Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:01 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The chances of "global nuclear war" have diminished greatly since the Soviet Union was confined to its rightful place on history's trash heap (with the so-called "Peace Movement" fighting everyone from Reagan and Thatcher to Solzhenitsyn and the Pope every step of the way). If a nuclear weapon is ever again used in anger, it will likely come from some looney in either the Middle East, North Korea, or the Indian subcontinent.
The threat of nuclear war between USA and USSR was far less then the threat today. Todays threat just doesnt play out well as a story of us vs them. The enemy is not easily defined but the threat is more real then ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Richard Matheson's 1954 novel, I am legend which was made into a movie three times was the first to depict the combination of a apocalyptic scenario coupled with a traditional monster. In this case it was vampires.

In 1968 George Romero recast zombie's (or living dead) into a mass invasion.

The term has been extended to cover any massive loss of normal society. You might say that I keep 72 hours of food, a gun, and bottled oxygen in a room in my basement just in case there is a "zombie apocalypse". It provides you can easy out from any uncomfortable conversations about what you are really afraid of. Undoubtedly some people are afraid of race riots, but they feel uncomfortable telling people that kind of statement. No one can call you a bigot if you are afraid of a "zombie apocalypse".

Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Did anybody see those 2 weird looking guys who came in the pawn shop on Hardcore Pawn and mentioned the ..........zombie apocalypse?

Les sold them 2 chainsaws, 2 nail guns, a bag of golf clubs and a crowbar .

They said they now were prepared to hit the zombies over the head with the golf clubs or crow bar............cut their heads off with the 2 chainsaws..........nail the heads to the floor with the nail guns.

Two of the most weird guys who came in that day.

I got a good laugh.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM

25,724 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
If you don't think there really are Zombies in this world, just go to your nearest Super Walmart, pick a bench up front, then just sit and "observe" for awhile. Or, with the advent of the holiday season fast approaching, choose a Wal-mart, Target, or Best Buy near you, and go observe what happens on Black Friday, from the night before to the time the doors open at 4:00 AM or whatever other ungodly time the "festivities" begin.

Oh yes, there really are Zombies out there...
Well, yes, there is that variety of zombie as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Leave politics out of it. What if we had a major solar magnetic pulse and we lost all electronic devices? Sleep well, folks. There is a very good book that came out of one of those table top exercises. It is "One Second After". It's worth a read.
I agree. That book is thought provoking, even life changing. I have heard the author speak in person before. Amazing how such an unassuming, soft spoken man wrote such a powerful, gut-wrenching book of fiction but one that seems so real, especially in it's observences of likely human nature in a crisis like that.

It is one of a handful that have changed my way of thinking and my lens through which I view things these days.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:15 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
If you don't think there really are Zombies in this world, just go to your nearest Super Walmart, pick a bench up front, then just sit and "observe" for awhile. Or, with the advent of the holiday season fast approaching, choose a Wal-mart, Target, or Best Buy near you, and go observe what happens on Black Friday, from the night before to the time the doors open at 4:00 AM or whatever other ungodly time the "festivities" begin.

Oh yes, there really are Zombies out there...
It's funny you compare the people in Wally World to zombies. When I think of zombies, I think of people with who yell out, "braaaaaaains", and shuffle towards you, slowly.

When I go to Wally World, the few times that I've been there, I see people acting like crazed animals, climbing shelves, (yes, I've witnessed that, it stopped me dead in my tracks on my very first visit to Wally World, I was still at the front, scanning, to see where everything was located, and I saw people with overflowing carts, and yes, people climbing shelves....I was so disgusted, I wanted to flee from the sheer gluttony I witnessed).

I understand, to a point, why people say the zombie apocalypse, but it never made sense to me. If shtf, I think people would be acting insane, flinging themselves all over the place like lunatics, not shuffling zombies.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Go watch The Walking Dead on AMC then you'll know what everyone is talking about.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
Whenever anyone uses the term "zombie apocalypse" in reference to a serious discussion they want to have about a public emergency scenario, I know that I'm talking to an extremely immature person who has lost his or her grip on reality.

I also think that some people who consider themselves well prepared refer to the general public that they consider "zombies". It's mildly concerning, since a "zombie" is a being that you don't have to feel bad about if you have to shoot them. I could see this being a method that some people could use to dehumanize other people and therefore justify some pretty awful treatment--at least in their fantasies.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 AM

25,724 posts, read 18,797,332 times
It can also be used in more of a political sense--a "great" "leader" of the past called them Useful Idiots.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
In most zombie fiction, zombies don't come up out of the ground. You watch too many 1970s 'zombie' flicks which are about supernaturally reanimated corpses, not 'real' zombies.

Traditional (real) zombies are living people who are essentially lobotomized by a toxic herbal preparation. Although the victim goes through a comatose period, they never actually die prior to their 'zombification'.

In most fictional works, zombies are victims of a viral or bacterial infection which takes over the motor function of the host organism after the host dies. A zombie apocalypse is the result of these infected host bodies fulfilling the biological imperative of the 'zombifying' parasite to replicate its DNA by creating more 'zombies'. It's like the flu except instead of the guy next to you on the bus coughing and sneezing, he bites your face.

This is an important distinction come the apocalypse, but I would focus on a plan for sustainable water and food collection first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness