Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Prepping would not have helped anyone affected by the typhoon. Once an area floods, all the food and supplies you have stocked up on are destroyed, washed out to sea, etc. Before Katrina hit, I stocked up on everything I would need if we lost power for a significant amount of time. None of it survived the flood.
I thought one of the rules of prepping was to store goods away from where you live just in case things like that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Prepping would not have helped anyone affected by the typhoon. Once an area floods, all the food and supplies you have stocked up on are destroyed, washed out to sea, etc. Before Katrina hit, I stocked up on everything I would need if we lost power for a significant amount of time. None of it survived the flood.
Bingo.

Problem is, these days there is an expectation that everything is survivable and should be survivable by everyone at any time.

Reality is, population densities are getting higher, population is exploding, climate is becoming more extreme. Put all these together and every storm is going to inflict damage and death. We just have to accept that.

The other factor is poverty - when people are poor as in Haiti, some south American countries or Phillipines, heck even those portions of New Orleans that got hit the hardest in Katrina, they will not live in the best quality housing and generally will not be even able to stockpile or prepare as well as someone who is in a better circumstance.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
And just like Katrina and all the other bad ones the people who stayed are crying the loudest.
With all due respect, you REALLY ought to read the research that came out after Katrina. With very few exceptions, "the people who stayed" had no means by which to evacuate - no cars, no trucks, no buses, no trains. And THEN there was the fact that New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin basically instructed people to take shelter in the Super Dome.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (a 30+ year veteran of Disaster Response along the central Gulf Coast)

Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
actually it does.

But it's things like building on piers, building sturdy (which may not of been financially possible) etc

My parents were in the area HIT. By Katrina.

Because their preps included cutting down trees likely to fall on the house, buying a House on piers, being slightly inland etc...

They lost one piece of siding.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
With all due respect, you REALLY ought to read the research that came out after Katrina. With very few exceptions, "the people who stayed" had no means by which to evacuate - no cars, no trucks, no buses, no trains. And THEN there was the fact that New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin basically instructed people to take shelter in the Super Dome.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (a 30+ year veteran of Disaster Response along the central Gulf Coast)
Actually they did.... There were busses.

They didn't want to leave, because then they wouldn't be there to collect their welfare check!!!

(a responder to Katrina in New Orleans)

Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
What I can never understand is why, when you have several days notice
of a storm coming you don't stock up on some water, canned goods, etc !
They had plenty of warning that the storm was coming yet most people seem not to have done anything to prepare.
Just like the fools in snow country that wait until they get 20" of snow and then decide to buy a snow shovel.
Wake up folks !
What were they thinking??!!

....reminds me of the girl whose mom said, always have clean underwear, be prepared...As the
Paramedics came to her ...her arm twitching 20ft away on the pavement...and she looks up at them
and says....."They were clean when I started out..."

Whatwasshethinking!?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:07 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
As with this and other disasters, I can't help but wonder why air dropping supplies is never mentioned. It's not perfect, but it seems like a good way to get supplies fast to an area inaccessible by roads.
I think heard something about the main airport in the disaster area having been destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It would seem like this would be right up the ally of this forum and unlike some of the imaginary problems there are legit issues to be discussed.

Typhoon Haiyan: Desperation triggers anarchy in storm-devastated areas - World News

Five days after the storm there are still bodies in the streets, desperate people looting for food & water, and the Philippines government can't even seem to establish order or regular relief missions even in the cities while the rural areas have had to go without any help at all. What aid is getting in seems to go exclusively to the cities while rural/outlaying areas literally haven't received any help at all.
There is a thread in the Asia forum and another in the Current Events forum with some updates about the aid that is slowly coming in.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Actually they did.... There were busses.

They didn't want to leave, because then they wouldn't be there to collect their welfare check!!!

(a responder to Katrina in New Orleans)
That's not really fair. Yes, there were buses, yes, it's true many chose not to leave, but it was because they didn't think it was going to be a big disaster. Katrina was a 3 for a long time. And the media loves to hype storms to the point that a lot of people do not take them seriously anymore. I can't even count how many times reporters would look for a puddle, any puddle, and a palm frond on the ground, and stand there and tell the world about the "devastation", when I lived in Miami. Katrina was nothing, in Miami. Wilma did some damage but nothing like Katrina did to NO and MS. But the point is, you keep hyping things up for ratings, it's not as horrid as you make it seem, and people start laughing at you. We used to always make fun of the "cone of death" during hurricane season.

Anyway, no, they didn't think it would be a major disaster and no one in that city was prepared for the levees to break....even though someone, at some point, did mention it, years earlier. But hey, the leaders of that city and state thought that costs a lot of money so, meh, we'll just go on because it probably won't happen.

Oops.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
MT, I agree that getting out the way would have been preferable and the first course of action but check out the size of this storm to see how hard getting out the way could have been. Note, the storm size is to scale and placed over a map of the US. This is why it was called a super storm.

If you were in OK City you would have had to get to San Francisco or New York to get away from the storm. Just FYI.
That's a nice pic and it shows the scale, but you would never get a superstorm that far inland, it's too far from it's power source (the Ocean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The Philipines is a country that is made up of hundreds of ISLANDS, in the middle of a Ocean ?

Just exactly WHERE would you suggest running TO ? On a island there is no "inland " place to hide from the weather. It is not California.
A few miles from the ocean, that would need an island about 6 miles wide in all directions, sure on small islands it's an issue, but the Philippines isn't a collection of teeny, tiny islands, there are some pretty big ones too. If you do live on a teeny, tiny island that is at or near sea level, getting inundated by the sea is a distinct possibility, and you should plan for that event. If you live in say Australia (which is an island) it's pretty easy to get a few miles from the coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Bingo.

Problem is, these days there is an expectation that everything is survivable and should be survivable by everyone at any time.
By whom? Who has this expectation precisely?

I certainly don't think that in any and all cases all events are survivable, but that doesn't mean that I won't try to improve my chances anyway (death being a permanent condition). The only guarantee is that without planning or preparation if you do have any event, then your chances of success are significantly less than if you had a plan for that event (or something similar, or something generic) and even some rudimentary preparation, if you don't try, you will not succeed.

It's like the old joke about the woman who's praying to god for a winning lottery ticket to help her get away from her abusive alcoholic husband, time goes on and nothing happens, she loses her job, they're evicted, and living on the street, and she prays for a winning lottery ticket again, nothing happens, it's turning towards winter and nights are getting colder, she prays a third time, then she hears a distant voice saying "you know, you have got to help me out here, buy a ticket."

Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post

Regards,

Wow Nighteyes thanks for straightening me out on that, it never occurred to me they had no means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness