Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Exactly. Gardening here is tough, we just had 3 days of snow with more predicted, and it was only 26 degrees this morning. If you want to garden a greenhouse, hotbeds and luck are paramount.

Usually we will get killing frost until the end of May, but we can plant some stuff in Mid-May because of germination of the seeds so no plants are really above ground until after June 1.

We can get a killing heat in July and August that because of our low humidity can suck the moisture right out of the plants almost as fast as you can put water on them.
In my area, normally the killing frosts don't come until the first of October, but that is no guarentee, so we plant with an eye towards very quick growing plants, 90 days or less. I can usually grow pumpkins with a mature date of less than 100 days, but that is pushing it and the pumpkins usually don't get over about 8-10 lbs.
Potatos and underground crops like carrots, turnips, parsnips do fairly well and store really well in the cellar.

We can/dry lots of summer produce to go through the winter and I just started another root cellar for my mother. This one is 8x16 and 6 1/2 feet inside to the ceiling. Storing enough to live on through the winter takes a lot of space.

Northern latitudes and high elevation are not gentle on either domestic or wild plants.
You certainly do have some harsh and challenging conditions. I have been told that greenhouses aren't nearly as useful out your way as they are here.

Root cellars are neat and can serve other purposes too. 8x16 is a good sized one. I can't have a traditional root cellar here because the water table is too high. It helps that I can get both spring and fall crops of root and other vegetables in each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
You certainly do have some harsh and challenging conditions. I have been told that greenhouses aren't nearly as useful out your way as they are here.

Root cellars are neat and can serve other purposes too. 8x16 is a good sized one. I can't have a traditional root cellar here because the water table is too high. It helps that I can get both spring and fall crops of root and other vegetables in each year.
Greenhouses are about the only way to get an earlier start, but you are right, most of them around here are heated to keep them above freezing at night.

I agree, 16x8 is good sized, but we already had the hole there and just have to put up walls, dig an entry, and cover it up.
Always use what you have, if you have a hole in the ground, make a root cellar

The water table at my folks place is about 80 feet down, so no problems with damp there

I will still ventilate it, but I will also wire it for lights and so we can have a milkhouse heater in there in case of deep freeze because our frostline can be up to 6 feet deep, so even root cellars aren't immune to freezing here.

It is a unique set of challenges you face to live here alright.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 AM

910 posts, read 1,338,200 times
Moderator cut: Off topic

Is Vegan meant for everyone, no. There are some who will be best served by not being vegans. I think its a question of what works for you.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Off topic for this forum and thread.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Moderator cut: Off topic

Is Vegan meant for everyone, no. There are some who will be best served by not being vegans. I think its a question of what works for you.
Yup. My wife does very well on veggies and fruits. I fall flat on my face on that diet. I do better on meat and eggs. I tease her all the time, tell her I am a carnivorous predator, and she is an obvious grazer, so we really shouldn't be compatible.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Yup. My wife does very well on veggies and fruits. I fall flat on my face on that diet. I do better on meat and eggs. I tease her all the time, tell her I am a carnivorous predator, and she is an obvious grazer, so we really shouldn't be compatible.
LOL - non-competitive symbiosis, you probably wouldn't get along as well if you were fighting over the last drumstick

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
For people with short growing seasons, have you tried sprouting sprouts? They are power packed with nutrition. Something like only 4 oz of sprouted broccoli seeds has more nutrition than a dozen heads of broccoli or something like that.

About Sprouts and Enzymes

Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
For people with short growing seasons, have you tried sprouting sprouts? They are power packed with nutrition. Something like only 4 oz of sprouted broccoli seeds has more nutrition than a dozen heads of broccoli or something like that.

About Sprouts and Enzymes
Yes, I sprout grains and greens for myself and for my livestock for a boost of "fresh" during the winter.

Since most seeds germinate in the dark, I can sprout even when we are reduced to only 3 hours of daylight without requiring fuel and power for supplemental light. And since seedlings don't require a ton of space or very high temperatures (40F for most), I can grow them indoors when it's -40F outside without encroaching on my living space or requiring additional fuel to heat a separate space.

For omnivores and ovo-lacto vegetarians:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Sprouting.html
http://lifeatmennageriefarm.blogspot...out-grain.html
http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/g...d-fodder/72618
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homes...#axzz2SSNn4OTG

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-05-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
I don't do sprouts, but I grow pumpkin and winter squash that will hold in the root cellar until nearly spring, as will turnips, parsnips, carrots, potatoes and rutabegas. Onions will hold pretty well to, but like potatoes, when spring comes you start to get sprouts.

Canning may not be "fresh", but it keeps the food value of plant material well, the onions and green peppers that I dehydrate taste just fine too. Some stuff like corn, green beans and peas freeze well.
Fruits are more delicate, but tomatoes can really well and berries like gooseberries/raspberries/serviceberry/buffalo berry/chokecherry all make great jams and jellies and freeze well.
Rhubarb is a staple for vitamin c as it grows well here and is not hard to can or freeze.

I am more of a northern type anyway so meat is my staple, I grow my own beef and my family raises pork, chicken and turkeys. I was raising rabbits for meat until a neighbor's rottweiler killed 60 in one night.

Up here, hunting is a way of life, so elk/bear/venison/grouse/pheasant/duck/goose/cottontail are readily available to someone with the skills to collect them, and meat cans/dries/smokes and freezes well too.

Providing a balanced diet and suffcient food for yourself isn't impossible, limiting yourself to one specific food group raises a lot of extra challenges, especially in places like where I live that have short growing seasons.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
... limiting yourself to one specific food group raises a lot of extra challenges...
On a related note, I read an interesting article (I can't seem to find it now) the other day about "orthorexia." I'd never heard the term before, but I've known a few people over the years who definitely have this condition. It was interesting in that it pointed out a fairly common universal mentality/trait for our species (which is taking what is perhaps a viable idea to an inviable extreme) as applied to vegetarian (or any sort of) diet.

It gets to the point that by avoiding what these folks perceive to be "bad foods," they are essentially starving themselves to death, just as they would if they had anorexia. So, in essence, (assuming they are vegetarians, but that's not always the case) they have eliminated even most plant foods from their diet--no grains because of evil gluten; no rice, too many carbs; no potatoes, too much starch; no squash for whatever reason; no beets, bad for the liver; no this, no that... pretty soon they are trying to live off from celery sticks and lettuce alone. And in the process, they are starving themselves to death. They would have been better off and healthier eating big macs every day.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
On a related note, I read an interesting article (I can't seem to find it now) the other day about "orthorexia." I'd never heard the term before, but I've known a few people over the years who definitely have this condition. It was interesting in that it pointed out a fairly common universal mentality/trait for our species (which is taking what is perhaps a viable idea to an inviable extreme) as applied to vegetarian (or any sort of) diet.

It gets to the point that by avoiding what these folks perceive to be "bad foods," they are essentially starving themselves to death, just as they would if they had anorexia. So, in essence, (assuming they are vegetarians, but that's not always the case) they have eliminated even most plant foods from their diet--no grains because of evil gluten; no rice, too many carbs; no potatoes, too much starch; no squash for whatever reason; no beets, bad for the liver; no this, no that... pretty soon they are trying to live off from celery sticks and lettuce alone. And in the process, they are starving themselves to death. They would have been better off and healthier eating big macs every day.
Yes, just like the people who exercise so much that they damage themselves; people become so obsessed with "eating healthy" that they become malnourished and emaciated. Limiting certain foods that are demonstrated to be problematic for you, and particularly limiting the serving sizes, is appropriate and sensible... but eliminating entire groups of food that do not cause you measurable bodily harm is just not healthy (not physically, and not mentally).

You have to be somewhat pragmatic about these things. For instance, I have a couple food allergies/sensitivities. I have eliminated the foods that cause severe reactions... just that food (ex: mangos & eggplant), not the entire food group or related food types (all tropical fruits and vegetables in the nightshade family). And I realize that some of the other foods that I have milder sensitivities to (corn, wheat) have important nutrients that I may or may not be able to obtain in other foods in those amounts... so I simply limit them so they aren't a huge component in my diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness