Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:45 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

A firearm is an great "equalizer" for a 1 to 1 defense situation against crime, personal attack, etc. A firearm is a good survival tool should that situation arise (hunting, protection, etc).

However, a firearm (at least the type we are allowed to have) may as well be a rubber band gun when put up against the weaponry our military, police, and up-and-coming SS have. Your trusty blunderbuss (it may as well be that) ain't gonna help much in the face of an Abrams, F-16, drone, ICBM, chemical weapons, biological agents, etc. Make no mistake, if "they" really took a mind to terminate us, we could be gone within seconds. And that's just using the stuff we know about. I wonder what "they" have that we don't know about?

So... I wouldn't get too cocky having a few rifles. Yeah, they are useful to a point, but would be insignificant in an all-out "situation." Unless you have a few missile silos in your backyard, an Abrams in the driveway, cases of RPGs under the bed, and a missile frigate floating in your toilet, our arms are small potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A firearm is an great "equalizer" for a 1 to 1 defense situation against crime, personal attack, etc. A firearm is a good survival tool should that situation arise (hunting, protection, etc).

However, a firearm (at least the type we are allowed to have) may as well be a rubber band gun when put up against the weaponry our military, police, and up-and-coming SS have. Your trusty blunderbuss (it may as well be that) ain't gonna help much in the face of an Abrams, F-16, drone, ICBM, chemical weapons, biological agents, etc. Make no mistake, if "they" really took a mind to terminate us, we could be gone within seconds. And that's just using the stuff we know about. I wonder what "they" have that we don't know about?

So... I wouldn't get too cocky having a few rifles. Yeah, they are useful to a point, but would be insignificant in an all-out "situation." Unless you have a few missile silos in your backyard, an Abrams in the driveway, cases of RPGs under the bed, and a missile frigate floating in your toilet, our arms are small potatoes.
I am far less concerned with weapons than I am food, medicines, clean water and good shelter. The weapons I have are to protect those things so my dependents don't go without. Lol, I'm hardly armed like a Marine amphibious unit, but, I am adequately armed. I sure don't have any illusions about being "combat effective".

Anyone who would actually relish the collapse of society needs to go back the their village. The idiot is conspicuously missing.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
A couple of points given the trends of the past ten years

Urban riots would likely see the deaths of primarily outlaws. People hidden in their basements, at least in the short term, are far less likely to become involved in armed confrontations than the predators who are out with plans of looting and mayhem. The looters won't be the only armed people and those shooting from cover are far more likely to win.

If there were martial law and if the military brought squad level weapons into the fray these weapons would soon be in the general population. Most civilians would die in this sort of confrontation but a few would get lucky and find themselves in possession of real war materiel. There are National Guard armories all over guarded by local people. The survivalist couple in their seventies who have RPG capabilities will suddenly become potent fighters. One Krugerrand will easily purchase an RPG and heavy weapons will be around.

A Molotov Cocktail is a destructive device under federal law, very illegal. But there's scarcely a household anywhere that doesn't have the components on hand to make them. Should there be a social breakdown we can expect to see them in play.

We don't really know what would happen for good or ill in a social breakdown but based upon historical events it may not all be bad. Unlike the Hungarians in 1956 we don't have the worry of a foreign power with a history of occupation who have an intimate knowledge of the country.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM

274 posts, read 518,414 times
I guess I have become too cynical from living too many years in the northeast but I have started thinking maybe we do some sort of TEOTWAWKI disaster to wipe out the human scum and reset humanity.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
I don't much like the 21st Century, too materialistic, too money grabbing, with its global "throw away" society, I would prefer a slower pace of life, I think we need a good clear out of the gene pool and start again with a lower population not dependant on the welfare state but what they can do for themselves.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
NO!

Life would be really hard for women, children, the elderly, pets, anyone with serious or chronic health or mental issues in even semi-SHTF situations. I do not wish it. Anyone rational that likes people and animals would not wish it.
I'd prefer to be living in the America of 1950 or perhaps the America of 1900 would be better. I'm old. I have pets one of whom is a dog who was apparently born in April, 1999. He needs Rimadyl every day so that he can get around.

I'm looking forward to social upheaval about as much as I was looking forward to having both hips replaced a couple of weeks after this thread began. I could have died. But I didn't die; I'm out of pain and just about normal.

TEOTWAWKI is hip surgery, or perhaps open heart surgery would be a better analogy. It will be dangerous, horrible, and could be fatal; social renewal could take years or decades. But what happens if TEOTWAWKI doesn't happen? What happens if a persson with a bad heart doesn't have heart surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
That our world is not sustainable as we live now is apparent to me. I'm hoping for a relatively soft landing but we are preparing for a hard landing for my family with sustainable farming, orchards, small livestock, alternate power generation, food storage, home industry and the like in the works as well as stocking barter items hoping not to see it in my lifetime.
I feel terrible about what happens to animals; they are truly innocent observers. But today there are milions of animals on factory farms and in laboratories, purposeful breeding of dogs and cats while millions die in shelters, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I don't much like the 21st Century, too materialistic, too money grabbing, with its global "throw away" society, I would prefer a slower pace of life, I think we need a good clear out of the gene pool and start again with a lower population not dependant on the welfare state but what they can do for themselves.
This country was a far better pace in the Nineteenth Century when the population was unashamedly materialistic.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I don't really look forward to it, I grew up living some of that lifestyle and have been to several 3rd world countries and still wouldn't want to do that lifestyle 24/7/365. But I would like to see this country get a social adjustment and focused back on family and a wholesome lifestyle and relate more to the worlds condition and let this present I want it now and all of it with out working or waiting, generation(s) disappear.
I get so tired of a conversation with someone that is constantly pointing out how to get around doing something or out right lying about doing it and not feeling bad what so ever about it.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 PM

195 posts, read 281,443 times
I never worried much about all that "fix it" stuff. So few will survive that there''ll be plenty of guns, parts, shelter, etc. all the game will be long dead, so there will be very little to shoot at, and the noise will likely just be calling in the people who'll kill you. So there won't be much shooting, except maybe with CB caps or pellet rifles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness