Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

It has been discussed on this board many times, the amount of regulation that prevents small holders to sell eggs or milk or other products to consumers.

The Montana legislature only meets for 90 days every other year, but apparently the folks who live here are having an impact on new law.

Montana House backs raw milk bill in initial vote - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Legislature

This bill would allow people with up to 15 cows or 30 milking sheep and goat farmers with up to 30 milking animals to obtain a permit to sell the raw milk to consumers.

The bill passed the house on a vote of 98-2, pretty good across the board support I think.

A step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
It has been discussed on this board many times, the amount of regulation that prevents small holders to sell eggs or milk or other products to consumers.

The Montana legislature only meets for 90 days every other year, but apparently the folks who live here are having an impact on new law.

Montana House backs raw milk bill in initial vote - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Legislature

This bill would allow people with up to 15 cows or 30 milking sheep and goat farmers with up to 30 milking animals to obtain a permit to sell the raw milk to consumers.

The bill passed the house on a vote of 98-2, pretty good across the board support I think.

A step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
Good for them. Finally a state legislature with some sense.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM

69 posts, read 84,491 times
Montana is looking better and better these days. If only I could bear the winters.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Raw milk is legal to sell directly to consumers here in my state - for human consumption. Adjacent states can sell it as pet food only so out-of-state residents come here to get it.

The American Farm Bureau Federation (a national non-profit group) recently tried to convince state officials to quietly dump the freedom to sell it here. It didn't work. Booyah!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
I don't know what NH has done. Last summer milk cops were out on patrol and hassling a goat farmer over his milk.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't know what NH has done. Last summer milk cops were out on patrol and hassling a goat farmer over his milk.
Was it one of those USDA/FDA SWAT teams brandishing guns at goat farmers and children? I've heard reliable accounts from northeasterners that this happens.

I think raw milk for retail sale (directly to consumer) is legal in only 10 states, AFAIK --- ME, PA, SC, CT, NH, WA, ID, CA, NM and AZ. Now maybe MT also.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Was it one of those USDA/FDA SWAT teams brandishing guns at goat farmers and children? I've heard reliable accounts from northeasterners that this happens.

I think raw milk for retail sale (directly to consumer) is legal in only 10 states, AFAIK --- ME, PA, SC, CT, NH, WA, ID, CA, NM and AZ. Now maybe MT also.
You can sell to customers here in MO, but you cannot advertise or seek out customers, they have to come asking for it. Not usually a problem in my neck of the woods...

Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
You can sell to customers here in MO, but you cannot advertise or seek out customers, they have to come asking for it. Not usually a problem in my neck of the woods...
MO and a few other states allow farm sales only. Retail is defined as both on and off the farm (at stores, farmer's markets, etc.). Those 10 states allow retail sales. I think MT is aiming for retail sales too, but not sure about that.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Well the bill is in senate committee right now, so the final bill could say anything. Currently the section dealing with sales is:

NEW SECTION. Section 2. Direct sales by small herd exemption permittee -- sales prohibited -- labeling. (1) A person operating under a small herd exemption permit may not sell or otherwise provide raw milk or raw milk products produced by the permittee to any person for resale, but may sell those items directly to a consumer, a member or guest of the permittee's family, or the permittee's employer. The restriction provided in this subsection includes restricting the permittee from selling raw milk or raw milk products for resale to a retail food establishment licensed under Title 50, chapter 50, or a wholesale food establishment licensed under Title 50, chapter 57.
(2) (a) All products sold by a permittee directly to the public under this section must be sold on the premises for which the small herd exemption permit is issued and, except as provided in subsection (2)(b), must be labeled pursuant to 81-22-413 and, 81-22-415, AND THIS SUBSECTION (2)(A). THE LABEL MUST READ: "WARNING -- THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS UNPASTEURIZED MILK, ALSO KNOWN AS RAW MILK.".
(b) A person who purchases or otherwise obtains products under this section may have the permittee transfer the products into a container provided by the person obtaining the products, and the permittee is not required to label the container. THE WARNING LABEL ESTABLISHED PURSUANT TO SUBSECTION (2)(A) MUST BE POSTED IN A CONSPICUOUS PLACE ON THE PREMISES FOR WHICH THE SMALL HERD EXEMPTION IS ISSUED.
(3) The sale of raw milk or raw milk products by a small herd exemption permittee are not subject to pricing controls under Title 81, chapter 23.

It looks like this is so a producer can sell directly to the public.

The full text of the bill can be read at http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2013/billhtml/HB0574.htm
This is the current bill, not the final bill.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post

I don't know as i didn't see these cops, I was talking to the farmer who had seen them, and he wasn't happy.

I don't raise domestic animals or milk them but my wife has.

I have paperwork to send anyone like that packing. There are LAWS you know, that can and will tame rogue cops, and assorted busybody officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness