Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,256 times

Advertisements

I was hoping members could provide their tips and opinion for preparing for a mobile lifestyle. To better define what I mean by that is living and being houseless for an indefinite period of time in a urban environment. The idea would be to function and live as close to normal life as possible but using resources such as gyms, libraries, restaurants, and parks to offset time that would normally would have been spent at a house. This would be even better if shared from a female's perspective.

Right now, my basic considerations is that all of my stuff would be placed in storage and replaceable items sold. I would join a 24-hour gym for exercise and showering purposes. A lock-box would be set up for valuables. The SUV would provide room to carry things I would need on me routinely. I already have proper identification (yes, I am a US citizen) and a mail arrangement in place. I am considering taking a self-defense class. Laundry and dry clean services are readily accessible.

Note: Living with someone (family/friends) would not be an option. I believe a shelter could lead to greater hazard; so as of right now, that is not an option.

I am about 50% sure that this may have to happen but will not know definitely for a few weeks. I am just trying to figure out if it does have to happen how can I make this as smooth, safe, and less-stressful as possible. Anyone's candid experience would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Get on a Apartment/house watching service. Live in other people places while they are away. For what you have in mind try asking a homeless drunk how they manage. There are plenty around any city.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
About 8 months ago I decided to live in a van. I bought a van, built a bed in it, and donated most of my stuff. Here are some tips:

Join a national gym. I'm a member of LA Fitness, but I believe Bally's has more locations.

I leave my valuables at a relatives house, but a lockbox will also work. Try not to keep much in the car.

Are you planning on living in the vehicle? If so, I'd recommend making it so that no one knows you are in there (for safety reasons). I personally like to keep the visible areas a bit messy so hopefully no one will bother breaking in. Anything valuable gets put in back or hidden under (clean) trash.

You don't need as much stuff as you think you do.

Libraries have free wireless, as do many houses. Books are great entertainment (as is travel, if you can swing it).

Wal-Mart allows overnight parking and has security cameras. Often times security vehicles driving around as well. They also have decent bathrooms (esp the family one in the back of the store) and are open 24/7.

Many parks have places to grill and prepare food.

If you are going to park on the street in front of someone's house, get there late, leave early.

I find it much easier to get in to a routine. Get up in morning, go to the gym, go to work, etc. The only difference is where you park each night.

Learn to not care for TV. I didn't have one in my apt anyway, so I didn't miss it.

You can actually start doing this now to see if the lifestyle fits you. Try it for a week while you still have a place to live.

Sorry I know nothing about feminine issues. Let me know if you have any questions. It's really not that bad. The first giant step is the most intimidating.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Oh, about me: I shower twice a day, do laundry every week, lift weights most days, don't smoke or drink, and am an employed computer contractor. I also enjoy things like the ballet, books, and I love food. I have been made fun of because I live in van but I'll gladly spend $500 on a good dinner.

Just because you live in a vehicle, doesn't mean you have to fit the stereotype.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 PM

121 posts, read 348,023 times
It will be different for different times of the year, and different parts of the country.

Once I spent several months living in a campground. My apartment was re-zoned and I had to move. I didn't want to rent an apartment for just a few months, so I got a year pass to the campground and lived in a tent. Turns out I really liked it. Showered at work, ate mostly salad so didn't need cooking, had a deep cycle battery and inverter to run my compact florescent light, portable dvd player, and electric blanket, got good cell phone reception. Lived with squirrels, blue jays, and deer as neighbors. Hiked mountain trails for exercise.

You might want to look into polyphasic sleep.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,034 times
Beware the dreaded driver license. All of them must have a physical address for each person, rather than a Post Office Box. So, if there is no physical address that you can give the good people at the DMV, there is going to be an obstacle.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 AM

Yes, the driver's license is the hard part. Fortunately, before I moved to a mobile lifestyle, I lived in an area that did not deliver mail, so I already had a PO Box. I just kept the box after moving out. I'm not sure what you can do other than using a friend/relatives address for a DL.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 PM

713 posts, read 3,439,128 times
I would love to live mobile

Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
The Minneapolis Tribune did an article of the many peoplewho are doing that ( sleeping at way side rests in their van ,showering someplace else etc)

There wasn't a one of them who were not doing it out of necessity and they sure were longing for the day when once again they could have a roof over their head with a foundation under it.

Many of them still had a job, but were evicted from their former place of living due to lower pay.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,978 times
You do know that millions of people are living like this everyday, there called truck drivers, Its a great way to see the country and get paid well too.
why not just get your class A CDL and hire on with a national company.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness