Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Can we at least have a fact based discussion or will keep hearing denials from the uninformed?
I guess we can't since you will not answer anyone and actually discuss anything, but instead are just trolling. It doesn't really matter either if they miss or not, since they are small flares.

So we know you love strawmen, how about normal men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
The only defense I see being mounted(over and over) is your defense of your opinion that nothing bad will ever happen as a result of solar activity.
Except that isn't even my position as stated multiple times. I said there will not be a "End of the world as we know it" type event caused by solar flares and instead the worst of the worst will be temporary disruption of satallite communications and some very localized over loads of electrical equipment. If you're going to try to tell people what their position is you should at least try to get it right.

Instead, we've had you spewing a bunch of nonsense and making false claims about other people's positions. Oh, and, no, calling posters out when their previous positions have proven wrong (multiple times might I add) is not narcissistic or masochistic or any other psychological term which you obviously don't know the definitions of. It's called an interest in accuracy and correcting the record along with a small bit of smugness in the form of "I told you so".

Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I guess we can't since you will not answer anyone and actually discuss anything, but instead are just trolling. It doesn't really matter either if they miss or not, since they are small flares.

So we know you love strawmen, how about normal men?
Except, you know, the fact that they're not small flares and if they were truly small flares, as you claim, then they'd be one of the half dozen lower classes of solar flares instead of the largest possible class. Huh?

Anything to keep the dream alive and avoid admitting it was all a fool's errand. Oh, well, at least you guys have stopped trying to claim they weren't pointed at the Earth or that they missed the Earth so I guess we're making a small amount of progress towards getting some of you to acknowledge reality.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
If there is no way to avoid anhhilation, then the only alternative is to load the arks, and begin immediate evacuation of planet Earth.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
... you're just not going to knock out all the electrical systems on the plant. THAT is the fantasy here and it's sad to see so many people desperately attempting to defend their fantasy.
This really is an amusing thread. You've successfully put words in others' mouths and then argued a counterpoint to your injected words. You are, in essence, arguing with yourself, because I still haven't seen anyone here who has stated that society is going to crumble and the world is going to end because of a solar flare.

Of course... YOU said we said that. And then YOU argued against what YOU said we said.

I can just hear the dialog in your home now (let's just assume--or we can pretend and just insist--that you are married)......

VAPOR TRAILS (c) 2013 Chris C

FADE IN:

INT. THINK4YOURSELF'S LIVING ROOM - LATE NIGHT

THINK4YOURSELF and his WIFE sit silently watching TV. Suddenly, out of the blue, Think4Yourself turns to his wife with a beet-red face.

Think4Yourself: Honey, you're not going to sit there and tell me that Pawn Stars isn't scripted.
Wife: What?
Think4Yourself: No... I won't let you get away with it when you tell me Pawn Stars isn't scripted.
Wife: Uh... I didn't say anything, dear.
Think4Yourself: Well they are scripted. But you just keep arguing with me.
Wife: I'm NOT arguing. I didn't say they weren't scripted!
Think4Yourself: Well they are! It's sad to see so many people desperately attempting to defend their fantasy.
Wife: What??? I'm not defending anything! I never said anything about it, for crying out loud! And what people are you talking about? You're confused.
Think4Yourself: Yes, someone here is confused all right but it's doesn't seem to be me. I guess Rene Descartes was right: You cannot reason people out of a position they did not reason themselves into to begin with. You're living in a fantasy world.
Wife: What in the HELL are you talking about? I never said Pawn Stars isn't scripted. I'm not defending anything. I have no fantasy. I'm not arguing!!!
Think4Yourself: Yes you are. Listen to you.
Wife: Yeah... Einstein... I'm arguing with you about the fact that I'm not arguing.
Think4Yourself: Well, they are scripted. And don't you try to tell me otherwise. All one has to do is look at the pertinent data. This seems to just be an article of faith for some people, facts be damned, which they use to justify their desperate desire to escape their current sad, pathetic lives and dream about finally becoming someone.
Wife (throwing potted plant at Think4Yourself's head): Well I can damn sure tell you that YOU'VE become someone tonight! You've become the husband who is sleeping on the couch. GOODNIGHT. Enjoy watching your SCRIPTED Pawn Stars. And you should have prepared by bringing a blanket out here. It's gonna get cold. Too bad.

FADE TO BLACK.

Screenwriter's Note: proper screenplay formatting has been abbreviated in the interests of conserving space. Should any of you wish to read the full-length script of Vapor Trails... send a SASE to Think4Yourself.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Except that isn't even my position as stated multiple times. I said there will not be a "End of the world as we know it" type event caused by solar flares and instead the worst of the worst will be temporary disruption of satallite communications and some very localized over loads of electrical equipment.
You presumably have crystal ball and know what the future holds?

------edit--------

Just to add with this statement you've proven you're the extreme opposite of a chicken little becsue you know nothing is going to happen, you're stating it as fact. You're just as bad as the people you're criticizing. LOL

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-19-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Except, you know, the fact that they're not small flares and if they were truly small flares, as you claim, then they'd be one of the half dozen lower classes of solar flares instead of the largest possible class. Huh?
The X class has no limits apparently, these that are occurring now are in the low range at 3 to 4. Each point is 1* so a X2 is twice as powerful as X1. Going back to the 1989 storm that caused a lot of issue it was an X15 or about 1100% more powerful than these flares.

The concern of course is an even larger one than that event.

For one who claims facts based on science you're very ignorant to them. The top physicists in the world will tell you that a very large storm is going to cause major problems with the electrical grid and anything electronic. That's just a fact, the only thing in question is if or when such a storm will ever occur.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
What the heck is a "solar flare chicken little"?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
What the heck is a "solar flare chicken little"?
They go real good with buttered grits, I hear.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
Radar images show that the Mother ship has now placed itself in orbit around the planet. The President went on worldwide tv tonight condemning ex-president Bush for his lack of a pre-emptive strike against the Gorn race. The Gorn have shown repeatedly that their only goal is domination, and there is evidence they harbor weapons of mass destruction, as well. There is no reasoning with these aliens. Our last hope is that the Venerians received our distress signal, and will be here soon to help us repel the invasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness