Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,663,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I can't either. Around here, they were super-common (especially out in the more desert areas) when I was a kid. Now, you seldom see them. They've generally been replaced with electric pump. Nothing against electric pumps, but those windmills were free to operate, that around here there is wind often enough so that they were working most of the time. Seems to me like one of those "good techniques/technologies" that were replaced due to what I would call the "better mousetrap syndrome." Is there are reason for an electric mousetrap, or does the old mechanical spring-loaded mousetrap work just find? Shiny and new is not ALWAYS better (IMO).

You can thank your government for that. Water windmills began disappearing in the 30s when the Fed subsidized power to farms and homesteads.

We can also thank the Fed for industrializing our food system, beginning during WWII. Quantity and convenience over quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:39 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,268,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Its a whole house generator hard wired to the power grid tied systems. So, sounds like we need the invertor. I think we have the electrical skills to figure it out.
Whole house generator tied to the grid? Should not need an inverter, just the generator. The inverter is only for turning the solar power stored in your battery bank(DC) into alternating current(AC) of the correct voltage. I do hope the grid-tied generator is hooked up via transfer switch, as a generator running tied directly to the grid system feeds power back into the lines, posing a danger to linemen attempting to repair the cause of the outage. The purpose of the transfer switch is to make sure this does not happen.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Whole house generator tied to the grid? Should not need an inverter, just the generator. The inverter is only for turning the solar power stored in your battery bank(DC) into alternating current(AC) of the correct voltage. I do hope the grid-tied generator is hooked up via transfer switch, as a generator running tied directly to the grid system feeds power back into the lines, posing a danger to linemen attempting to repair the cause of the outage. The purpose of the transfer switch is to make sure this does not happen.
OK...maybe I misunderstood the question, maybe I misspoke ........Its a whole house generator that currently comes on if the power goes out for X amount of time...I think its either 30-60 seconds. It is tied into the house systems(not all...kitchen, certain lights, 1 heat/a/c zone, well pump), i.e. systems tied to the grid which is how I understood the question.

Other than that, I don't know. However, it was professionally installed with permits/inspections, so I doubt it poses a hazard to linemen. They are fairly common in the area due to hurricaines/tropical storms.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,525,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
You can thank your government for that. Water windmills began disappearing in the 30s when the Fed subsidized power to farms and homesteads.
I've seen windmills miles from any dwelling or power line; they were set up for cattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
In some areas the water windmill's primary purpose was getting water to livestock. Since people kept too much livestock, the land got eaten down to stumps and destroyed, reducing the carrying capacity. People reduced the herd sizes and let the windmills deteriorate beyond repair. With time the people who knew how to build them and repair them died off, their kids no longer interested in ranching moved to cities. So on and so on.

When someone does come back to a piece of land or acquires it by other means, they generally tend to put in new stuff (if the old stuff is broken or they don't understand how it works or how to fix it). A solar panel with an associated pump and a pipe does the job today - it is just what people think of (I think it is mostly cultural).
Aeromotor and others still make windmills; they're easy to install. Solar windmills had a very poor reputation a few years ago and probably still do.

Windmills can compress air as well.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 01-01-2014 at 12:26 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,220,923 times
I'm holding my breath hoping I can sell this house (way too crowded and expensive here in southern NH) and move to my retirement (bug-out) location before the collapse takes hold.

If it starts going next summer, I'll be stuck here and hunkering down, but I won't be happy.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 AM

25,295 posts, read 18,439,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
In some areas the water windmill's primary purpose was getting water to livestock. Since people kept too much livestock, the land got eaten down to stumps and destroyed, reducing the carrying capacity. People reduced the herd sizes and let the windmills deteriorate beyond repair. With time the people who knew how to build them and repair them died off, their kids no longer interested in ranching moved to cities. So on and so on.

When someone does come back to a piece of land or acquires it by other means, they generally tend to put in new stuff (if the old stuff is broken or they don't understand how it works or how to fix it). A solar panel with an associated pump and a pipe does the job today - it is just what people think of (I think it is mostly cultural).

Anyways, my $.02
Yeah, familiarity and the old "out of sight out of mind" effect.

Note: Sorry about that last post, all! I've had my share of bloopers here, but in reading back through it this morning, I found it to be nearly indecipherable. And certainly inexcusable. I have no idea how that one got past me. And... NO, I was NOT drunk.

Although that certainly would be a good excuse for the post.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 AM

25,295 posts, read 18,439,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
And, they are "thankable" for many things. Unfortunately.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,525,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've seen windmills miles from any dwelling or power line; they were set up for cattle.

Aeromotor and others still make windmills; they're easy to install. Solar windmills had a very poor reputation a few years ago and probably still do.

Windmills can compress air as well.
I don't know what I was thinking whe I wrote that; I obviously meant solar-powered electric water pumps. It's far better to use mechanical rather than elecric power as there's nothing that can't be fixed by a competent mechanic. Parts manufacture would probably be in the area of blacksmith, machinist, or foundry. I did some experiments a while back on the last; it was interesting and showed me that it was quite practical.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,837,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And, they are "thankable" for many things. Unfortunately.
Fed subsidized power to farms and ranches, in my opinion, has little with the abandonment of water windmills since most of these were to water livestock miles into the ranch where you typically would not have power anyways. But, I may be wrong...

Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,837,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't know what I was thinking whe I wrote that; I obviously meant solar-powered electric water pumps. It's far better to use mechanical rather than elecric power as there's nothing that can't be fixed by a competent mechanic. Parts manufacture would probably be in the area of blacksmith, machinist, or foundry. I did some experiments a while back on the last; it was interesting and showed me that it was quite practical.
Well, if you were or had a competent electrician you would be able to do the repairs. Manufacturing parts, on the other hand - you are right. Mechanical is always easier if all you have is rocks, wood and some metal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness