Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, it is your contention that NASA not only isn't interested in reality but also put blatant lies on their website.

Are you telling us that NASA is lying?

NASA - The Day the Sun Brought Darkness
Who worries about reality? Silly things like solar flares and hurricanes and riots would never effect us, the government has everything under control........

Much more fun to ignore actual events just so you can flame beliefs you don't agree with or don't match your political agenda.

Good post Pedro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Thank you MTS.

And one other thing for Think4Yourself, according to NASA ( A Super Solar Flare - NASA Science ) the flare responsible for the Carrington Event (the one that actually caused papers at telegraph stations to catch fire due to the sparks being thrown out) "dwarfed" the flare of 1989 which put millions in the dark and destroyed power grid step up transformers like the one below (notice the burned-out and blown-out debris that was the internal components):

Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
I liked the book enough that I actually visited the town and found many of the locations mentioned in the book. It was an interesting experience but rather chilling if you know what I mean.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:22 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
So, it is your contention that NASA not only isn't interested in reality but also put blatant lies on their website.

Are you telling us that NASA is lying?

NASA - The Day the Sun Brought Darkness
Wow, you sure do have a vivid imagination. Care to quote anyone saying anything even remotely like that? How about we confine ourselves to what people actually wrote and not what you wished they wrote or what you imagined it would have been nice for them to have written.

Of course, solar flares happen, my conjecture loving and fallacy ladened friend. Even when really giant ones happen though all we get is highly localized effects over a very limited area and certainly not the world killing "end of civilization" nonsense which people here seem to hold as gospel. Having a few weeks of emergency readiness supplies is more than sufficient for something like what actually does happen where as the claim that people need half a decade of supplies to survive and must be located in BFE is just plain nonsense without even the slightest shred of reality to it. We just had three of the largest solar flared ever recorded, near the theoretical maximums, including one direct hit, and the result was... Nothing. At least nothing major and certainly not the wet dream fantasy so many people here laughably declare to be real and set to happen at any second.

Look, I understand your disappointment and anger at your fondest held fantasy being crushed, after all many "preppers" have made some extremely foolish life decisions based upon the hope or fear (more hope really at least judging by the endless self satisfied posts on forums like this) that somehow it will all come real and they'll finally be proven right instead of the loser most people have called them all of their lives. So, yes, I can understand your disappointment and anger but that doesn't change the facts, son, and you can either start living with those facts and adjusting your actions to fit reality or you can keep pretending you're Don Quixote tilting at windmills. The choice is yours.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Wow, you sure do have a vivid imagination. Care to quote anyone saying anything even remotely like that? How about we confine ourselves to what people actually wrote and not what you wished they wrote or what you imagined it would have been nice for them to have written.

Of course, solar flares happen, my conjecture loving and fallacy ladened friend. Even when really giant ones happen though all we get is highly localized effects over a very limited area and certainly not the world killing "end of civilization" nonsense which people here seem to hold as gospel. Having a few weeks of emergency readiness supplies is more than sufficient for something like what actually does happen where as the claim that people need half a decade of supplies to survive and must be located in BFE is just plain nonsense without even the slightest shred of reality to it. We just had three of the largest solar flared ever recorded, near the theoretical maximums, including one direct hit, and the result was... Nothing. At least nothing major and certainly not the wet dream fantasy so many people here laughably declare to be real and set to happen at any second.

Look, I understand your disappointment and anger at your fondest held fantasy being crushed, after all many "preppers" have made some extremely foolish life decisions based upon the hope or fear (more hope really at least judging by the endless self satisfied posts on forums like this) that somehow it will all come real and they'll finally be proven right instead of the loser most people have called them all of their lives. So, yes, I can understand your disappointment and anger but that doesn't change the facts, son, and you can either start living with those facts and adjusting your actions to fit reality or you can keep pretending you're Don Quixote tilting at windmills. The choice is yours.
Does your anger stop your ability to comprehend?

NASA specifically discusses a situation that took out a power grid and left millions in the dark. I don't know, maybe English isn't your first language and your internet translator garbled the content on that link I posted.

It is a FACT that solar flares can take out electric grids. It's a fact that many flares throughout history have been significantly stronger. At least this is what NASA believes, but you might still consider them liars.

Everybody who has read this thread can see what is going on.

I made a post saying I felt that our chances of the grid going down from a solar flare is greater than an enemy attack.

Quote:
Actually, in terms of an electric grid loss, I'm much more concerned (as in think the possibility is greater) about a solar event than an enemy attack.

It's nothing I obsess over and I rarely keep track of what is going on.
You countered by stating that nothing of consequence happens when solar flares occur.

Quote:
Just this year we had three of the highest class of solar flares (some of the largest on record), including one direct hit, and nothing of consequence happened. Just FYI for people interested in reality.
I then posted a link and the entire article from NASA PROVING that you were wrong and a picture of destroyed grid equipment followed by NASA information stating that there have been much worse flares in the past.

Now, you are embarrassed because I pointed out your ignorance and you began lashing out.

I'm reminded of a favorite quote, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/17/us...blow.html?_r=0

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The electric grid, as government and private experts describe it, is the glass jaw of American industry. If an adversary lands a knockout blow, they fear, it could black out vast areas of the continent for weeks; interrupt supplies of water, gasoline, diesel fuel and fresh food; shut down communications; and create disruptions of a scale that was only hinted at by Hurricane Sandy and the attacks of Sept. 11.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 PM

http://www.lloyds.com/~/media/lloyds...ric%20grid.pdf

Wow, a report from Lloyds stating that a solar flare is capable of taking our our grid for months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...or-months.html

Quote:
The study, a joint venture from researchers at Lloyd's of London and Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) in the United States, details a dystopian scenario where a shortage of electrical transformers would leave Western nations without electricity for months because of the time needed to build replacements

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 12-05-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Weather.com has a story( Solar Storm Could Knock Out U.S. Power - weather.com ) which quotes a report from the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, or NERC, which oversees North America's power grid, which says,

Quote:
Historically large storms have a potential to cause power grid blackouts and transformer damage of unprecedented proportions, long-term blackouts and lengthy restoration times, and chronic shortages for multiple years are possible.
The Weather.com article says,

Quote:
Some U.S. experts estimate as much as a 7 percent chance of a superstorm in the next decade, which seems a slight risk, but the effects would be so wide-ranging -- akin to a major meteorite strike -- that it has drawn official concern.

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 12-05-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/sc...lar-storm.html

Quote:
Others are more pessimistic. They worry that a huge and well-aimed eruption from the Sun would cause not only the lights to go out, but would also damage transformers and other critical components of the grid.

Some places could be without power for months, and “chronic shortages for multiple years are possible,” according to the National Research Council, the research arm of the National Academy of Sciences

Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM

So let's see here, we have NASA, Lloyds, AER, the National Research Council and NERC all saying that a very large solar flare could take out a large chunk of the grid from weeks to months with some areas having limited power for over a year.

Now, Think4Yourself, what were you saying again?

Oh, that's right, it's your opinion that they are all idiots.

Quote:
We just had three of the largest solar flared ever recorded, near the theoretical maximums, including one direct hit, and the result was... Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness