Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,898,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Google "free camping" for your area, also "boon docking" and "cycling" to find places to stay where you will not be harassed by police. Google churches in the area to see who will give out food if you need some. You can also look for homeless shelters if you need to. Lots of people out there that will help you instead of just posting garbage to you. It's why America hasn't been destroyed yet. Once the good folks are all gone this country will be history, check out Sodom in the Bible.
Good suggestions. There is also homeless forums, that could have support. Can't remember the names offhand though. The free camping can be fruitful, depending on where one is. Also I would add to check out intentional communities and work exchange. Even Craigslist can be useful.

World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms - WWOOF
Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

I would utilize internet resources as much as possible for information and community.

Amazon.com has good prices on some sleeping bags for cold weather. A problem with no place to deliver. Can be good for features or model shopping. Camping or sporting goods places do have better selections than department stores. Those mummy type. I do think that is a good idea with a pad and possibly an air mattress, though not for car. Air mattresses are not what they once were, though.

Last edited by CDusr; 09-20-2013 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,887,431 times
[quote=docryan;31435275]Spent some time in Rockies this weekend began to think if Im in suv anyways why not road trip West Coast making my way back to Denver in late December.
Worried that 2700 a mth might not b enough to get me by?[/QUOTE]

You could live indoors on that sum of money in Cortez and many other places in Colorado. Around here you can get a very nice apartment for about $700 -$800/month.

Why do you think you need to sleep in your car?

Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM

163 posts, read 422,756 times
[quote=Colorado Rambler;31486058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
Spent some time in Rockies this weekend began to think if Im in suv anyways why not road trip West Coast making my way back to Denver in late December.
Worried that 2700 a mth might not b enough to get me by?[/QUOTE]

You could live indoors on that sum of money in Cortez and many other places in Colorado. Around here you can get a very nice apartment for about $700 -$800/month.

Why do you think you need to sleep in your car?
Oh no sorry didn't mean to come off as can't afford an apt, that's just a portion of my income and I'm well aware I can afford a nice place pretty much anywhere. OK here it is picked up moved out West (Colorado) on the first of September to begin school in January. So I figured I'd drive out camp out for no more than week in Boulder or Estes Park until I locked down a place to formerly live. Insert now BIBLICAL FLOODS! The day I was set to leave FL my cars A/C died(which I'd had fixed 2mths earlier or so I thought for $350) so this cost me another $350 plus moving a day later. So about half way into my drive Oklahoma somewhere (I took scenic route) I learned that my old complex accidentally removed $3k from my account, since I nor they caught it on day of withdrawal it was fully processed, this obviously caused huge issue in my move now.
99 percent of places want 1st lasts & security deposit so using your #'so on low end $800 that's $2400 before you talk about pet deposits 2 cats on Avg has been $175per so that's $350 plus extra $25-$75 per math on rent then we're not even at deposits for utilities which can run upwards anywhere from 2x's units avg mthly bill or more!
So even just a local move just to get into a place can cost someone upwards of $4k just to walk into the unit.

So regardless I knew I was stuck for this month camping or in my car, coupled a now financial I'll struggle cause even going to state parks cost as much as heap hotel, heck cabins r $80per night, $30 for tents..
So I figured would I be better off traveling around the West seeing sights and buy household goods and furniture while traveling and come December move into a place fully stocked & prepped for school in January.
Also it took complex 3wks to get me my $ back by which time bills had overdrawn my account leaving me w/ virtually barely enough to feed myself off of and put some gas in car. And before anyone states it there is no one to turn to for assistance, Brothers a Pastor (speaks for itself) best friend almost died 5mths ago after gastro bypass surgery and they're now half million in debt. But I look at this as a growing learning experience.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 PM

645 posts, read 1,271,561 times

Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,898,436 times
[quote=docryan;31487653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh no sorry didn't mean to come off as can't afford an apt, that's just a portion of my income and I'm well aware I can afford a nice place pretty much anywhere. OK here it is picked up moved out West (Colorado) on the first of September to begin school in January. So I figured I'd drive out camp out for no more than week in Boulder or Estes Park until I locked down a place to formerly live. Insert now BIBLICAL FLOODS! The day I was set to leave FL my cars A/C died(which I'd had fixed 2mths earlier or so I thought for $350) so this cost me another $350 plus moving a day later. So about half way into my drive Oklahoma somewhere (I took scenic route) I learned that my old complex accidentally removed $3k from my account, since I nor they caught it on day of withdrawal it was fully processed, this obviously caused huge issue in my move now.
99 percent of places want 1st lasts & security deposit so using your #'so on low end $800 that's $2400 before you talk about pet deposits 2 cats on Avg has been $175per so that's $350 plus extra $25-$75 per math on rent then we're not even at deposits for utilities which can run upwards anywhere from 2x's units avg mthly bill or more!
So even just a local move just to get into a place can cost someone upwards of $4k just to walk into the unit.

So regardless I knew I was stuck for this month camping or in my car, coupled a now financial I'll struggle cause even going to state parks cost as much as heap hotel, heck cabins r $80per night, $30 for tents..
So I figured would I be better off traveling around the West seeing sights and buy household goods and furniture while traveling and come December move into a place fully stocked & prepped for school in January.
Also it took complex 3wks to get me my $ back by which time bills had overdrawn my account leaving me w/ virtually barely enough to feed myself off of and put some gas in car. And before anyone states it there is no one to turn to for assistance, Brothers a Pastor (speaks for itself) best friend almost died 5mths ago after gastro bypass surgery and they're now half million in debt. But I look at this as a growing learning experience.
Can possibly get damages. It is always a bad idea to let someone have access to your account. Do take care of yourself though. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:17 PM

[quote=CDusr;31491660]
Quote:
Can possibly get damages. It is always a bad idea to let someone have access to your account. Do take care of yourself though. Good luck.
Bank would only refund max of 3 NSFs which doesn't come close to covering all of them, and any compensation from previous landlord wouldn't be worth attempting to get, I mean it took almost a month to get $ they acknowledged they incorrectly took, so getting anything now won't undo anything.

Learning experience!!!

Once 1st is here things will be bit better, thank u for the concern! :-)

Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh, man did you get flooded out?

For whatever reason it seems like everyone in Colorado is losing their housing right now. If it's not because of the flood, it's because of something else. I'm facing being homeless myself, and I've come to the same decision. I won't cut and run, but the thought of the cold coming in late fall and winter brings me no joy.

First of all, you're going to have to find a safe place to park your car where the cops won't come knock on your window and tell you to move on. Then you are going to need the warmest down sleeping bag you can find. If you're broke, put out the word that you need one. A kind hearted person may give you an old one of theirs that they happen to have laying around. Such a gift was once bestowed on me.

The reason sleeping in a car is so cold is that the heat escapes right thru the glass windshield, etc. Get some card board and rig it up so that you can cover your windshield and side windows with it (do it from the inside of the car, not the outside). A candle stuck in an empty coffee can will keep a car interior with the windows covered by card board surprisingly warm. Get all the warm winter gear you can get your hands on. You'll appreciate that pair of woolen socks, believe me.

If you live in a metro area, at the very least, retreat to the outskirts of town. It's dangerous to sleep in your car in Colorado Springs or Denver and it's illegal. Find some place away from the crowded city streets where you can park semi-hidden.

Good luck and I hope all of us in Colorado will be seeing better times soon.
Thank u so much no wonder car didn't stay warm last nite in Steamboat it got as low as 22+/- my cats were diving in sleeping bag with me.

As I told other poster things will be bit better come 1st, by which point will need to have decided if I'll spend winter traveling or find somewhere dirt cheap to rent?

Again thaxs for concern & thoughts

Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Biggest problem is finding a place to park, during the day as well as at night. Cowdog had some suggestions; Wal-Marts let you park overnight in the lots for limited nights. Commuter lots are also great, as well as truck stops. Once you have this part taken care of, the rest falls into place.

One homeless guy I know had another tip: if you can be seen sleeping from a window, use dark navy blankets and pillowcases. He claims they make you almost invisible at night. Hard to find black, but he says dark navy does the same thing.
Good tip thanks

Old 09-21-2013, 07:59 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,958,435 times
Yes. Beautiful!

I spent some footloose time in the 60's -70's. Just getting by - washing up in the local river - man it was COLD in the summer! [Central Oregon, Deschutes River]. Couldn't have kept that up thru the winter. No.

But folks do - and make do - with what they have - with what they can get. I like the positive advice in this thread. I don't like the slamming of other posters 'cause "they're too religious" or "they take the religion wrong". Forget that, man. There are good, and real, suggestions in those posts. Live the positive.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,887,431 times
Quote:
Thank u so much no wonder car didn't stay warm last nite in Steamboat it got as low as 22+/- my cats were diving in sleeping bag with me.

As I told other poster things will be bit better come 1st, by which point will need to have decided if I'll spend winter traveling or find somewhere dirt cheap to rent?

Again thaxs for concern & thoughts
What shape is your vehicle in? If it's an older model, you'd be better off finding an inexpensive place to hold out through the winter months. As I recall, you posted something about having car problems already. Touring around the West in an old car that you can't afford to properly maintain is not recommended. If you avoid the glitzy and/or ski resort towns, there's any number of inexpensive Colorado towns with lower rents. Ask your question in the Colorado forum. There's lots of helpful people there who can give you any number of ideas.

If you're really in love with the idea of traveling around in the winter, don't stay in Colorado. Head for the more southern parts of New Mexico and Arizona. There's tons of BLM land that you can camp on for free if you don't mind not being in an organized campground. Do as others have suggested and invest in a tent, sleeping bag, etc. Also buy the Road Atlas and Gazeteer for each of the states that you might be going to. These are a bargain at around $20 a pop and they show darn near every dirt BLM road you might want to explore - they include major highways, too - natch. I have the ones for CO, NM, UT, AZ permanently stashed in my truck - wouldn't drive around the block without them.

But if you're not an experienced camper, head for advice of the Colorado forum and check out the inexpensive places to live that they'll suggest for you.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness