Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan and all the necessary equipment for your area. I noted your line about a better solution, How about a collapsible game carrier?
They can haul 200 lbs +, are designed for use in rough country, and some are designed to be folded to fit on a pack frame or car trunk.

Might be an answer to your problem.

Game Carriers, Deer Carts & Deer Hauling Carts : Cabela's
MTSilvertip,

Shortly after they came out, we actually used a couple of Cabelas' carts to haul gear (chain saws, axes, shovels, gasoline, water jugs, etc.) to trail-maintenance projects in the DeSoto National Forest. Because of occasional "rough spots" we rigged them so they could be lifted and carried by two people, sort of like a stretcher. I've also used pairs of those spoked, solid-rubber-tired wheels on carts that I built for other purposes.

Even collapsed, the game carts I'm familiar with take up too much space. I'll have to look again. Thanks for the tip.

-- Nighteyes

Follow-Up:

With a few small modifications this one might work:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-226748

Last edited by Nighteyes; 11-22-2013 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 03:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching extra clothes for the type of weather you are in at that time. rain gear, emergency blanket 1-2 emergency candles, food bars x 24, water.

where I live I now keep a rifle and pistol in my truck with 400 rounds of ammo too. plus a full get up of winter weather gear.
Originally Posted by LordyLordy
You forgot the rocket launcher and the night vision goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching
I am trying to act with intelligence instead of being a smartass, why don't you do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I wasn't trying to offend you, just, I'm sorry but 400 rounds of ammo in the car? What are you planning on running into? That would be quite a gun battle
Seriously, MonkeyWrenching? You think you need 400 rounds of ammo in your car? What intelligence is that based on?

Old 12-01-2013, 02:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
extra clothes for the type of weather you are in at that time. rain gear, emergency blanket 1-2 emergency candles, food bars x 24, water.

where I live I now keep a rifle and pistol in my truck with 400 rounds of ammo too. plus a full get up of winter weather gear.
I carry many items too numerous to name. But I carry at least ten space blankets as well as two very heavy wool blankets and a pillow or two. I carry two beacons, one running from 12 volt, the other from a D-cell. Toilet paper is a must. So is a 30" breaker bar. Anyone who has ever had a frozen or jammed lug nut knows why. A complete first aid kit and prescription medications can save the day. Bring extra knives; you can never have too many. For those of us traveling in remote areas a satellite phone provides the only reliable communication.

Apart from whatever guns I have on my person I carry two S&W model 686 seven shots in my center console. They each have what I consider appropriate loads. I have ten speedloaders as well. I have an SKS in the scarce model that the factory fitted to take an AK magazine. I always have at least thirty loaded magazines. Since I don't wish to lose it I keep it well secured. I've carried a pair of Paraordnance 14-45 pistols as well. Firing one in each hand is, I believe, as effective as a SMG. I'm glad I live where my arms wouldn't even elicit a negative comment.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I carry many items too numerous to name. But I carry at least ten space blankets as well as two very heavy wool blankets and a pillow or two. I carry two beacons, one running from 12 volt, the other from a D-cell. Toilet paper is a must. So is a 30" breaker bar. Anyone who has ever had a frozen or jammed lug nut knows why. A complete first aid kit and prescription medications can save the day. Bring extra knives; you can never have too many. For those of us traveling in remote areas a satellite phone provides the only reliable communication.

Apart from whatever guns I have on my person I carry two S&W model 686 seven shots in my center console. They each have what I consider appropriate loads. I have ten speedloaders as well. I have an SKS in the scarce model that the factory fitted to take an AK magazine. I always have at least thirty loaded magazines. Since I don't wish to lose it I keep it well secured. I've carried a pair of Paraordnance 14-45 pistols as well. Firing one in each hand is, I believe, as effective as a SMG. I'm glad I live where my arms wouldn't even elicit a negative comment.
The terrible, murderous country around Cody deserves no less! That crime infested dump! If you are smart you will put all this extra weight in the back so that you don't slide, at extra 500 lbs it should help a lot! The only downside? MPG went from 20 to 12...

Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
So is a 30" breaker bar. Anyone who has ever had a frozen or jammed lug nut knows why.
I also recommend that women, or anyone with limited upper body strength, get a "T" tire iron in addition to the factory "L" tire iron and that 30" breaker. A T-iron lets you use both hands and all your body weight, or even hold it steady with one hand while you stomp the motherlover to break the nut loose. Just make sure that the T-iron fits your lug nuts (esp. if you have custom rims). Keep the L-iron handy since the bladed end is good for popping off hubcaps... and you definitely need to keep the factory L-iron if you have an underbody spare mount (most trucks & SUVs) since it forms the handle of the spindle rod that lets it down.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I also recommend that women, or anyone with limited upper body strength, get a "T" tire iron in addition to the factory "L" tire iron and that 30" breaker. A T-iron lets you use both hands and all your body weight, or even hold it steady with one hand while you stomp the motherlover to break the nut loose. Just make sure that the T-iron fits your lug nuts (esp. if you have custom rims). Keep the L-iron handy since the bladed end is good for popping off hubcaps... and you definitely need to keep the factory L-iron if you have an underbody spare mount (most trucks & SUVs) since it forms the handle of the spindle rod that lets it down.
On one occasion I couldn't break a lug nut with a ''T" iron. I did, however, break the nut by putting a 2' pipe over the end of the of the "L" iron. I still carry a spinner because it's fast but the long lever still provides the best leverage.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Originally Posted by LordyLordy
You forgot the rocket launcher and the night vision goggles!

Seriously, MonkeyWrenching? You think you need 400 rounds of ammo in your car? What intelligence is that based on?

seeing that I live out in the rural area, and that breaking down somewhere might mean I am 200 miles from home, 400 rounds really does not seem much to me.
if I was living in a suburb like I used to, my pistol and a couple of extra mags would have been just fine.

just because you or someone else might think it is excessive, I sure as hell do not.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
I know this has come up before, but it bears repeating:

In addition to your jack/spare, jumper cables, water/anti-freeze, etc. is the knowledge to use them! It never ceases to amaze me how many people, men as well as women, are incapable of changing their own tires or jumping a dead battery.

I once came out of WalMart to find a woman with a dead battery. Gathered around were three men, all of whom declared it dead. None had jumpers.
So I pulled up to her, grabbed my cables, and had her pop her hood. There ensued a long conversation about proper hook-up with the three male onlookers.
"Ma'am, this could be dangerous. Maybe one of us should do this for you."
The poor woman kept saying, "Maybe I should call Triple A..."

Good grief people, we're just jumping a car.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
So I pulled up to her, grabbed my cables, and had her pop her hood. There ensued a long conversation about proper hook-up with the three male onlookers.
"Ma'am, this could be dangerous. Maybe one of us should do this for you."
The poor woman kept saying, "Maybe I should call Triple A..."

Good grief people, we're just jumping a car.
First and foremost, your point is well-taken. Proper training -- knowing what to do and how to do it -- is paramount in any situation.

Second, the male onlooker was correct -- It CAN be hazardous to jump-start a car if you don't know what you're doing. This can, of course, be handled by ...... Tah-DAHHH! ...... proper training (and a little experience)!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
My 10 year old could jump a car.
It isn't rocket science...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness