Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I don't understand how taxes can be nearly the amount of purchase price.
My land is forested, in a 'treegrowth' tax status that encourages landowners to grow forest. So it has very low taxes. Since it takes many decades to grow timber, if you taxed forest land the same as you did residential land, nobody could afford to own forest land. Over 90% of this state is privately owned forest.

Forested land sells for cheap and is taxed low. My land is riverfrontage. About a third of my parcel is down in the floodplain of the river, there is a creek flowing across it and some of it is swamp. We also have environmental laws prohibiting anyone from building within 250 foot of the river. Though from the river bank you go 500 foot before you get up out of the floodplain to solid dry ground.

I took 1 acre out of treegrowth status, so I would have area to build a driveway and house. This 1 acre is on the opposite side of the parcel away from the river.

In the area there are a few homes that were built on the edge of the river before the environmental laws were written. Some of those are McMansions and have a pier, boat launch, beach, etc.

The state tax assessor does not care where on my parcel the 1 acre of non-treegrowth is located. To their office my land is a simple square box drawn on paper. One side is river, so the entire parcel is riverfrontage.

They want to tax that 1 acre f bare land, as if it were for a vacation home on the river.

Quote:
... Is this because the things built on the acreage afterwards? For instance I can see someone buying 30k of raw land... then developing it... but even then, 20k or 30k in taxes? I have a small mountain lot and a large one, neither are more than 100 bucks a year in taxes... granted its 100% off grid and unknown to the tax people and USPS and I'm the first owner after being in one family for generations.

Where is this? Mines in the boondocks hours from any known city.
What is built on land is assessed separately from the land assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My land is forested, in a 'treegrowth' tax status that encourages landowners to grow forest. So it has very low taxes. Since it takes many decades to grow timber, if you taxed forest land the same as you did residential land, nobody could afford to own forest land. Over 90% of this state is privately owned forest.

Forested land sells for cheap and is taxed low. My land is riverfrontage. About a third of my parcel is down in the floodplain of the river, there is a creek flowing across it and some of it is swamp. We also have environmental laws prohibiting anyone from building within 250 foot of the river. Though from the river bank you go 500 foot before you get up out of the floodplain to solid dry ground.

I took 1 acre out of treegrowth status, so I would have area to build a driveway and house. This 1 acre is on the opposite side of the parcel away from the river.

In the area there are a few homes that were built on the edge of the river before the environmental laws were written. Some of those are McMansions and have a pier, boat launch, beach, etc.

The state tax assessor does not care where on my parcel the 1 acre of non-treegrowth is located. To their office my land is a simple square box drawn on paper. One side is river, so the entire parcel is riverfrontage.

They want to tax that 1 acre f bare land, as if it were for a vacation home on the river.

What is built on land is assessed separately from the land assessment.
That's a lot of money. This is in Maine or Ohio? I'm only guessing from memory. Does the tax amount have anything to do with the value of an acre of timber? The fact that it's in a tree-growth area to compensate for developing it. I'm sure the river is worth it though. What's the name of this river? I want to google image it.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
That's a lot of money. This is in Maine or Ohio? I'm only guessing from memory. Does the tax amount have anything to do with the value of an acre of timber? The fact that it's in a tree-growth area to compensate for developing it. I'm sure the river is worth it though. What's the name of this river? I want to google image it.
I am in Maine. Over 90% of this state is forested

My homestead is along the Penobscot River.

Behind our house

A bit further

Then at the river looking left

looking straight

looking right

Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 PM

Those are pretty, I like the islands.

Mountain Men comes on again already Sunday night the History Channel. I think they're showing the Maine guy this time.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Those are pretty, I like the islands.

Mountain Men comes on again already Sunday night the History Channel. I think they're showing the Maine guy this time.
If 'mountain men' are made available to watch online, then maybe one day, folks in Maine will be able to see this show.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
If 'mountain men' are made available to watch online, then maybe one day, folks in Maine will be able to see this show.

I did a quick search and found show on HULU, so it is available on-line.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:

If u can stream videos with ur internet u can watch it:

Mountain Men - Episodes, Video & Schedule - History.com

Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Cool, thank you.

Previously when people have talked about these kinds of shows, it has been where they only became available online after a long delay.

I just assumed that if it was a current show, it would not be available now.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Good to know it's available online. I'll have to check it out during "magic hour" (the period where I have unlimited satellite bandwidth for streaming).

Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM

The episode last night, I won't tell everything but it was funny seeing that helper with Eustace while he's trying to keep his property. And I liked the part where the Maine's friend did a dramatic yell when he was building the root cellar. Then right at that point the show went to a commercial break as if something dramatic happened. And the Alaskan drove over ice worrying that if his snowmobile's engine shuts off in the middle he could fall in. Then the old hunting guy missed his buck and the mountain lion guy missed the wolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness