Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Oh, I agree with you ChrisC, as I almost always to. That's my point, it IS a slow descent; and I also think it's already happening, and has been for some time (maybe actually started about 30 years ago, just about the time I came into full adulthood, yeah for me), but now almost on a day-by-day basis, from what I see.

I just notice that a lot of people think there's going to be some "defining" moment or event, and I wouldn't wait for it. That comes from watching too much "zombie" entertainment, etc., which I do love myself. But that's fantasy, a metaphor perhaps for what's really happening, but fantasy non the less.

I too was born into the "wonder years". My parents and grandparents enjoyed the most prosperous times in this country; secure jobs, secure retirements, etc. My brother and I, both 1960's babies, were just marveling the other day at the neighborhood we grew up in, in an upper middle class suburb, where some kids' father's had blue-collar jobs, and yet only that one income was needed for the family to enjoy a good life, for the kids to go to college, a nice home, a pension at retirement, etc. Layoffs and foreclosures were unheard of. Gone are those times, or so it seems.

Yeah, we are the next ones to experience a "depression" era I'm afraid, cyclic maybe, only this time, it's different.
I do believe we are on the same page, here. (well, okay, actually I guess that earns a due to the subject matter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, very nice "hacienda" they have there. I noticed when I was in Peru for a time that some things were dirt cheap (mostly essential sorts of things) and other things were outrageous (mostly luxury items).

One thing I will say is that I really did relate to the "attitude" about life in general that the common person had down there (I'm not talking about the mega-wealthy or dirt poor -- just the average person). They see things very differently than the "average" person here in the states see things. Things were much less hectic and much more laid back. That's my personality type as well, and so our "balls to the wall" society has never appealed to me or been a very good fit. "Serenity" and simplicity is something that I cherish above most anything else (and simple aesthetic beauty in design). And that's not our way in the US at all.

On the other hand, there are certainly downsides. The political climate (at least in Ecuador, Bolivia, and Peru) is a bit iffy. I could see myself in a setting as in the videos as far as lifestyle, but I'd always be worried about the political situation (but then again, I'm damned worried about it here anyway). Again, from my own research, I'd be more prone to go to either southern Chile, northern Coastal Chile, or Uruguay. But if the political situation in Ecuador would magically become a guaranteed stable situation, I would definitely be open to a place like Vilacabamba. As you said, it's definitely a nirvana-ish setting... sans the politics. And I'd love to speak primarily Spanish -- I get very little practice these days and I find Spanish (and French) to be far more logical (and regular) in structure.
From the way they make it sound and from the other videos I've seen, it seems like in some respects, Vilcabamba to Ecuador is like Jamestown is to Rhode Island ( for those who know RI and Jamestown especially).

Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Good luck finding a place with 45-50 winters and not hot in the summers!
arizona high country. plenty of water if you know to look but expect 75-100in of snow

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
It's just such a nice fantasy though, isn't it? All the stupid, annoying, people, the "parasites", the ones that annoy us so much, the "golden hordes" doing away with each other over the course of a few days, leaving the rest of us smart, informed and "prepared" people to live in peace in a world that's a cross between Little Home on the Prairie mixed with the few desirable technologies we would still like to have at our disposal; we "chosen" ones taking the country back and living in peace and harmony again...

What I don't think will happen is that there is some "event", some undeniable event, that is going to say to us "this it it! this is really it! the flag has gone up! the lights have gone out!". That absolute certaintity is what a lot of people seem to be waiting for and expecting. Look around you. I wouldn't wait too long.

No it will be a series of events one of which happened today with Chase Bank announcing depositors have new limited access to their deposits. » Chase Bank Claims Concern About Capital Controls is an “Overreaction” Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

They've been using the boiling frog technique since day one and since so many people aren't paying attention and are more interested in Sports and "Dancing with the Stars", and few are showing any resistance, globalists including Obama have been making great strides in their power grab.

Last edited by emilybh; 10-17-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post
I'm a future zombie. Where's a place with decent weather and lots of people who aren't armed and don't move very fast?
When you add clean water and air and food into the equation it gets more difficult. You'd need to look south of the equator. Now Obama is probably preventing anyone from leaving the country considering Chase won't allow any wiring of funds outside the U.S.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post
I'm a future zombie. Where's a place with decent weather and lots of people who aren't armed and don't move very fast?

ROTFloooooooooor!!! And them some!! Oh how you've made my day!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:43 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's necessary to move to your retreat as soon as possible in order to be well-established in the community and become known as a responsible and desirable neighbor. People who try to move to an area at the last minute will be looking at a bullet. It may be possible to purchase a retreat but only live in it part-time and still become part of the community. To do this buy an expensive place to let people know that you're a good sort.

As far as what['s necessary to consider an area here's the list.

Monoracial community, the same race as yours. Looting and rioting in this country have been based upon race for the last century. However, it's easy to avoid.

Educated and prosperous community with plenty of transplants. Areas with stagnant populations are clannish and unaccepting. New comers are either not accepted or viewed as prey. Appalachia is the foremost example of this. Look for areas with an older population; older people are far less prone to violent crime than those who are younger. Look for people living on retirement income or other investments. People who telecommute or have home-based businesses are very desirable as well. Pick an area in a conservative Republican state where there are few gun laws. You must live in a state where private transfers are legal and there are no permit or registration requirements. Try to find out about concealed carry enforcement if any permit is required.

Your retreat should be at least a hundred miles from any metropolitan area of 100k or any Indian reservation and five hundred miles from any metropolitan area with a population of 500k. Make sure the nearest interstate is at least a hundred miles. The sole exception to the last two requirements is the Wahsatch Front where the LDS Church will have the situation under control. But even in Utah you must stay clear of Indian reservations.

The only states meeting the general requirements are Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, and Nevada. I would eliminate Nevada, however, because the future seems bleak. Large numbers of undesirables have already moved into Clark County; they vote.

There are a variety of areas in the other states; investigate them thoroughly before you make your move. For example, it's nice to live in an area sunny enough to have a greenhouse. You may or may not have water concerns as well.
"Monoracial community, the same race as yours. Looting and rioting in this country have been based upon race for the last century. However, it's easy to avoid."

I would think if and when TSHTF ..seeking out a "monoracial community" would be the last thing on your mind. Food, water, shelter, protection of family, friends (regardless of race) comes first to mind.....but hey, that's just me. I'm not gonna turn someone away just because of their "racial makeup". Isn't that how we found ourselves in the predicament in the first place? Unable to live together? Un-united, divided...so we fell? Why bring such ugliness along with you if given a second chance?

That in itself might just be the "test"..................

Old 10-21-2013, 07:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
It's necessary to move to your retreat as soon as possible in order to be well-established in the community and become known as a responsible and desirable neighbor. People who try to move to an area at the last minute will be looking at a bullet. It may be possible to purchase a retreat but only live in it part-time and still become part of the community. To do this buy an expensive place to let people know that you're a good sort.

Monoracial community, the same race as yours. Looting and rioting in this country have been based upon race for the last century. However, it's easy to avoid.

Educated and prosperous community with plenty of transplants. Areas with stagnant populations are clannish and unaccepting. New comers are either not accepted or viewed as prey. Appalachia is the foremost example of this. Look for areas with an older population; older people are far less prone to violent crime than those who are younger. Look for people living on retirement income or other investments. People who telecommute or have home-based businesses are very desirable as well. Pick an area in a conservative Republican state where there are few gun laws. You must live in a state where private transfers are legal and there are no permit or registration requirements. Try to find out about concealed carry enforcement if any permit is required.

Your retreat should be at least a hundred miles from any metropolitan area of 100k or any Indian reservation and five hundred miles from any metropolitan area with a population of 500k. Make sure the nearest interstate is at least a hundred miles. The sole exception to the last two requirements is the Wahsatch Front where the LDS Church will have the situation under control. But even in Utah you must stay clear of Indian reservations.

The only states meeting the general requirements are Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, and Nevada. I would eliminate Nevada, however, because the future seems bleak. Large numbers of undesirables have already moved into Clark County; they vote.

There are a variety of areas in the other states; investigate them thoroughly before you make your move. For example, it's nice to live in an area sunny enough to have a greenhouse. You may or may not have water concerns as well.
Your particular location should have plenty of open ground with no easy way to come near your house unnoticed. Short grass prairie is ideal. It's not very subject to fire either. You should have weapons that can reliably remove interlopers to at least 50% farther than the distance from your home to your boundary. Think .338 Lapua or .50 BMG. as the two likely chamberings you'll wish. Add a .30-06 or three for old time's sake; it's still the most versatile and a proven sniper round.

A close lake or river is an excellent source of protein; just make sure it's a good distance between your place and a likely place that people in search of fish might park. I'd say a mile is the minimum distance. If the river is adjacent or runs through your property make absolutely sure there's no close access. Find out if you are required to allow anglers and others to come through your property along the river.

Before you buy make sure that there are many places suitable for caches at a variety of distances from your abode. The government has the technology to find buried metal so you must force them to cover too much ground to make it worthwhile.

Investigate the area before you buy to determine property values. Locate in the most expensive area that you can afford that's suitable for your retreat. Needless to say you don't want to be in any sort of a subdivision or in a country with any restrictions on outbuildings, livestock, or fuel storage. Buiding codes are unacceptable as well.

If you take these precautions on location everything else will fall into place.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
In the USA it is certain points west of the Rocky Mts. especially Utah. East of the Mississippi it is Blue Ridge/Smokey Mts in TN. Best of all is South of the equator because air/winds and tides above and below the equator tend to remain there and not cross the equator. So the smart ones were those that moved to South America already. Crime is better, government is MUCH better, cost of living is better. Food is clean/pure and inexpensive. Climate is nice. It is low stress. When I write this I'm thinking of a place in Ecuador.
Adios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
My opinion its eastern Kentucky if you're speaking east of the Mississippi. To the west you have the rest of the rural state, to the east you have the Virginia mountains, to the north you have west Virginia and the rural hills of Ohio, and to the south you have lightly populated hills of Tennessee.

Because of the warming effect of the hills it doesn't get quite as cold as other mountain areas, its far west enough to dodge hurricanes. Rainfall is also plenty and steady throughout the year. It's a distance from any known highways like 41 and 81. Cost of living is also some of the lowest in the nation. The catch is there are no desirable jobs. A true off-gridder could live with that.
The meth labs have replace the stills and coal mines, though.

Quote:

Pot meet kettle.

Quote:
I've heard of him. But I've never needed an advisor to guide my choice of a place of residence; I have done a far better job myself. Additionally I would never rely on someone who had a "secure" government job as opposed to succeeding in the private sector. People do not join the military because they've chosen it as the sugar plum among job offers. Demographic and political information about any political entity is widely available; you don't need some government goof to copy and paste. When my life, liberty, and money are on the line I would never trust a product of the Americans' sensitivity training and other programs for those who had to take the last hope for a loser to stay out of the homeless shelter. The day of truth will come when the government is forced to stop the pension checks although the cessation of rewards for their faithful minions will be one of the last events before this rotten husk of a once great nation crumbles into dust. Just the thought of their raiding garbage cans brings a smile to my face.
ROTFLMAO.

Quote:
Originally, zombie or jumbee simply meant a man or woman whose brains were dead but whose bodies were in an animate state under the control of another. That seems to be the way that almost all people act. They believe their Hollywood entertainment masters who teach them what to think; they believe their foreign ruler when he decrees how they must think; they believe any government employee who gives them orders. Aren't all of these people zombies? I'd say that they are, at least metaphorically.

And aren't these people, the hordes, the reason we've built our retreats? Their masters won't come to rob and murder us. Those worthies will be enjoying life in government compounds.

There really are zombies; they're just not of the image that Hollywood has promoted.
I think that "Paranoid in Wyoming" or "Delusional in Wyoming" or "Bigoted in Wyoming" would be a better screen name since you hardly seem "happy".

Quote:
Your particular location should have plenty of open ground with no easy way to come near your house unnoticed. Short grass prairie is ideal. It's not very subject to fire either. You should have weapons that can reliably remove interlopers to at least 50% farther than the distance from your home to your boundary. Think .338 Lapua or .50 BMG. as the two likely chamberings you'll wish. Add a .30-06 or three for old time's sake; it's still the most versatile and a proven sniper round.
Ummm. No. Do you know why there were/are no trees on the prairies?

Prairie fires!!!!

Old 10-22-2013, 12:59 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
... Ummm. No. Do you know why there were/are no trees on the prairies?

Prairie fires!!!!
When this continent was being explored and mapped much of today's 'prairie' was originally labeled as the 'Great American Desert'.

'Manifest Destiny' [the aftermath of the 1812 war] and the climatologist theory of the 'Rain follows the plow' fueled the Westward expansion movement. That movement relabeled the 'Great American Desert' to become the 'Great Plains'.

It was observed by the early explorers to be drought-prone desert. Westward expansion has proven it to be drought-prone desert.

Forests can not become established in drought-prone desert. Trees may grow for a few years, until the next drought comes along and kills the trees. The primary plant life that can thrive is annual grasses, which can complete their life-cycle in one season. So even a drought year fire allows them to re-seed for the next year.

You are correct that prairie fires do limit tree growth, but prairie fires are a symptom of a far greater issue; drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness