Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 AM

346 posts, read 786,976 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good brand of power inverter?
I'm looking for something that could handle my well as well as some household appliances.

Thanks in advance,
CS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,409,120 times
CS

I can't recommend an inverter as the ones I have aren't big enough to handle that amount of power.

Out of curiosity, why an inverter as opposed to a generator?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,276,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Can anyone recommend a good brand of power inverter?
I'm looking for something that could handle my well as well as some household appliances.

Thanks in advance,
CS
Xantrex. Be sure to figure the max load you will be drawing to make sure you get one big enough. Are you running off a battery bank, or what?

Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
CS

I can't recommend an inverter as the ones I have aren't big enough to handle that amount of power.

Out of curiosity, why an inverter as opposed to a generator?
I have a generator, but someone gave me a wind turbine new in the box
I haven't opened it yet, but I'll need something to convert the dc back to ac once I install it
The generator burns about 5 gallons every 12 hours. That gets expensive after a few days.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,593,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
I have a generator, but someone gave me a wind turbine new in the box
I haven't opened it yet, but I'll need something to convert the dc back to ac once I install it
The generator burns about 5 gallons every 12 hours. That gets expensive after a few days.
Why don't you look at a battery pack?

Use your generator every few days to charge the batteries and just run off of the pack. Have 2 packs and be using one while you charge the other.

Same system as is required for a wind generator system, without the turbine. It would save you fuel and yet you would have a dependable source of power no matter if the wind blows or not.

It's basically the same system that is already designed for solar and wind as you have to have a generator backup anyways for long periods of clouds or calm, just cut out the expensive part of the system.
As you already have the turbine, you could set up the rest of the system and be operating, and then tie in the wind turbine as you can afford it or when you want to.

Just a suggestion.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Xantrex. Be sure to figure the max load you will be drawing to make sure you get one big enough. Are you running off a battery bank, or what?
We've had no problems with our Xantrex after 3 years or so.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,276,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Why don't you look at a battery pack?

Use your generator every few days to charge the batteries and just run off of the pack. Have 2 packs and be using one while you charge the other.

Same system as is required for a wind generator system, without the turbine. It would save you fuel and yet you would have a dependable source of power no matter if the wind blows or not.

It's basically the same system that is already designed for solar and wind as you have to have a generator backup anyways for long periods of clouds or calm, just cut out the expensive part of the system.
As you already have the turbine, you could set up the rest of the system and be operating, and then tie in the wind turbine as you can afford it or when you want to.

Just a suggestion.
A free wind turbine charging that battery bank will negate the use of the generator to charge the bank except in long stretches of calm weather, and he can still use the genny in a pinch to charge up if needed. A battery bank is a definite need, though. I doubt the turbine itself will generate enough power to be useful in a non-storage capacity. Most of them are not an efficient way of producing power except in the most windy areas of the country. Most of the folks I know who are generating their own power tell me that the wind turbine is the least productive part of their system. Most are running a solar/generator setup, with the wind turbine as a minor producer.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 PM

I know about having battery banks, I was looking for an inverter to convert dc to ac.

It's been answered (Xantrex), thanks everyone!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Outback also makes good inverters.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,649,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Outback also makes good inverters.
No rules, just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness