Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
A (total) beginner does not know what a good concealed weapon would be. A lot of variables to consider besides the weapon too - such as, what are you preparing for? Can you place the bullet in the right place? Someone who can and has the training and the nerves can get by with a Derringer. Another person could have a .45LC and miss altogether.

I believe some states like TX make a distinction between CCW for a revolver vs a semi. This means that from the get-go you need to decide what you will carry.

Finally - my advice is to get a book on the firearm laws for your state. Read it and re-read it. It may save you aggravation, arrest and worst case scenario - jail time. Quite a few law enforcement officers get aggressive, nervous and scary when there is a weapon involved (quite a few of them are perfectly fine with them too). Also, a few of them may not know the laws properly. It is paramount that you do.

Or you can move to an open carry state . I wish Tejas was one of them.

OD
That right? if you drive stick shift in Texas you can't drive automatic too?

I used to hear how great it was to be a gun owner in Texas but as i learn more it seems bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
For clarification, I was referring to guns(particularly long guns) which even a person new to firearms and shooting would be able to rule out as CCW appropriate. Countrysue stated that participants were required to bring ANY guns they own to this guy's house for evaluation. I took this to mean ALL guns. Shotguns, rifles, Colt Buntlines, 9-1/2" Ruger Redhawks, etc. No need to bring obviously inappropriate weapons for this guy to evaluate.

Laws governing this activity and your knowledge of them ARE important, and not to be overlooked.
Yeah I took it as ALL the guns she has access too myself.. bad deal if that is true. I never tell anyone about ALL the guns I have access too.

Because of a Stalker here on CD I moved most of my guns someplace else..... I just keep a few SD guns here, some flinters, and several 22's.

There is some one here 24/7 as well, even when my wife and i are away plus the dogs.

I am not the first nor the last person on CD that has a stalker, so you may require more caution if it suits you. My Stalker here also lives in NH and is female a PC female not really worried about it.

I for one would like to see this guys web site he must have one.........

I would like to know he is ligit....

I know real trainers and they work wonders with females sometimes and or newbies. I am no pro but I know some of what they do and can assist people who become curious using my own guns.

Besides little Kate I had Max come here from New Zealand to sponser her MC USA Ride. During the time she was here as her bike was 3 weeks delayed I let her try several of my guns assisting.

They have Draconian gun law in NZ

Real pros will show you how they got to be real pros and will be certified safe by several groups.

I hate crack pot trainers. The type that will hand over a heavy recoil gun and tell you to just shoot it.

I hate when first timers get hit hard and learn to flinch right off fast.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,934 times
OP, does this guy have a website? Inquiring minds want to know....

Mac, if you weren't such a handsome devil and skilled in the ways of the wild, perhaps you might not attract stalkers so easily. I agree with you on those blowhards that do more damage to a new shooter in one class than can be undone in three classes by a competent trainer. Too many of them out there, that is for sure.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
OP, does this guy have a website? Inquiring minds want to know....

Mac, if you weren't such a handsome devil and skilled in the ways of the wild, perhaps you might not attract stalkers so easily. I agree with you on those blowhards that do more damage to a new shooter in one class than can be undone in three classes by a competent trainer. Too many of them out there, that is for sure.
takin' this to a dm.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
Default Clarification

The instructor wanted to inspect the guns we planned to shoot. That has been done and some people were told that their guns were in too bad a condition to be safe! Some had not been properly cared for. He will be bringing a variety of guns that we will be shooting, but no long guns. Long gun training is extra.

He looked over my guns. Some of them are now in my safe deposit box. Turns out my grandfather's guns are now collectables. He carried a revolver and had a stubby hideout gun that he wore on his ankle. Ditto for some of my father's. The instructor has advised me to get a gun safe. I am checking into that now.

Any suggestions on gun safes? By the way, he told me that left handed guns are available. Didn't know that.

Thanks for the advice on handling recoil. I am a little concerned about the noise. We will be wearing hearing protectors at the inside range. My hearing still doesn't need assistance, unlike my eyes. I want to keep that way as long as possible.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Most muffs are fine for protection, but if you are worried, you can double protect by putting in foam plugs, and then the muffs over the top. Usually one or the other is sufficent, but indoors I would definitely go with muffs, and if you are worried, just put in the plugs too.

Many automatic pistols these days are ambidextrous, (safety on both sides), but normally the magazine release is still on the left side of the grip.
So instead of using your thumb to release the magazine, you use your index finger.

A revolver is not hand specific, but the cylinder release is usually on the left side of the frame for double actions, loading gates are normally on the right for single actions.

Rifles are a different story, bolts facing different ways, cant on the stock is different, several differences there depending on if you are right or left eye dominant.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM

I agree double up on hearing gear... use plugs and then muffs, eye gear too. Guns with defective ammo can do some strange things. Don't use reloads from any unknown source ever.

I was born lefty, but can shoot with either hand. I find it odd myself. I prefer to shoot long guns lefty and hand guns righty, but in the end it doesn't really matter to me.

My left eye is the dominate eye. That does matter.

I feared i lost you in the length sorry about that. I also had the idea you would find some of these older guns collectables.

Not right away, but later when you have a good grasp of the situation you will want to train even if you do it alone or with friends off hand shooting for in the event you are attacked, hurt by that and still have use of the off hand anyway.

At the primitive events we have we do that there too, plus more.

Shooting at primitive events is more like the village shooting you made mention of. We don't just stand in lines at benches and shoot paper targets.....

That does happen, but we also have Seneca Runs and woods walks. Besides shooting you get tested in many other wood lands skills like hawk and knife, trapping, fire making with no liquid fuel lighters or matches, and no moon metal devices either.

We were just worried the instructor was a greedy quack self appointed hero. I am happy he told you what you had and didn't try to pester it from under you cheaper than dirt.

What gun by make and model are you going to start with?

Also if you are light boned, there are shock absorbing gloves that help grip a weapon and support your wrists.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
Default Guns of choice

I chose the a stubby Taurus and the Lady Smith & Wesson, both are revolvers. I will shoot one of his semiautomatics just to try one. This first course is just to see if we are serious about shooting. There is an additional course he teaches for those who are serious. He said we should plan on 20 hours of shooting before we could consider ourselves competent. After that, we would need to visit the gun range at least once a month.

He is teaching still shooting. The targets will sit there and let us fire at them. He said learning to shoot something moving is a whole nother thing.

I have a friend who will be taking the course with me. She thought she couldn't shoot a gun because she was 4'11". We looked up Annie Oakley and found she stood 5' in heels.

Recommended reading:

'Extreme Fear' Jeff Wise

'Stress Fire' Massad Ayoubb

'More Guns, Less Crime' John Lott

I have my cleaning kit and am ready to go!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Do not allow the sale of any of your guns to this guy....... Not on a casual basis.... Not even if a offer sounds too good to believe.

Say these are heirlooms and you may consider the offer, and let it go at that.

My motivation is i just don't want you to be cheated.

You could have some very valuable items.....

Some of these could be very collectible and worth a lot more than you may suspect.

In fact i would start off only bring in any guns you may consider as useful to the course at first.

If you like i am sure there are guys here with smarts enough to assist you in what you have.

It is safe to make a list of company names and modles but with no serial numbers showing not in text unless requested by someone you trust in a dm

Or texting a rough serial number like 1234xxx and not the entire number for your own security.

IE say for a older shot gun

Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge ser number 543xxx is safe.

A picture of it with no detail showing the serial number is safe.

Detasils as to high figure or metal work are safe

We straight?

I agree with Mac, if this guy offers to buy any firearms from you for any reason, dont sell them. I have had people try and tell me the firearm is broken or something else. strikes them strange when I tell them what the firearm is worth and they all of a sudden dont want to buy it.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I agree with Mac, if this guy offers to buy any firearms from you for any reason, dont sell them. I have had people try and tell me the firearm is broken or something else. strikes them strange when I tell them what the firearm is worth and they all of a sudden dont want to buy it.
She has stated the trainer has instructed her that some of the guns she holds are of collector value, and to buy a safe.

That makes me feel a lot better about the trainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness