Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
There is absolutely a way... Let's draw factual parallels between India and all US States in the abstract...

India was ruled by a remote government, with local administration that was subservient to that remote government (the British government).

US States are ruled by a remote government, with local administration that is subservient to that remote government (the Federal Government).

India was ruled under coercion, with the threat of Military force by that remote government.

US States are ruled under coercion, with the threat of Military force by that remote government. [See US Civil war]

India rebelled over what it believed to be oppressive taxation and activities by it's remote government.

If India rebelled over subjectively oppressive taxation and activities by it's remote government, the logical conclusion is you would support any or all US States rebelling over subjectively oppressive taxation and activities of their remote government. To believe otherwise is false logic
So in that case you should be in much better position than the Indian population of 19th and early 20th century. The 2nd amendment guarantees you the right to bear arms to be used against an oppressive government. You hear it all the time, every time gun control is mentioned. It is in fact the prime reason for that amendment. So, what are you waiting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I think there is a myth being perpetuated around that you can just collect money every month on welfare and not show anything for it and do it indefinitely.
Mmmm, I don't know. Maybe it's not supposed to be that way, but I think it sometimes turns out that way. One of my aunts did nothing besides have kids (out of wedlock) for nearly her whole life. And of course... she was on welfare, you guessed it, for her whole life. I actually liked her a lot. Nice lady. But a little messed up in that regard.

My "disabled" neighbor works like a horse... starting about 11 pm and into the early morning so that the disability folks do not see that (surprise) he CAN work! Now, in his case, you're probably right (hopefully): it's only a matter of time. I hope he goes to jail for it.

Quote:
Your logic reminds me of a guy I once hired - bright dude but the problem was, he only wanted to do the absolute minimum possible to get by. He did, for 6 months and then was fired.
Ehhh... yeah, but there's always a way around that... get a government job.

Kidding aside, he was selling his time to you to perform a certain function. Either it was adequate based on the employment expectations or it wasn't. It must not have been. Either that, or you should have "raised the bar" with the job description a bit.

Quote:
As for people doing things unless they have to - well, I know a whole lot of people who love what they do and are successful at it. Do they HAVE to do what they do and as much as they do it? Nope. They want to. Isn't that at the core of the American entrepreneurship spirit?
* see earlier comment about robots.

Kidding aside again, if there were a common employment position called the "Leonardo Da Vinci - style Polymath," I'd agree with you. But today's social tendency toward specialization (and mono-function) is deadly, psychologically and creatively speaking, absolutely confining to the extreme, and astonishingly boring beyond all comprehension.

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-08-2013 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Mmmm, I don't know. Maybe it's not supposed to be that way, but I think it sometimes turns out that way. One of my aunts did nothing besides have kids (out of wedlock) for nearly her whole life. And of course... she was on welfare, you guessed it, for her whole life. I actually liked her a lot. Nice lady. But a little messed up in that regard.
I don't think you could pull that off today. But then again, I have never tried - always been gainfully employed, paid my way through college with two jobs (this is why I rant about the need for higher education to be free) etc.

Quote:
My "disabled" neighbor works like a horse... starting about 11 pm and into the early morning so that the disability folks do not see that (surprise) he CAN work! Now, in his case, you're probably right (hopefully): it's only a matter of time. I hope he goes to jail for it.
That's clearly fraud and you should pick up the phone and call the authorities.

Quote:
Kidding aside again, if there were a common employment position called the "Leonardo Da Vinci - style Polymath," I'd agree with you. But today's social tendency toward specialization (and mono-function) is deadly, psychologically and creatively speaking, absolutely confining to the extreme, and astoundingly boring beyond all comprehension.
You would be surprised - there are plenty of positions today that require deep knowledge of math but do not require you to do only one thing. Data science comes to mind - it definitely requires creativity and analytical brains...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness