Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM

238 posts, read 590,108 times

Advertisements

Strange that when the USDA tightened the requirements for mastitis most of the big farmers had no problem meeting the new guidelines.

Many very small producers could not meet the new guidelines.

Kinda disputes the MYTH that it is the tiny farm that produces quality milk.
Some of those tiny farms lost their permit to sell because their milk was such poor quality processors refused it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
The bill is still moving through the legislature with a lot of support.

Montana raw milk bill moving ahead

The usual nay-sayers are out trying to keep the monopoly on food sales in place, but this seems to be a good starting point for real food available to everybody.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The bill is still moving through the legislature with a lot of support.

Montana raw milk bill moving ahead

The usual nay-sayers are out trying to keep the monopoly on food sales in place, but this seems to be a good starting point for real food available to everybody.

I thought mentioning milk in the same sentence as Montana was an oxymoron.
( similar to mentioning palm trees and Montana in same sentence )

Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
I thought mentioning milk in the same sentence as Montana was an oxymoron.
( similar to mentioning palm trees and Montana in same sentence )
Not getting your reference here, there are a lot of commercial dairies in Montana, and a lot of small holders as well.

Maybe not as big of an industry as it is in Wisconsin, but still part of the agricultural community and production from this state.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I know people as 2 different farms with 14 goats each more or less and you want them to drop 50,000 bucks to meet govt regs.

More or less my stance with the govt is get the hell out now........

Don't like that and they get this tid bit.

THE PUBLIC SERVANT QUESTIONNAIRE

ya'll come back now yas hear. after ya's all filled out every last question ok?

This is a Nation of LAW.......

it is my opinion that the public needs to be put back in servant.

SERVANT'S are just that here to help us..... not pull corrupt BS, and be over bearing with taxes, fees and permits.

I have been to Ar too and they have no idea what building code is. I have never seen wiring that bad anywhere, and suspect you would need to go to North Korea to find any surpassing Ar bad...

Walk in a room, flip a light switch On and that light comes on, but in the next room over they all go out.

You call the electrician and he shows up wearing a US Postal uniform Ha Ha Ha, and he don't know what the problem is either....

Together we worked it out with MY mulitmeter. I have never seen such a nightmare in all my days as that mess was.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Not getting your reference here, there are a lot of commercial dairies in Montana, and a lot of small holders as well.

Maybe not as big of an industry as it is in Wisconsin, but still part of the agricultural community and production from this state.

No , not as big an industry as it is in Wisconsin nor as big an industry as 41 other states.

Evidently your use of the phrase ..........." a lot of commercial dairies "..........is biased

Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,934 times
But your equating the milk industry in Montana with the likelihood of Palm trees in Montana was objective? What is your beef() with small holders and raw milk sales? Are you a large producer, or a government employee? Or something else? Some of us like our raw milk. And our liberty. There is no better hot cocoa than that made with fresh cream...

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

So Arkansas Mac, do you actually have a point or are you just trolling for an argument?

I know that there are a lot of folks here who have their own milk cow/goats and make their own butter and cheese, and yes, some sell it under the table now, but if this bill passes they will be able to sell it openly.

Same for eggs, and even meat. Right now lots of folks will go directly to the farmer/rancher/small holder and buy a lamb or pig or butcher steer, that is then delivered to the packing house, processed and goes in the freezer without wal-mart or safeway or pigly wigly ever being involved.

Farmers markets are big here selling produce.

As to illness caused by fresh raw milk, it is addressed in the article:

"The science, according to the CDC, says pasteurization is necessary to kill bacteria such as Listeria, E coli, and Salmonella that can cause serious health problems that range from diarrhea to renal failure and paralysis.
The federal agency also says that from 1998 to 2008 raw milk was responsible for 2,384 illnesses, 284 hospitalizations, and two deaths. They estimate that actual numbers are larger, but incidences may go unreported.
Rosenau says those numbers may look scary but the CDC also reported 277 poultry related deaths in the same time period, while 237 deaths were attributed to vegetables."
(emphasis in red is mine).

So by CDC stats, it is far more dangerous to eat chicken or vegetables than use raw milk.

My opinion is that whatever makes it easier for small holders to make a living and at the same time makes better food available to the general public legally is a good thing.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 AM

----"it is far more dangerous to eat chicken or vegetables than to use raw milk"--
?????????????

How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

Did you overlook the fact that nearly everyone eats chicken and vegetables but few actually consume raw milk?

You would need to have those same number of people that eat vegetables and eat chickens to also consume raw milk in order to draw a conclusion.

Nice try !

Last edited by Arkansas Mac; 04-09-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
----"it is far more dangerous to eat chicken or vegetables than to use raw milk"--
?????????????

How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

Did you overlook the fact that nearly everyone eats chicken and vegetables but few actually consume raw milk?

You would need to have those same number of people that eat vegetables and eat chickens to also consume raw milk in order to draw a conclusion.

Nice try !
Talk to the CDC, their numbers not mine.

As it seems you have nothing to contribute aside from a bad attitude and desire to argue, I am afraid I don't feed trolls, so good by and have a nice life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness