirs'.

Good work, boys, they did worse...
Think my Grandad, a American-German, had one of these...
But, it was Korean, so ...not sure if that counts...

Little nip.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post

You have the right mindset to begin with. "Refuse to be a victim." That is a large part of the battle. That handful of passengers on Flight 93 had that attitude and saved a lot of people on the ground because of it. Yes, many everyday items can become weapons. Pencils, belts, socks, neckties, keys, chairs, etc. We should always be aware of what is around us, especially when we are in places where we cannot have our firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness