Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,533 times

Advertisements

In the last 24 hours we've had three different "X-Class" solar flares which are the most powerful type of solar flares and yet their impact seems to be extremely minimal. In the face of these facts and realities will the chicken littles who claimed it would destroy modern society admit they were wrong or will we see the usual equivocating? Inquiring minds want to know.

BBC News - Sun unleashes 'X-Class' solar flare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,080 times
Well that might explain why my cell phone hasn't had a decent data signal in the last few days...

I can see where my inability to access FaceBook on the go could indeed equate to societal collapse.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,818 times
Well, since they were on the side of the sun facing AWAY from earth, I guess we'll have to wait until one comes this way to know for sure...

Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Someone should study history. The 1859 solar storm caused massive problems with telegraphs. We'd have the same thing hitting our telephones, electric grid, internet, etc., in a comparable event facing us.

Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Well, since they were on the side of the sun facing AWAY from earth, I guess we'll have to wait until one comes this way to know for sure...
Not all three of them plus we've been directly hit by some. The BBC report says as much.

The chicken littles have just been wrong, admit it.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Someone should study history. The 1859 solar storm caused massive problems with telegraphs. We'd have the same thing hitting our telephones, electric grid, internet, etc., in a comparable event facing us.

Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm already well aware that as it has been mentioned dozens of times here so please keep up. The claim made though is that it can cause human civilization to collapse which is just a fantasy. The reality is modern electrical systems are fairly robust and there is only minor effects with any more serious effects being EXTREMELY localized and short term.

The main reason I started this thread is because I have seen some rather pathetic individuals practically hoping, wishing, and praying for the end of the world so they can live out their mad max fantasies but and solar flare seemed to be the one thing they were pinning all their hopes on. Sorry, but it's not going to happen. Sure, we'll continue to get solar flares just as always but even the worst are just not that bad and certainly not the Armageddon some folks seem to be hoping for. So, yes, this is a call out thread and while I won't name names (to avoid running foul of the terms of use) the folks in question know who they are.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM

25,710 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Solar flare? Hmmm. No, doesn't ring a bell...

I've been in hermit mode most of the past weeks. Sure is nice NOT hearing the crap that passes for news, at least for a few days. Kim may have worn some new heels to the chic bev-hills nightclub for all I know. Or possibly (and this would be second-page or Op-Ed news for sure), the east coast could have been nuked and I wouldn't know a thing about it.

Cell phone has been off for days--actually I'd LOVE to see something permanently (as in forever) eliminate all cell/smart phones. If there is a satan, he/she/it surely had something to do with inventing the cell phone.

Editors note: By the way, OP, is being a "chicken little" any worse than having a severe case of normalcy bias? Just wondering.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM

No, I do not have any normalcy bias but I would like to hear from the chickenlittles that their fear of solar flares destroying civilization are unfounded and not based upon objective facts and reality. That would be nice.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The main reason I started this thread is because I have seen some rather pathetic individuals practically hoping, wishing, and praying for the end of the world so they can live out their mad max fantasies.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
No, I do not have any normalcy bias but I would like to hear from the chickenlittles that their fear of solar flares destroying civilization are unfounded and not based upon objective facts and reality. That would be nice.
I hope you're not holding your breath waiting for anyone to recant and say "Gee I was sure wrong about that". Rational and objective people have no problem about admitting to errors they have made, but people who have deep-seated emotional reasons for believing what they believe are not going to abandon their beliefs on the basis of mere factual evidence. You recognized as much in the first of the two quotes above.

Some people believe what they want to believe in the face of the most overwhelming evidence. I read a book, Dance on the Volcano, by Renata Zerner who was a teenage girl in Nazi Germany. By the last few months of the war (before that, actually) it was totally obvious that Germany was losing, despite the official Nazi propaganda to the contrary. The steady drum of the ever intensifying bombing raids alone gave evidence of that, but no, the die-hard Nazi civiians continued to believe in a "miracle weapon" up to the very day, and even afterwards!, that American soldiers occupied the town where Ms. Zerner, age 17 at the time, was.

Ms. Zerner is now 86 and I know her personally, which is one reason I give credibility to her accounts of the people around her at the time.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,818 times
Which is more pathetic? Someone who believes that society will end with a bang and they will be the new apex predator in a post-collapse world, or someone who waits(not very patiently) for that person to realize that such an event is unlikely and come round with hat in hand to tell the waiting narcissist that he was right, there is nothing to worry about? How important does one have to feel they are, to think that they matter enough that someone should come and tell them, "You were right all along, thanks for pointing out the error of my thinking"? Or, more worrisome, how petty are they to demand that all the "chickenlittles" come and admit that they were wrong since their pet disaster hasn't happened YET? Sure, it may never. And Yellowstone may never wipe out America as we know it. And the dollar may never collapse, and some superbug may never ravage the planet, and we may never have a nuclear shootout with China. None of this has happened yet, and may never. But it is a bit premature to say that none of it will ever happen, since we just ain't been to the end of the future yet. So don't be waiting with bated breath for the apologies and accolades, go watch some Idol and let the bunker rats keep digging in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness