Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,684,613 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch the first episode?

I did and enjoyed it. I have to say that the castle itself, albeit not complete, is pretty cool. The family is obviously not ready for doomsday (yet) but I think it will be fun to watch them prepare for it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,635,939 times
I watched the first two episodes. It seemed very scripted, and given how clean they are staying, their fresh make up on a daily basis, and their very clean clothing I'm thinking they live off site, or that bunker is better outfitted then they showed. The one older boy seems to have daddy issues IMO.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,329 posts, read 8,676,880 times
I wouldn't mind be locked up in the castle with the blond....

Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM

26,124 posts, read 19,072,960 times
Oh boy. Not another one.

I have no problem with this kind of show or story line as entertainment. As long as everyone understands that's what it is. But it's completely unrealistic and not at all representative of what most people who believe in preparedness do or aspire to do. We get these fanciful stories from Hollywood types and people see it as a gauge to reality. But it's not. Taken in that context, it's bad advertisement or even slander. It's the imagination of some screenwriter or novelist. And that is FINE, as long as we know we are viewing the modern attempts at entertainment in this genre--it's no more realistic than Treasure Island, The Castle of Otranto, or Stoker's Dracula, for that matter.

For those who really have some sort of fantasy that this sort of thing is reality, read Edgar Allan Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death." It's "castle fiction," but far more entertaining and thought-provoking.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 AM

13,148 posts, read 21,133,046 times
From an entertainment perspective, the show entertains with conflict and eye candy. From a prepping perspective, the entire concept is laughable and stupid!

A Castle is the most unnatural presence in that area. If you want to remain safe, you remain invisible. That is a bright neon sign saying Here I Am. The castle’s highest point often is above the surrounding tree tops.

It's also just a lousy 100 feet from a public road. That’s right the filming is done in a way that it doesn’t show how close to the public road the castle is actually located. No wonder they are upset that it only takes a few seconds for a marauding hoard to reach the castle. The way the show portrays it, that upward slop to the Castle is by the added wrap around winding driveway. But any vehicle could just drive up the public road and to the castle without needing to use the
driveway” (which appears to just be for construction staging).

They border not 1 but 2 high powered electrical transmission lines that intersect within a half mile of the castle. Just a few hundred feet to the east of the castle is the access road to the transmission lines. Imagine in a doomsday scenario how much of a thruway those transmission lines will become. From anywhere along a 2 mile stretch of those lines, the castle stands out. It’s so much easier to follow the line than to use the twisting roads which followed property lines.

The castle, although in a mountainous area, isn’t at a high spot. As a result, it’s visible from many of the higher elevation spots. I also think it’s too close to a small city where multiple roads intersect and the amount of acreage currently for sale around it could create a "development" atmosphere within the decade.

Overall, it’s just some role playing fantasy with no real world application for true preparedness under the scenarios they claim they are prepping for.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,684,613 times
I found it interesting that the dad has 10 kids. 5 from one wife and 5 from another yet only 5 of the 10 are on the show. I suspect that they may have only needed 5 or that more than likely only these 5 were willing to do it.. as in, they had no JOB/Family that they could simply drop for a year or so while they are shooting..

Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,387,720 times
The oldest son is a bit too much in the self-pity genre.

Hey, guy, quit trying to impress your father. He's not going to praise you, period.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,986,409 times
What a silly show. In a real doomsday that "castle" (does it look like a "set" to anyone...) will be a pile of rubble the first time someone with a .50BMG comes calling. LOL Not to mention their "drawbridge" which barely stops a .223.

Oh, and great idea to let the whole state know where your food and gun stash is, not to mention the wemens. Those ole North Carolina backwoods boys gonna get lonely after the apocalypse you know. LOL

Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 AM

13,148 posts, read 21,133,046 times
Them North Carliner boyz will need to head to South Carlina but they won;t get no girlz. The second the show is over they are ehading back to their condos and the spas.

To see the Castle, just use cooridinates: 34.978607,-82.725688

Old 08-27-2013, 06:10 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,520,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
A Castle is the most unnatural presence in that area. If you want to remain safe, you remain invisible. That is a bright neon sign saying Here I Am.
I agree with this, even though we watch no TV and haven't the foggiest notion of what this show is about. Our Maine acreage is invisible from the main road, as the "driveway" (un-paved) leads to a side road. With 33 acres, we chose a spot close to the center to build. While it is all new construction, the exterior colors are dark gray and a brownish-tan. No white window or door frames. All exterior doors open to the outside, not the inside. And while we framed in openings for large windows (for "later"), all the present windows are small and quite high up on the walls. The wife is not crazy about all this, but sort of understands why we are building this way for the next 10 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness