Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:02 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times

Advertisements

Lots of options out there, most are 12v DC so they run off of a battery/solar cell arrangement. There are a myriad of models and makes out there, for instance

Envirolet DC12 Composting Toilet (12VDC Battery)

They don't require a huge amount of airflow, so a low electrical draw fan works fine for them.

Just do a search for battery operated composting toilets.

My quick search brought in 60,000 hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
If zoning does not allow a septic system, there may be problems with composting toilets also.

In our area, you can not have a dwelling without a septic system [unless there is a grandfathered outhouse].

If you are allowed composting toilets, there is no need to have electric ones. There are many that do not use electricity.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If zoning does not allow a septic system, there may be problems with composting toilets also.

In our area, you can not have a dwelling without a septic system [unless there is a grandfathered outhouse].

If you are allowed composting toilets, there is no need to have electric ones. There are many that do not use electricity.
I have a place close to a Lake that we can't have Septic System but I can have Composting Toilet. Mine uses Electric for Heat and Air Flow. Was using Peat Moss but switched to Green Oak Saw Dust found it works much better. Oh this is Federal Regulations we are dealing with.

brushrunner

Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
all I knowis im a single female 29 yr old homesteader whod love to be even more self sufficient nd am slowly working towards it and would LOVE to find a man as equally interested but whos not fixed on gender roles...NO I wont stay in the house and cook your diner while your out playing with the tractor thank you, YOU cook ill go rev that engine!
Tractor? That's what girls use. They always want to work with machines that do all the work. Men use tools

Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
The cooking sound's like more fun to me anyway. But stay out of the kitchen. You get Mickey-D's happy meals on that tractor of yours. The home-baked bread and other such real food that smells so good when you near the house is off limits. It's for me. All you get to smell is artificial, imitation hamburger, pretend french fries, and diesel fumes. Have fun!

Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Tractor? That's what girls use. They always want to work with machines that do all the work. Men use tools
And that is why you never see a man driving a tractor. Men use real tools and you can drive along in farm country and see real men out there in the fields, turning the dirt with a shovel and leveling it with a rake.

If you see anyone out there with a tractor, plow, or harrow, it will be a woman because they are the ones who use machines that do all the work.

I can't even begin to make any sense of your post, gwynedd.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
Sorry, what I am looking for is a composting toilet that doesn't use electricity or battery power. I know you can google it and get tons of results. What I was hoping for was someone who has had experience with a non electric, non battery powered composting toilet. I want one that does not use energy, yet does not harm the environment. Yep, the regs in my area say that I have to have a septic tank installed, but they don't say I have to use it.

Growing up, we did not have a septic tank, we had an out house, and we ran our grey water out on the ground. I am just trying to figure out the best way to go to protect my kid's environment. I don't want to use more energy than necessary, but I do not want to pollute the water or earth.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And that is why you never see a man driving a tractor. Men use real tools and you can drive along in farm country and see real men out there in the fields, turning the dirt with a shovel and leveling it with a rake.

If you see anyone out there with a tractor, plow, or harrow, it will be a woman because they are the ones who use machines that do all the work.

I can't even begin to make any sense of your post, gwynedd.
You have a better sense of humor than I do, but you might want to add a little moisture to it in case someone takes it straight. Some people just take everything seriously.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,582 times
Now I know why I don't have women friends and generally women don't like me!! I never realized "most" women wouldn't like a self-sufficient life style until reading this forum. I've been too busy the last thirty-five years preserving, storing and cooking food and raised five kids and spoil my husband. We lived with out a modern bathroom, cooked on a wood stove which also heated hot water. In recent years we now have a 12 gal hot water heater and an apartment size washer. Before that clothes were washed by hand. I never felt deprived because we loved each other, ate very well from our garden , raised goats and chickens and had basic necessities of life.We didn't have much money so we lived within our means and don't have debts. We ride bicycles or use the horse and cart. We recycled and reused most things and avoided spending money unnecessarily.The fact is there was little time for visiting until winter when the seasonal work was done.It is true female family members would tell me they felt sorry for me but I didn't know why. Farming of any kind is hard work but eating what you grow is the best way to have a healthy life right into old age. I definitely wouldn't want a different life style!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmrose View Post
Now I know why I don't have women friends and generally women don't like me!! I never realized "most" women wouldn't like a self-sufficient life style until reading this forum. I've been too busy the last thirty-five years preserving, storing and cooking food and raised five kids and spoil my husband. We lived with out a modern bathroom, cooked on a wood stove which also heated hot water. In recent years we now have a 12 gal hot water heater and an apartment size washer. Before that clothes were washed by hand. I never felt deprived because we loved each other, ate very well from our garden , raised goats and chickens and had basic necessities of life.We didn't have much money so we lived within our means and don't have debts. We ride bicycles or use the horse and cart. We recycled and reused most things and avoided spending money unnecessarily.The fact is there was little time for visiting until winter when the seasonal work was done.It is true female family members would tell me they felt sorry for me but I didn't know why. Farming of any kind is hard work but eating what you grow is the best way to have a healthy life right into old age. I definitely wouldn't want a different life style!
Mirrors the conditions when I spent time at my grandparents family dairy farm...

One year her peaches had the blight and I brought with me a case of DelMonte cling peaches not realizing they had no can opener...

They also had no garbage to speak of... most items bought in bulk, table scraps went to the hogs... wood and cartons for the stove and glass mason jars reused...

It was really like stepping back in time except it was not lacking in comfort... the old wood boiler kept the home nice in winter and the porcelin and chrome wood stove always had bread baking.

No TV... they did listen to the evening news on the radio after supper.

No need for refrigeration either... they had a cool and dry cellar that kept provisions all year.

They lived well into their 90's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness