Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:24 AM

163 posts, read 424,806 times

Advertisements

Had a rough go of it over past cpl weeks, pretty much anything that could of gone awry did
but I told myself I would not tuck n run Id make it thru.

So anyone out there been in spot like this? Got any helpful insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Cowboy up.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
You can amaze yourself at what you can do if you have little or no choices. I lived out of my pickup for a couple of months before I bought a camper to live in. It wasn't the best of circumstances but I survived and learned I had more in me than I thought.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes but I didn't like it so I changed

Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Truck drivers sleep in their trucks all the time.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
Had a rough go of it over past cpl weeks, pretty much anything that could of gone awry did
but I told myself I would not tuck n run Id make it thru.

So anyone out there been in spot like this? Got any helpful insight?
Google "free camping" for your area, also "boon docking" and "cycling" to find places to stay where you will not be harassed by police. Google churches in the area to see who will give out food if you need some. You can also look for homeless shelters if you need to. Lots of people out there that will help you instead of just posting garbage to you. It's why America hasn't been destroyed yet. Once the good folks are all gone this country will be history, check out Sodom in the Bible.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Google "free camping" for your area, also "boon docking" and "cycling" to find places to stay where you will not be harassed by police. Google churches in the area to see who will give out food if you need some. You can also look for homeless shelters if you need to. Lots of people out there that will help you instead of just posting garbage to you. It's why America hasn't been destroyed yet. Once the good folks are all gone this country will be history, check out Sodom in the Bible.
This is not the religion forum, Cowdog. But since you brought it up, what makes you think "the good folks" will ever be "all gone"?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I guess I "could." I would see if there were any state or local parks nearby that would permit me to camp overnight. My city has places that feed the homeless a hot meal everyday, so check with social services for food sources and possible temporary places to stay and/or grab a hot shower.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:17 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Yeah, I went broke one time in the '80s (lost two of the 3 jobs I had when the economy crashed), lived in my pick-up until it got repo'd then bought a junker and lived in that for a number of months. I ate mostly canned beans and bread and washed up in gas station bathrooms until I managed to work my part-time job into full-time work and saved enough money to get another place to live. It sucks, especially in the Winter, but it's do-able.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Biggest problem is finding a place to park, during the day as well as at night. Cowdog had some suggestions; Wal-Marts let you park overnight in the lots for limited nights. Commuter lots are also great, as well as truck stops. Once you have this part taken care of, the rest falls into place.

One homeless guy I know had another tip: if you can be seen sleeping from a window, use dark navy blankets and pillowcases. He claims they make you almost invisible at night. Hard to find black, but he says dark navy does the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness