Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Johann Wolgang Von Goethe once said: "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.".

We used to laugh at Soviet Union and the countries behind the iron curtain. However, there people knew not to trust anyone, they knew they were not free and they knew that whoever they talked to, whatever they did could have or would have been recorded or reported or both. There was no illusions about any of that. In a sense, these people at least knew where they stood.

My $.02
Through most all of your posts that I've read on this topic, you seem to be for "living with it" rather than "fixing it." And of course, you should be free to feel that way.

But not everyone agrees that a collective police state is the way to go. Some of us see it as not much better than outright enslavement. Now of course, especially at this point in our technological nightmare, I personally don't think there is thing one we can do about it. It's too late. We're becoming a dangerous version of Idiocracy. It will just have to play out until the populace is no longer able to bear the shackles, or until the state goes broke and collapses because folks get tired of funding it. And then... chaos for a long time. It's happened a thousand times through history--and we never learn. So we, unfortunately, deserve what we will be getting. We did it to ourselves.

But even though there is nothing to be done about it right now, that doesn't stop the field mouse from giving the swooping hawk the middle finger. There is at least some satisfaction in defiance, even if it is a last token gesture without any teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Sometimes it seems that we are giving up our personal freedom in increments so small that we don't realize what is going on until it is too late.
It is not easy to find someone under about the age of 40 who hasn't been brainwashed into believing that government is the answer to everything. We as humans know that we are doomed to repeat history if we don't learn from it, yet we repeat it over and over. They say, this time it will be different --- yeah right, it never is.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:06 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Through most all of your posts that I've read on this topic, you seem to be for "living with it" rather than "fixing it." And of course, you should be free to feel that way.

But not everyone agrees that a collective police state is the way to go. Some of us see it as not much better than outright enslavement. Now of course, especially at this point in our technological nightmare, I personally don't think there is thing one we can do about it. It's too late. We're becoming a dangerous version of Idiocracy. It will just have to play out until the populace is no longer able to bear the shackles, or until the state goes broke and collapses because folks get tired of funding it. And then... chaos for a long time. It's happened a thousand times through history--and we never learn. So we, unfortunately, deserve what we will be getting. We did it to ourselves.

But even though there is nothing to be done about it right now, that doesn't stop the field mouse from giving the swooping hawk the middle finger. There is at least some satisfaction in defiance, even if it is a last token gesture without any teeth.
Eh? Where do you see that I am OK with being an entry in a database?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
It is not easy to find someone under about the age of 40 who hasn't been brainwashed into believing that government is the answer to everything. We as humans know that we are doomed to repeat history if we don't learn from it, yet we repeat it over and over. They say, this time it will be different --- yeah right, it never is.
I guess some of us believe in the possibility of a GOOD government, for the people, by the people, one that only does good and no bad.

OD

Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
That's odd. Many under 40s that I know don't trust the gov't either.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
That's odd. Many under 40s that I know don't trust the gov't either.
Who do they trust? Apple Corp that exported almost all jobs to China? BP that nearly cost us the planet? Monsanto that owns patents on most seeds? Haliburton? Tyson foods and Conagra with their insta-chickens? Kraft foods and their high fructose laden poison foods? The fracking oil and gas companies that are polluting out water supply and depleting it faster than you can spell water? Oh, I know, they trust the banks and financial corporations. No, the insurance corporations? How about the medical service providers?

Let's face it: the government is not the problem. It is the PEOPLE. You are so bent out of shape foaming at the mouth about the government, you seem to be oblivious to everything that the private sector has done to this country and the people living in it. The government did not decide to put corn syrup in the food supply to maximize profits, it was the food companies. The government is not fracking the crap out of the continent, private entities are. Et cetera, et cetera.

OD

Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
Could somebody please explain the difference between the U.S. Government and huge powerful American corporations please? Us less educated people don't understand the difference.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,273,929 times
Default Farmer's drones

I don't dispute that there is a place for the drones. Here in Louisiana, drones are used by agribusinesses to check rice fields for disease. One of their representatives mentioned that they are careful not to fly the drones across neighboring lands since some of their neighbors use the drones for targic practice. They also notify their neighbors that the drones will be flying.

John Brennan, the new CIA director, seems to have a problem answering questions about their use by the government. Brennan's written response: "This administration has not carried out drone strikes inside the United States and has no intention of doing so." Having 'no intention' does not rule out their use domestically.

Eric Holder sent a letter to Paul today saying that President Obama does not claim "the authority to use a weaponized drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil." So, who defines 'engaged in combat'. The administration? Could we end up with an executive order to kill American citizens without due process?

I, for one, would like to see a requirement for due process. The police can't search private property without a warrent, which requires probable cause. The same should apply to the drones. We already have Presidents who go to war without a declaration of war, are we now to have people declared enemies and killed on American soil by executive order? No one person should have unlimited authority to decide with whom we are at war. What ever happened to being charged with a crime, and being found guilty by a jury of one's peers?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,273,929 times
Default Ooppppsss

That's target, not targic! Brain fart.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Who do they trust? Apple Corp that exported almost all jobs to China? BP that nearly cost us the planet? Monsanto that owns patents on most seeds? Haliburton? Tyson foods and Conagra with their insta-chickens? Kraft foods and their high fructose laden poison foods? The fracking oil and gas companies that are polluting out water supply and depleting it faster than you can spell water? Oh, I know, they trust the banks and financial corporations. No, the insurance corporations? How about the medical service providers?

Let's face it: the government is not the problem. It is the PEOPLE. You are so bent out of shape foaming at the mouth about the government, you seem to be oblivious to everything that the private sector has done to this country and the people living in it. The government did not decide to put corn syrup in the food supply to maximize profits, it was the food companies. The government is not fracking the crap out of the continent, private entities are. Et cetera, et cetera.

OD

Ummm, this is my first post on this thread.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Ummm, this is my first post on this thread.
I meant "you all", not you personally. Sorry.
OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness