Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 PM

69 posts, read 84,539 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Have you joined or formed a buying club? I'm thinking of starting one, but thought I'd ask if you guys have had experience doing this.

If you have, was it a good experience? What should I be mindful of?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepHappy View Post
Hello all!Have you joined or formed a buying club? I'm thinking of starting one, but thought I'd ask if you guys have had experience doing this.
Thanks in advance.
Yes I have, my advise is to keep very sanitary conditions in the place where the food order is divided and use a certified scale if packages of items such as huge sacks of rice or beans need to be opened and subdivided for each members orders.
Another thing is to do the dividing with several members present.
If you use a federal wholesale tax ID number to facilitate the wholesale purchase of the food, there may be a bit of explaining to do to the IRS, or set up a non profit corporation to operate the food co-op under.
There may be some regulations that I am not aware of depending on where you are and my info could already be outdated by now so perhaps someone will have more data for you.
Good luck and good for you to start a food buying club.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I am a member of a Buyer Club.

It is difficult to actually save any money.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Yes I have, my advise is to keep very sanitary conditions in the place where the food order is divided and use a certified scale if packages of items such as huge sacks of rice or beans need to be opened and subdivided for each members orders.
Another thing is to do the dividing with several members present.
If you use a federal wholesale tax ID number to facilitate the wholesale purchase of the food, there may be a bit of explaining to do to the IRS, or set up a non profit corporation to operate the food co-op under.
There may be some regulations that I am not aware of depending on where you are and my info could already be outdated by now so perhaps someone will have more data for you.
Good luck and good for you to start a food buying club.
Wow! Thank you for all your specific advisement! What a wealth of information, I appreciate your time in responding.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Buying clubs are a great way to get discounts by buying in bulk direct from manufacturers thus cutting out the middle man and getting goods at lower prices. The problem is they usually require a substantial up front investment and everyone in the buying club has to agree on what it is they want to buy. I imagine most of them end up breaking up over disputes about what to buy and what not to buy.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
We had a health food buying club when we taught on the remote navajo reservation & also when we were living in Colorado. We would take turns tallying & turning in the original order. We would take turns meeting the food cooperative truck to pick up the food. But we would all get together to divide up the food, check orders, etc. Usually we would each open up some of our snack food to share. Then we would take turns doing the accounting to figure how much each paid. It usually was less than our original order since some things would be out.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Hello all!

Have you joined or formed a buying club? I'm thinking of starting one, but thought I'd ask if you guys have had experience doing this.

Thanks in advance.
You should be mindful of the fact that a buying club for survival supplies is a complete breech of confidentiality and security, OPSEC if you prefer. We need to build up our supplies secretly, trusting as few people as possible. Even family members pose a threat in that they may tell someone what you're doing. Even in normal times, burglaries, robberies, and murders are usually the result of criminals learning of accessible plunder. In the event of social upheaval, a time when many previously law-abiding citizens will become criminals, it's imperative that the knowledge of whatever items of value we've acquired must be a closely guarded secret.

It's not worh it to save pennies. Add a little bit to your grocery purchases; spend a little more at gun shows; but don't make a splash. This is not an activity to share or brag about. If you need that in your life find something that doesn't make you a target.

Discuss survival topics here or on other anonymous fora. You may encounter peple whom you trust and who trust you. But if you misjudge they're not in your area.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks in advance.

joined a group of people that buy supplies and ammo about 17 years ago. we pretty much have as many firearms as we will ever need.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 AM

Oh my goodness you guys! I totally didn't thank you for your thoughtful replies.

Thank you! Very helpful as I start my journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness