Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times

Advertisements

I got offered a job in Ontario, Ca.

I have the job interview in May. I am going to stay at my aunts the weekend of the interview.

I am a bit nervous. I am kind at the crossroads of my life. Too much abuse and problems with my parents and siblings, so I figured after college I need to leave them with their problems. My dad is the type who talks **** about me to his psychologist and to his friends, but puts on a christian smile at church. It disgusts me cuz only if people knew his true colors. My sister is 33 and lives off my parents (she is unemployed and owns a condo, but parents pay her bills) and my brother is severely autistic and lives in a group home, but is here for the holidays. My mother doesn't stick up to my dad because she is an enabler.

Anyways, my aunt lives in Orange County. She always invites me over once in a while and for like holidays and stuff she invites me. My aunt pushed me to do good in college and because of my aunt I have the grades for grad school or the option to work right out of college. At this company, my 2 older cousins and my aunt's husband work there. But all 3 work at different locations. My aunt and her husband are Christian, and I am more of a liberal christian.

Base pay would be $40,000 a year plus commission. I don't have money for first month rent out, so I am thinking of a small loan or living out of my car for the first month.

I have only lived on my own once when I was a freshmen in college in Los Angeles.

I am coming to this boards for support and encouragement because I don't have any one supporting me except some college friends.

I feel this will finally be a wake up call for my parents that if my dad splits from our family and my mom is stuck with 2 adult children she can't handle they will realize that they took for granite such a great person they had to help, but they blew that opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
I am not sure that this thread should be in the SSP forum.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am not sure that this thread should be in the SSP forum.
So moving out, I have a cat. I will need a room mate. I need tips on getting to bed on time. where does one find a room mate?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:06 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Sounds like you should place you post in the local area sub forum under the California state forum. There isn't much discussion of finding a roommate in California on this forum.

This is the Self Sufficency/Preparedness forum, so unless you need a recipe for making stir fry cat or cat stew, kind of out of the nature of this forum.
If you are asking about living out of your car, or gathering wild edibles, that would be more in line with what is discussed here.

You might try the relationship forums as well if you want moral support.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sounds like you should place you post in the local area sub forum under the California state forum. There isn't much discussion of finding a roommate in California on this forum.

This is the Self Sufficency/Preparedness forum, so unless you need a recipe for making stir fry cat or cat stew, kind of out of the nature of this forum.
If you are asking about living out of your car, or gathering wild edibles, that would be more in line with what is discussed here.

You might try the relationship forums as well if you want moral support.

Good luck.
living out of my car for the first month is something i am considering for the first month's rent. that or get a small loan.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 PM

25,774 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
... so unless you need a recipe for making stir fry cat or cat stew ...
Wait a minute. You didn't specify if the cat meat you are using in your stew and stir fry is genitally modified--I mean GENETICALLY modified, contains a nasty antibiotic aftertaste, was raised in a horrifying corporate catyard, or was corn-fed. Hell, you didn't even specify whether those cats were force-fed high-fructose corn syrup via Monsanto's evil plot to give each man, woman, and child in 'merica dental caries, thus ruining their lovely smiles.

And you expect anyone here to eat your cat stew?

()

Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I feel this will finally be a wake up call for my parents that if my dad splits from our family and my mom is stuck with 2 adult children she can't handle they will realize that they took for granite such a great person they had to help, but they blew that opportunity.

Well. other than the fact that you have a little ego problem that you need to work on....

Getting away from a toxic family is often a good plan for a young person. It gives them room to straighten themselves out. I don't know if getting away from your family by moving in with other members of the same family is going to work, but I don't know anyone involved.

Job interview not until May? That is odd.

Your parents are already fully supporting 2 siblings. Maybe they would give you the money for your first month's rent so you don't have to live in your car.

Personally, I find it sad that someone with a college education is mistaken for "granite"

You have posted in the wrong forum for your problem. Try the non-romantic relationship forum (there are 2 different relationship forums) or perhaps the psychology forum.

And don't eat the cat. The cat is worth more as vermin control than as a meal.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:01 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
I got offered a job in Ontario, Ca.

I have the job interview in May. I am going to stay at my aunts the weekend of the interview.

I am a bit nervous. I am kind at the crossroads of my life. Too much abuse and problems with my parents and siblings, so I figured after college I need to leave them with their problems. My dad is the type who talks **** about me to his psychologist and to his friends, but puts on a christian smile at church. It disgusts me cuz only if people knew his true colors. My sister is 33 and lives off my parents (she is unemployed and owns a condo, but parents pay her bills) and my brother is severely autistic and lives in a group home, but is here for the holidays. My mother doesn't stick up to my dad because she is an enabler.

Anyways, my aunt lives in Orange County. She always invites me over once in a while and for like holidays and stuff she invites me. My aunt pushed me to do good in college and because of my aunt I have the grades for grad school or the option to work right out of college. At this company, my 2 older cousins and my aunt's husband work there. But all 3 work at different locations. My aunt and her husband are Christian, and I am more of a liberal christian.

Base pay would be $40,000 a year plus commission. I don't have money for first month rent out, so I am thinking of a small loan or living out of my car for the first month.

I have only lived on my own once when I was a freshmen in college in Los Angeles.

I am coming to this boards for support and encouragement because I don't have any one supporting me except some college friends.

You can live frugally in the Inland Empire on $40k though it will be tight and you'll have to learn to budget and set priorities. I would suggest renting a room off of craigslist to start, visit the greater LA subforum here to get more detailed advice about areas to live, and then take the leap. You have the job and that's the biggest hurdle so now you need to stop worrying about your parents and start living your life like every other adult. Sure, it's scary but you'll learn quickly and probably will be much happier as a result.

Best of luck.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
So moving out, I have a cat. I will need a room mate. I need tips on getting to bed on time. where does one find a room mate?
Craigslist has listings in Ontario for both rooms for rent, room mates wanted, and other such stuff.

inland empire rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You can live frugally in the Inland Empire on $40k though it will be tight and you'll have to learn to budget and set priorities. I would suggest renting a room off of craigslist to start, visit the greater LA subforum here to get more detailed advice about areas to live, and then take the leap. You have the job and that's the biggest hurdle so now you need to stop worrying about your parents and start living your life like every other adult. Sure, it's scary but you'll learn quickly and probably will be much happier as a result.

Best of luck.
Yeah, I am thinking of taking a small loan for the first month rent. I really don't want my parent's help once college is done. My cat is 15 yrs old. She is family to me. I don't think she'd like living in a car with me. And my parents don't ever feed or help her when I'm gone to school, so Im not leaving her with them. I have an aunt who I get along with that lives in the Mission Viejo area. So I'm looking to maybe a place in Corona to rent.

I used to live in so cal when I was really young and also when I was 18 for 6 months after high school. I've visited several times with my parents and have made friends in college from So Cal. It's more familiar to me than Nor Cal.

When I was 18 I faced all sorts of life challenges and got around by public transit even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness