Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times

Advertisements

Choosing "not to know" is a choice itself. If people look into a mirror and see their obesity, they know. They choose not to do anything about it. The world's poor would gladly choose any food processed or not. They have little or no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Choosing "not to know" is a choice itself. If people look into a mirror and see their obesity, they know. They choose not to do anything about it. The world's poor would gladly choose any food processed or not. They have little or no choice.
What choices do we have? Not everyone can grow their own food and process it themselves. Buying organic is also no guarantee it wasn't sprayed and the food is more expensive. I mean how many of us can afford $15 lb for a steak or stew meat? Or $2.50 lb for chicken? $6 for a box of cereal? Many people know how bad the situation is but since we all have to eat and can't do anything about it... we have to buy what's available.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
These are not foods but food additives and yes, these and many others are banned in most developed countries, plus those countries also have this silly thing called "truth in labeling" that we can't seem to pass...... that tells consumers when certain additives or GMO are added to food.
At least then a person can make an educated decision whether or not to buy an item.

You took the letters right off my keyboard. Let people make an informed decision for themselves, and forget the "banning."

Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
What choices do we have? Not everyone can grow their own food and process it themselves. Buying organic is also no guarantee it wasn't sprayed and the food is more expensive. I mean how many of us can afford $15 lb for a steak or stew meat? Or $2.50 lb for chicken? $6 for a box of cereal? Many people know how bad the situation is but since we all have to eat and can't do anything about it... we have to buy what's available.
There are ways to get good food, as an example, we raise Scottish Highlander cattle. They are grass finished, never fed in a feedlot so no antibiotic feed or hormones, they have a high disease resistance so we don't give them a lot of the shots that are routine these days.
In short, they are as close to a wild animal for the quality of meat as you can find.

We sell meat by the 1/2 carcass and just processed some that we sold at $3.00 a pound that had been cut, wrapped and frozen, ready to go.
It is processed in an inspected facility to avoid any problems with contamination, and the folks that buy it are getting the cuts they want.

The carcass we just sold went for $450/half, but the customers got a little better deal because the weight actually came out to 160 lbs instead of the 150 lbs we had charged for.

$3.00 a lb is hamburger price, and the customer gets prime rib, t-bones, filets, roasts, everything they want.
Most of our customers are people with either high cholesterol and need low cholesterol/low fat meat, (Scotties are very low in saturated fats and cholesterol), or folks with cancer or other medical issues that can't have any additives in their food.

Works great for us and the customers to have high quality beef with no additives or preservatives.

Anybody can do the same thing, just find a rancher near you and buy direct. Much cheaper and a lot better product.

Same thing can be done for fruits and vegetables or grains as well, just drive outside city limits and talk to the people that actually produce the food.
Most of the additives and preservatives are added after the producer sells his product.

Just a thought.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
These are not foods but food additives and yes, these and many others are banned in most developed countries, plus those countries also have this silly thing called "truth in labeling" that we can't seem to pass...... that tells consumers when certain additives or GMO are added to food.
At least then a person can make an educated decision whether or not to buy an item.
Yes and other countries banned irradiation of food but out of 300 or so tests showing that it was NOT safe our highly esteemed and trusted FDA decided to use the 4 tests that said it was safe. This was back in the 1980s.

It has been going on for a LONG LONG TIME. We have been sold a bill of goods and too many people chose to trust our government when they shouldn't have.

Now the latest "preservative" that has been giving the go-ahead by the FDA is the main poisonous ingredient in Round-up:glysophate. Furthermore it has been approved to be used in concentrations 100s of times higher than needed to cause cancer. Too bad you won't know if it is in the tomato sauce or whatever canned or packaged food you buy because as you point out, except for Connecticut and Maine which were successful in mandating labeling in their states, the only way the rest of us can avoid it for sure is to buy strictly ORGANIC. Or, stir your stumps like I'm going to and get a copy of the legislation those states used and propose to your state rep that they sponsor legislation in your state.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
There are ways to get good food, as an example, we raise Scottish Highlander cattle. They are grass finished, never fed in a feedlot so no antibiotic feed or hormones, they have a high disease resistance so we don't give them a lot of the shots that are routine these days.
In short, they are as close to a wild animal for the quality of meat as you can find.

We sell meat by the 1/2 carcass and just processed some that we sold at $3.00 a pound that had been cut, wrapped and frozen, ready to go.
It is processed in an inspected facility to avoid any problems with contamination, and the folks that buy it are getting the cuts they want.

The carcass we just sold went for $450/half, but the customers got a little better deal because the weight actually came out to 160 lbs instead of the 150 lbs we had charged for.

$3.00 a lb is hamburger price, and the customer gets prime rib, t-bones, filets, roasts, everything they want.
Most of our customers are people with either high cholesterol and need low cholesterol/low fat meat, (Scotties are very low in saturated fats and cholesterol), or folks with cancer or other medical issues that can't have any additives in their food.

Works great for us and the customers to have high quality beef with no additives or preservatives.

Anybody can do the same thing, just find a rancher near you and buy direct. Much cheaper and a lot better product.

Same thing can be done for fruits and vegetables or grains as well, just drive outside city limits and talk to the people that actually produce the food.
Most of the additives and preservatives are added after the producer sells his product.

Just a thought.
Yeh, that's all well and good for you but how many of us live near a ranch? And then you're assuming that we live in a city and we just have to get outside of the city.

You can live in a rural area and go to the farmstands and still the food is grown with chemicals and sprayed with pesticides. A ranch? I think I would have to travel a few thousand miles to get to a ranch--have never even seen a ranch. We have the option of growing vegetables organically (which I do, in a small yard) or buying expensive organic items. Not many options on the meat so we buy natural hotdogs and bacon without the nitrates in the grocery store. The meats with all the junk in them are disgusting, we do not buy them, and the natural meats are too expensive--so we don't eat much meat. If you want to eat well on a budget you need to move to another country, it seems.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, that's all well and good for you but how many of us live near a ranch? And then you're assuming that we live in a city and we just have to get outside of the city.

You can live in a rural area and go to the farmstands and still the food is grown with chemicals and sprayed with pesticides. A ranch? I think I would have to travel a few thousand miles to get to a ranch--have never even seen a ranch. We have the option of growing vegetables organically (which I do, in a small yard) or buying expensive organic items. Not many options on the meat so we buy natural hotdogs and bacon without the nitrates in the grocery store. The meats with all the junk in them are disgusting, we do not buy them, and the natural meats are too expensive--so we don't eat much meat. If you want to eat well on a budget you need to move to another country, it seems.
Not necessarily, I know New England has a lot of dairy farms, you can purchase single cows there for instance, Heck, there are folks in New York state that raise and sell buffalo.

New York Buffalo Ranches | EatBisonMeat.com

There are a lot of small organic operations all over the country, you just have to look for them.

Most additives to foods serve one of 2 purposes, 1) prevent decompositon, and 2) enhance flavor.

Pesticides are used to prevent losses to bugs which can completely destroy a crop, herbicides for weeds, then you have nitrates and other chemicals added for fertilizer,

Unless you raise it yourself or collect it in the deep woods, you probably won't get completely pure 100% all additive free food.

You can get better food with fewer chemicals, but usually you will have to go outside city limits or pay premium prices for the stuff transported to urban centers.

In city limits, some places allow you to raise chickens or rabbits for meat or eggs as well as your garden depending on how much room you have.
It may not completely supply your needs, but can certainly help.

Yes I do live rural, I do have my own cattle and hogs and chickens and turkeys, yes I can raise pretty good gardens, I hunt and fish and collect wild edibles, so my intake of MSG is pretty low.
I understand I have resources others don't, but that doesn't mean you can't make the most of whatever resources you do have.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You took the letters right off my keyboard. Let people make an informed decision for themselves, and forget the "banning."
What goes into your food should be regulated, simply because the food chain is very complicated these days and you have no idea that things happen when you would never expect them to happen.

Did you know they use industrial lye when preparing canned tomatoes? I didn't, until recently. Nobody is required to describe the "process", let alone the ingredients. Even if they described the process, frequently you would not be able to tell whether it is healthy, unhealthy etc. That's why you have supposedly impartial (yeah, right) tax-funded agencies that monitor and regulate the field.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Not necessarily, I know New England has a lot of dairy farms, you can purchase single cows there for instance, Heck, there are folks in New York state that raise and sell buffalo.

New York Buffalo Ranches | EatBisonMeat.com

There are a lot of small organic operations all over the country, you just have to look for them.

Most additives to foods serve one of 2 purposes, 1) prevent decompositon, and 2) enhance flavor.

Pesticides are used to prevent losses to bugs which can completely destroy a crop, herbicides for weeds, then you have nitrates and other chemicals added for fertilizer,

Unless you raise it yourself or collect it in the deep woods, you probably won't get completely pure 100% all additive free food.

You can get better food with fewer chemicals, but usually you will have to go outside city limits or pay premium prices for the stuff transported to urban centers.

In city limits, some places allow you to raise chickens or rabbits for meat or eggs as well as your garden depending on how much room you have.
It may not completely supply your needs, but can certainly help.

Yes I do live rural, I do have my own cattle and hogs and chickens and turkeys, yes I can raise pretty good gardens, I hunt and fish and collect wild edibles, so my intake of MSG is pretty low.
I understand I have resources others don't, but that doesn't mean you can't make the most of whatever resources you do have.
Here in Texas most "grass fed beef" is more expensive than the garbage they sell in the grocery store. In addition, "grass fed" doesn't mean squat, most "grass fed" beef is still finished in the last 6-8 weeks with grain to "put on some marble". Even bison. I purchase bison from a 36,000 acre ranch in South Dakota and they guarantee it never sees grain, it is butchered in the field etc. However, it is NOT cheap, quite the contrary, it is much more expensive than the junk you will buy in the store. I eat meat only once a week so for me one shipment lasts a long time but if you tried feeding a family of four, I don't know...

Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Many smaller organic/pastured operations either sell live animals for private butcher, or supply licensed butchers with animals for retail. You might have to hunt for them, but buying naturally-raised "locker cuts" -- i.e. a whole, half, or quarter animal -- from one of these butchers often costs the same as commercial meat at a grocery store (and less than commercial "organic" meat). All you need is a big enough freezer, or some other way to preserve that much meat.

I've been able to find natural locker-cut butchers in PA, MD, VA, SC, NC, LA, TX, CO, CA, OR, WA and AK... so I can't imagine that there is a state that doesn't have at least one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness