Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Actually, if you look at it, this is a perfect thread to exemplify why people prep and worry about the state of the country.

Someone so shallow that all they worry about is if they have 6 pack abs and have to get up in the morning, perfect example of why people worry about the state of the union if this is what is coming out of our "institutions of higher learning".

That someone is worried about something so superficial clearly deliniates why the country is in the state it is in.
Not worried about their job or family, not worried about the economy or numbers of jobless, not worried about wars or threats from abroad, not worried about the state of our industrial capabilities or the changes to our heathcare system...

Instead they are worried about finding a good personal trainer because their self esteem is so low that they think their only value to society is how good they look in shorts

Time to step up my efforts again, we are in SERIOUS trouble if this person represents more than just a small minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

if this person represents more than just a small minority.
Probably so...

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Congratulations on finishing your degree.

From the tone of your OP, I assume that you have no apprehension of finding a job. The focus on needing a personal trainer implies that you are assuming that you will be fairly wealthy soon. I certainly hope that it works out well for you.

Where I sit [as a retired engineer] I see people around me who are in a wide assortment of paths.
1- Fellow engineers who can not find employment in their chosen field.
2- Cubicle workers who owe more on their homes than their homes are worth, who are also on notice for being out-sourced soon.
3- Grad students who could not find employment, so they went back to school on grants and loans pursuing advanced degrees, in the hope that by the time they get their advanced degrees then employment will be available.
4- A lot of people who are part-time employed, under-employed, or seasonally employed, slipping through the cracks of medicare.
5- subsistence farmers.

You and I have much in common. We see the world through rose-glasses. You are finishing college and fully expect a shot at the apple. I am on a pension and subsistence farming on the side, most of the problems that are effecting people today, simply do not effect me. My bills are paid, my needs are low, and I have surplus veggies, honey and pork. The world is my oyster [for as much as that can be said for any guy who earns the equivalent of minimum-wage]

Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Actually, if you look at it, this is a perfect thread to exemplify why people prep and worry about the state of the country.

Someone so shallow that all they worry about is if they have 6 pack abs and have to get up in the morning, perfect example of why people worry about the state of the union if this is what is coming out of our "institutions of higher learning".

That someone is worried about something so superficial clearly deliniates why the country is in the state it is in.
Not worried about their job or family, not worried about the economy or numbers of jobless, not worried about wars or threats from abroad, not worried about the state of our industrial capabilities or the changes to our heathcare system...

Instead they are worried about finding a good personal trainer because their self esteem is so low that they think their only value to society is how good they look in shorts

Time to step up my efforts again, we are in SERIOUS trouble if this person represents more than just a small minority.
First of all, my college educated me well and made me good at certain skills for my job. If more colleges were like mine, then we would have more brilliant people adding to the work field. Forgive for being human and having problems! And I believe one must take care of themselves before they can help others.

You can go back to our k-12 education system for having crap school counselors and teachers who are there only for the money that create many of the problems people like me have. When our parents fail, it's up to the education system to implement those basic skills because when it comes to college society feels they have been relieved of that girl who was raped and of that kid who has depression.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Congratulations on finishing your degree.

From the tone of your OP, I assume that you have no apprehension of finding a job. The focus on needing a personal trainer implies that you are assuming that you will be fairly wealthy soon. I certainly hope that it works out well for you.

Where I sit [as a retired engineer] I see people around me who are in a wide assortment of paths.
1- Fellow engineers who can not find employment in their chosen field.
2- Cubicle workers who owe more on their homes than their homes are worth, who are also on notice for being out-sourced soon.
3- Grad students who could not find employment, so they went back to school on grants and loans pursuing advanced degrees, in the hope that by the time they get their advanced degrees then employment will be available.
4- A lot of people who are part-time employed, under-employed, or seasonally employed, slipping through the cracks of medicare.
5- subsistence farmers.

You and I have much in common. We see the world through rose-glasses. You are finishing college and fully expect a shot at the apple. I am on a pension and subsistence farming on the side, most of the problems that are effecting people today, simply do not effect me. My bills are paid, my needs are low, and I have surplus veggies, honey and pork. The world is my oyster [for as much as that can be said for any guy who earns the equivalent of minimum-wage]
Oh I got a job after I graduated. That wasn't hard. I chose good internships, had a good resume, and my college got it right to prepare their students after college. That's probably why 45,000 applicants apply every year. Sure, I did not get into the field I wanted to get in like child protection services or drug and alcohol counseling, but I am still doing something I enjoy. And yes, I am not making as much money as I'd like starting off, but it's still enough where I have money to get a gym membership or so. I have that blessing because I had no student loans and was thrifty during college. Never buying new clothes and only getting things I absolutely needed.

It's a new day and age and government jobs are almost extinct where as more people are being thrown into science and business jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness