Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM

10 posts, read 20,752 times

Advertisements

survivorman only had it easy food-wise and not freezing-to-death-wise with no jaguars and maneaters in the south pacific with his feast of clams and coconuts.
dawn of the dead shows what the burbs will look like when the looting rioting hordes flee the burning la riots cities and that in the end a boat and offshore was the only way to survive.
thusly i am sailing my catamaran around the south pacific paradises forever.
maitais and native girls!
a few cannibals and headhunters for sure but that is what my stainless mini 14s and berettas are for.
dreams can come true when everyone else is eating it or being eaten!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
The assumption that when there is trouble the police will handle it is false sometimes
Often they r here to control not protect

Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Well, other than the fact that TV and movies are fiction and have nothing to teach to anybody about anything....

Sailing around in a sailboat is very romantic, but the oceans are pretty well fished out and if you talk to people who do a lot of traveling in sailboats, you will discover that fish are hard to catch and what you will catch will be mostly mackerel.

Mackerel is nasty and it is not a balanced diet. So, I hope you are carrying a huge locker full of vitamins.

Docking anywhere is very costly. You don't get to just sail in and tie up without paying. Currently, you must have passports and visa.

You go to jail for having a gun on your boat in the majority of countries out there.

Pirates are already too bold. They won't get any better if civilization collapses.

If the end of civilization happens and you don't need to pay for docking and passports, you won't be able to pull the boat up to a dock and leave it there without a crew of armed guards ready to cast off and flee at the first sign of trouble.

Those tropical paradises are all hooked to world wide communication. They aren't out there isolated and unaware of what is going on in the world.

(Is you post referring to a movie I have missed?)

Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I think that in a SHTF scenario, a sailboat would be a very good place to be during the initial rioting, looting and murdering phase. Once things calm down and some measure of order takes hold (aka, the idiots have died off, most of the roaming bands have killed each other, starved or have been eliminated by "villages" and hiding out has give way to trading), it would be good to move back to a land based existence.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
I haven't seen any "survival" movies or shows that I have taken seriously beyond entertainment value. Yeah, there are certainly good shows relating to survival, but just as Little House on the Prairie might have been a "good show," I'm no more willing to take any other show any more seriously (beyond entertainment) for "survival" than I did that.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
TV is programming. Movies are fantasy.

There may accidentally be some tiny bit of useful information in these media but it is usually drowning disinformation.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM

256 posts, read 479,994 times
I don't think movies can "teach" you survival, but I watch some of them for the sake of observing human behavior in time of crisis - it is portrayed realistically most of the time, unfortunately.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
I don't think movies can "teach" you survival, but I watch some of them for the sake of observing human behavior in time of crisis - it is portrayed realistically most of the time, unfortunately.
I couldn't agree more, especially with the words in bold and italics. Watching shows like "Survivor Man" aren't too bad. Les Stroud is generally full of information and he frequently reminds his audience that it is entirely staged and the safety of everybody is always first, so his show isn't as risky as it could be. I feel that anybody watching a Ray Mears would do themselves well if they're interested in "survival." That man's both honest and humble. Even "survival" experts that are honest point out how they were heavily briefed on the area by experts on the local terrain, flora, and fauna.

Previous posters have pointed out the short comings of survival media. It is clearly scripted bread and circuses entertainment. Most media is full bad acting and advice. However, by watching it, one's curiosity could be piqued enough to put them into action. I can watch 100 videos or movies that show how to make fire by friction, but until I actually go out and do it, I realize that there is a lot of acquired skills that have to be learned before I am successful.

Thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 09-27-2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
In many cases, the television series and "documentary" types show what NOT to do. They're a great educational aid... at the end of each episode turn to your family and say "What 5 things did they do that would get them killed in reality".

Some (a FEW) movies are a little more realistic, but there are still inaccuracies due to needing to maintain a storyline. Even during one of those, you can still find them doing 4-5 things that would get them dead if they weren't extremely lucky.

Les Stroud/Survivorman was one of the better shows because he stressed how important it was to calmly assess your situation, not do anything heroic or stupid (and pointing out when he screwed himself by doing so), and just getting home to the wife and kids. Many others filming these survival series do crazy adventure-type crap that would get the average person killed in that situation. Most of survival is about being smart, safe and methodical; not cliff-diving, eating raw snake, drinking urine, or building lamborgini's out of quackgrass.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
Survivorman, and Bear Grylls talked a lot of information about surviving during different scenarios, and some of it was interesting. There is two things, though, that I would have to think long, and, hard about. One would be sinking my teeth into those bratwurst-size grub worms that gush all that putrid looking gunk out like they would do occasionally on the shows. Even the actors say they taste nasty. I would look high, and low to find protein in a different form, and only resort to grub worms if it was life or death. And, even then, I would have to be pretty close to death. The other thing is drinking my own urine. It could be distilled down to extract the water from it, but not drink it straight up. A little too extreme for my line of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness