Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times

Advertisements

A follow-up on snares and traps.

Consider getting some live traps as well. That way, you can keep the animals alive then cage them until it's time to eat. E.g. if you catch 3 squirrels in a day, eat one but build a cage for the other 2 so you can eat them later in the week. If you catch rabbits, save them for breeding so you have perpetual food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
A follow-up on snares and traps.

Consider getting some live traps as well. That way, you can keep the animals alive then cage them until it's time to eat. E.g. if you catch 3 squirrels in a day, eat one but build a cage for the other 2 so you can eat them later in the week. If you catch rabbits, save them for breeding so you have perpetual food.
I sure hope you live in Texas if or when SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. You and ChrisC would be great neighbors.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I sure hope you live in Texas if or when SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. You and ChrisC would be great neighbors.
Sorry Cowdog, TX isn't really close.

A couple other things that come to mind and relate to exchange of your services for their goods.

They kill it and field strip. You process the meat and hide. That could be everything from canning, drying, brining or cooking the meat. You also tan the hides. You split the results with the hunter(s).

Figuring everyone is darn near on foot in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation, discuss with them the thoughts on mutual defense. They're going to be close (otherwise, they wouldn't be hauling the meat to you). Work with a group of hunters to hunt the food but also maintain a perimeter around the area. You'll have to pull your weight in this setup. It may be food and food prep, lodging, laundry, clean water...

Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM

69 posts, read 84,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
They kill it and field strip. You process the meat and hide. That could be everything from canning, drying, brining or cooking the meat. You also tan the hides. You split the results with the hunter(s).
Ryan: Very nice post-SHTF business. I like it.

Cowdog: Birdseed. Nice one.

VERY solid suggestions guys. Now if I only knew some hunters well enough.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Well, most people would probably laugh if you offered them birdseed. Most modern hunters would be lost during an "end of the world" SHTF. Baiting animals will be very important and nearly all of them, from birds, water fowl, land animals, and even fish will eat birdseed. It can also be used as feed for live animals and even the hunter and his family can use it for sprouts if needed. It can also feed other non traditional foods that most people will not even think about (I'm keeping those to myself!).

Half a handful everyday for two weeks in the same area of a pond/lake/river and 5 mins later on day 15 go around the area with a net/seine you will have fish, also on every day after. Or just add a fish trap to the area.

Half a handful every 3 days in front of a birdhouse will net you 50 to 175 eggs a year in the box, without having to kill the bird.

That's just two examples. It's actually amazing all the possibilities if you just think about it for a while. Most people do not realize the power of birdseed to survive long term.

BUT .......

It's only for "end of the world as we know it events", not needed for just living a few weeks through SHTF (hurricane, earthquake, flood, winter storm, or whatever) that most people prepare for. Better to have a generator and fuel for that.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I wouldn't want
1. Women
2. Booze
3. Smokes

Well booze maybe but it would have to exceed 100% for medical use.
I got a wife and she would be miffed if i took to wild wimin'.
Got no use of weeds to smoke.. none well except for maybe in black fly season, but a smudge fire does that pretty well.

I would take common ammo as cash, change really. I would still have my code of ethics too. Not going to claim I have honor, but I will still have morals as well, just looser.

People will be treated as they treat me. Scare me and you better be gone... get on ok and i will get on ok.

I would take silver, seeds, and gold too.

Might trade for birds, that would depend on what i was up to and or how fast i was moving.

Since i don't know what SHTF might be I can't say for sure if I would stay put.

Say the ancient volcano centered 3 miles from be goes up and the ground starts shackin i am the Hell outta here if i can...

Don't want birds then...

If it is just the feds loose their shirt, and the economy goes down then maybe I would trade for birds. I never had tasty politician and eggs before.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Both now or after TSHTF: edibles that you have to stay in one place to produce. Dried fruit, jams, vegetables, home made candies and pastries, home baked bread.

After TSHTF, leather repairs, bug repellant, a safe place to stop for a few days, sleep warm, and smoke meats. Medical treatment for injuries, hair cuts, flour, dried beans, canteens, honey. Shoeing for their horses. Coffee, but I don't know where you would get it. If I have coffee, I am hiding it to make it last as long as possible, because it won't be replaceable. (same for chocolate; I am not sharing)

Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
most women in a shtf situation will probably be able to support themselves. booze and smokes will be 2nd as well, because an empty stomach will take priority over your empty stomach.
Women able to support themselves? In this society? Surely you jest. My wife and girls, maybe yours, and a host of others like them could potentially do ok on their own. Most women and girls? Not a chance. The dynamic that exists now, where emasculated and emaciated men of all ages tolerate modern woman's shallowness and materialism in exchange for sex, will no longer apply. All the half-men will either die off, be slaves of one stripe or another, or band together into devious and short-lived gangs subsisting by petty thievery and preying on those weaker than themselves. That is, until they are gobbled up by a gang meaner that themselves, or chewed up and spat out by the first tactically proficient resistance they encounter. No more sensitive, submissive men after just a few months. Those who are left will either be vicious and predatory with little to no value placed on life, to which women will be little more than slaves and often cast aside in favor of new flavors, or they will be men who already have family and have no need or resources for people who offer no benefit to them and their "tribe". The world, post-collapse, will not be a kind or gentle place for anyone, much less for women who have little real use in the new reality.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
most women in a shtf situation will probably be able to support themselves. booze and smokes will be 2nd as well, because an empty stomach will take priority over your empty stomach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
History paints a rather different picture than what you've just wrote.
Wasn't just women. There's a reason that divorce wasn't popular until the 20th century and it's b/c men and women needed each other. Most of that is b/c they had very specific types of work they could do and generally women did the kinds of work that would allow them to care for children at the same time. Having a toddler run around in a blacksmith shop just wasn't going to work. I suspect that male chauvinism has advanced and receded throughout history but until we had machines to do most of our work, we had to rely on each other.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepHappy View Post
Ryan: Very nice post-SHTF business. I like it.

Cowdog: Birdseed. Nice one.

VERY solid suggestions guys. Now if I only knew some hunters well enough.
If tshtf, you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness