Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Blizzard, frigid temps and foot of snow ready to wallop Northeast - CNN.com

I wonder if these folks have any supplies after Sandy hit them.

Did they learn or will they continue to hope someone else will take care of them

Maybe some crazed wild eyed unrealistic preppers will supply them all with food and water and heat.......
Well, I live in the Northeast and wasn't impacted by Sandy. This blizzard, however, did hit me pretty good. We're now left with negative temperatures from it.

If you're talking about the people in NYC who were directly impacted by Sandy, then the answer is probably no they don't have any supplies. It's not that they were expecting people to take care of them. But New Yorkers, in general, do look out for each other. When 9/11 happened, many walked together home. Many spoke to complete and utter strangers that day. Unless you're a New Yorker, you wouldn't understand.

As for NYC folks stock piling it's unrealistic. What is an apartment in NYC is literally a closet everywhere else in the country. Food is also very expensive in NYC. They don't have WalMart supercenters to shop at and buy 20 rolls of paper towels. Most people rely on mass transit and you wouldn't be able to bring a shopping cart from BJ's on the subway or bus with you.

Hurricane Sandy was devastating. Whenever a hurricane hits ANYWHERE in the US, it's devastating. That hurricane happened to land on a city of 10 million residents. That 10 million doesn't include the folks in New Jersey or the folks outside of the 5 Boroughs who were hit as well. Every time a hurricane hits, help is needed. When the Outer Banks gets hit and the road it wiped out which has happened numerous times, the road is rebuilt. People HELP each other! When the Mississippi floods, people are helped. When Joplin was destroyed, people showed up to help. People are still showing up to help them rebuild. New Orleans is STILL rebuilding from Katrina and Rita years later.

To abandon your fellow man because they aren't as prepared as you is selfish. There are things you cannot prepare for. If the folks in Joplin or New Orleans had stockpiled, it wouldn't have mattered. Those cans of beans would be down the bayou and in the next subdivision. Just hope you're never on the end that needs help. Mother Nature can destroy your life in a split second. One minute your spouse or child could be holding onto your hand for dear life and a split second later they can be gone because of a tornado going over your home. You won't give a rat's behind about stockpiling then because it won't help you. You WILL be looking for HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Don't believe most of what the media tells you. They write stories to sensationalize crap to sell papers and get website hits for their advertisers. Very rarely are any of the writers actually where the "story" is taking place. Since CNN is located in downtown Atlanta, I highly doubt many of their reporters were sent to Buffalo, NYC, Boston, Albany, and Cape Cod to check out the weather and it's impact. I, too, can read the press release from the governor's office and write an article that makes it sounds like the world is coming to an end.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Thanks for the advice. I suppose I will look into contingency cookware....I just hate the idea of storing stuff I don't ever use, I've been for the last several months getting rid of mounds of stuff I don't use or wouldn't use, even in a disaster scenario, I figure a small charcoal grill is something I'd have anyways, due to barbecues, and in a disaster, I could easily use it in the back yard or in the driveway. (i have an apt with a driveway and garage now, soon to be a house this year hopefully)
I never meant I would use it for heat, but rather just for cooking.

So my thought process was that in a regular disaster, I'd have enough charcoal for cooking up to a week's worth of meat.
In a SHTF, after running out of charcoal, I could put wood, leaves, straw, pine, or whatever else and use it that way, which would make it easy due to it's round shape, and smaller ones aren't too bad in terms of transporting.

And I was looking online, I guess that regular pots and pans shouldn't be used on these grills, because of their non-stick coating and such are not good for the higher temps. Perhaps best to use a dutch oven when cooking over a fire...

Or if I had a gas stove at home, I suppose it can be ignited with a lighter or a match...

I also searched on using alcohol for cooking and I can home make an alcohol burner!
Beverage-can stove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also found this propane cooker
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Soo...to clarify, propane and alcohol are safe for non-stick pots and cook quicker, whereas a grill will take longer to cook and is unsafe for non-stick pots??

Can anyone confirm?

Do NOT EVER use charcoal or propane grills indoors! They kick out a ton of carbon monoxide and you could end up in a coma or dead. We see news stories about people who do this in the Northeast every year. And the people are almost always dead.

Also do not use them in a garage unless you have the door open and nothing flammable is within at least 10 feet of the thing. And do not ever leave it alone - hot coals can spill over and burn your house down. Again another thing you see on the local news almost every year.

There are propane heaters that are rated for indoor use. You have to find something that is rated for indoor use. Most things aren't because of the carbon monoxide. You're better off getting the thermal rated sleeping bags. The really good ones that are rated for negative temperatures. Keep plenty of warm blankets in the house. Clothes you can layer. Layering actually keeps you warmer. Stock up on thermal underwear. It's not sexy, but neither are frozen dead people. Real warm socks. Not those cheap crap things you get at WalMart. Something that would be from CarHart or along those lines. You can also wear layers of socks just make sure they're not too tight and cutting off your circulation. Mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves. You can actually wear knit gloves under mittens and keep warmer.

There's lots you can do that doesn't require a fuel source. When in doubt, the American Red Cross ALWAYS has shelters open during emergencies. It's always a good idea to keep their local number in your cell phone. Keep your cell phone charge whenever nasty weather is about. Get a car charger if you have a car. Keep a full tank of gas when nasty weather is coming.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I think part of being prepared includes finding a reputable source for news. The national media is not trustworthy. How do I know this? Because here I am in Rhode Island - one of the areas predicted to be hardest hit - and not much is happening. All day we've had a dusting of snow. Still nothing more right now.
The radio is full of scare-mongering; I don't know about TV because we no longer watch it, or even have one.
This is just a 'middling', nuisance winter storm.

Where do people get the idea that New Englanders all live in NYC? That's not even in New England! There are no tiny apartments hereabouts. This will be over tomorrow, and soon forgotten.

Report from your "man on the scene" - Dave
Besides, New Englanders are always prepared! You deal with weather year round. Snow is a piece of cake. It's the nasty ice storms that really suck. Last February, I was in Providence during a snow storm. Tv reports sounded the like world was ending. By 9 am the next morning, the roads were all cleared and the folks of Providence were back on the roads going about life like nothing happened. They all said it was just snow. I'm from Upstate NY and snow is a breeze. The ice is what's bad and worries us. No ice with this storm....just wicked freaking cold!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I had to make a trip into the city to get feed, while I was gone our pigs noticed that they could easily walk over their electric-fence without touching the wires.

They went for a nice stroll, a mile up the road and back again. They could not find any good forage, so they came home again. [Roads here do not get any salt. A bit of sand is put down each time the plow trucks go by scrapping to keep the ice smooth. Winter is the best time for the roads, it fills in the potholes, so the roads are now smooth] When you approach a 500 pound boar, you best drive by him slowly. Otherwise you might get a wicked dent in your car.

I love how the pigs came home! They're better behaved than the teenagers I see at Walmart and the mall.

The Adirondacks do the same thing with roads except the major state roads. The major state roads and plowed and salted/sanded. The side roads are slightly plowed sometimes and sanded. It's amazing how much that sand actually helps. Compacted snow/ice/the crust mix doesn't really melt with salt especially when it's cold and by cold I mean teens and below.

And you're right. Some roads are far better to drive on in the winter. Pot hole problems are fixed!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I live in an area that does not get hurricanes, does not get tornadoes, we rarely if ever get snow - what am I preparing for? Impending economic collapse? Zombie attacks?
Hey be sure to take lots of photos of the zombie attack and share them on here with us. We might recognize a few of our Congressslackers.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
OK - so, why not provide some practical advice for someone in the area? We can start with the basics: buy water and food that will not need a fridge to store (although it you lose power with the outside temps, who needs a fridge? ). Some flashlights. A camping propane stove and a few small bottles of propane?

How about keeping warm in case there is no electricity and you live in a building and the building happens not to have a generator? Blankets, warm clothes, what else?
A small propane catalytic heater will heat a fair sized space. A large propane catalytic heater will heat an automotive shop. A goodsleeping bag will keep you toasty warm all night long no matter how cold it is. I have slept at 20 below in a frozen up truck cab in perfect comfort. A single burner propane hot plate will let you make coffee or heat a pan of soup.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
As for NYC folks stock piling it's unrealistic. What is an apartment in NYC is literally a closet everywhere else in the country. Food is also very expensive in NYC. They don't have WalMart supercenters to shop at and buy 20 rolls of paper towels. Most people rely on mass transit and you wouldn't be able to bring a shopping cart from BJ's on the subway or bus with you.
While NYC apartments may now be getting smaller, they are required to be at least 400 square feet. More than enough room to stock 1-2 weeks worth of food.
NYC Apartments To Get Smaller In Size, Bloomberg Asks For 'Micro-Apartments'
NYC Rent Guidelines Board

My 60+ year old mom takes mass transit and has plenty of food at home. Her condo is around 700 sq feet or less. 1 week of food is not out of the question to fit even in a 300 Sq Foot apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do NOT EVER use charcoal or propane grills indoors! They kick out a ton of carbon monoxide and you could end up in a coma or dead. We see news stories about people who do this in the Northeast every year. And the people are almost always dead.

Also do not use them in a garage unless you have the door open and nothing flammable is within at least 10 feet of the thing. And do not ever leave it alone - hot coals can spill over and burn your house down. Again another thing you see on the local news almost every year.

There are propane heaters that are rated for indoor use. You have to find something that is rated for indoor use. Most things aren't because of the carbon monoxide.

There's lots you can do that doesn't require a fuel source. When in doubt, the American Red Cross ALWAYS has shelters open during emergencies. It's always a good idea to keep their local number in your cell phone. Keep your cell phone charge whenever nasty weather is about. Get a car charger if you have a car. Keep a full tank of gas when nasty weather is coming.
Why are you the second person telling me not to use a grill or cooker inside when I made no mention of doing that? Yet avoid clear questions I asked. Don't know how to help me, so you lecture me on something else?
I am planning on using them for cooking and strictly for cooking, not for heating up a home. I am used to cold conditions as low as -15F and I'm proficient in keeping myself warm. I'm mainly concerned about other things, but specifically in this previous post, food.

Also, you're the second person to mention that propane and alcohol cookers also give off carbon monoxide, so in comparison to a charcoal grill, they are even in that respect. The benefit of a grill (in my mind) is that they are bowl shaped, so in an extreme situation (maybe extended supply-drought or shtf), I can use it to start a wood fire. I mean alcohol and propane are fine, but the fuel will run out eventually. And looking at pictures of propane cookers and alcohol burners online, they aren't good for using as a portable firepit like a small charcoal grill would be.
Quote:
You're better off getting the thermal rated sleeping bags. The really good ones that are rated for negative temperatures. Keep plenty of warm blankets in the house. Clothes you can layer. Layering actually keeps you warmer. Stock up on thermal underwear. It's not sexy, but neither are frozen dead people. Real warm socks. Not those cheap crap things you get at WalMart. Something that would be from CarHart or along those lines. You can also wear layers of socks just make sure they're not too tight and cutting off your circulation. Mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves. You can actually wear knit gloves under mittens and keep warmer.
Why the _ are you telling me stuff I already know? I wear thermal long pants and undershirt under my dress clothes all winter (in fact I'm at work right now with my thermals underneath and it's only 28 F outside ) and keep extra socks in my car. I have big jackets, more socks than I need, and blankets enough for 6 people being used by 2.

I do need sleeping bags though! But it's not that high on my list at this point .

QUESTION:

In the event one has to leave their home, and power is out and security systems don't work, how would one protect their home from burglaries? Is it low on the importance scale?

I would hate to have to leave unwillingly due to a natural disaster, only to come home and my stuff is gone!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/hurricane-sandy-crime

Thoughts?

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 01-03-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
While NYC apartments may now be getting smaller, they are required to be at least 400 square feet. More than enough room to stock 1-2 weeks worth of food.
NYC Apartments To Get Smaller In Size, Bloomberg Asks For 'Micro-Apartments'
NYC Rent Guidelines Board

My 60+ year old mom takes mass transit and has plenty of food at home. Her condo is around 700 sq feet or less. 1 week of food is not out of the question to fit even in a 300 Sq Foot apartment

Why are you the second person telling me not to use a grill or cooker inside when I made no mention of doing that? Yet avoid clear questions I asked. Don't know how to help me, so you lecture me on something else?
I am planning on using them for cooking and strictly for cooking, not for heating up a home. I am used to cold conditions as low as -15F and I'm proficient in keeping myself warm. I'm mainly concerned about other things, but specifically in this previous post, food.

Also, you're the second person to mention that propane and alcohol cookers also give off carbon monoxide, so in comparison to a charcoal grill, they are even in that respect. The benefit of a grill (in my mind) is that they are bowl shaped, so in an extreme situation (maybe extended supply-drought or shtf), I can use it to start a wood fire. I mean alcohol and propane are fine, but the fuel will run out eventually. And looking at pictures of propane cookers and alcohol burners online, they aren't good for using as a portable firepit like a small charcoal grill would be.

Why the _ are you telling me stuff I already know? I wear thermal long pants and undershirt under my dress clothes all winter (in fact I'm at work right now with my thermals underneath and it's only 28 F ) and keep extra socks in my car. I have big jackets, more socks than I need, and blankets enough for 6 people being used by 2.
I do need sleeping bags though.
A 700 square foot condo is almost twice as large as a 400 square foot apartment. There are apartments in NYC under 400 square feet. Just because there's a law doesn't mean it's followed or was always the way of the land. A week's worth of food is one thing, but when people talk about prepping, they are stockpiling for months. And in many parts of NY and NJ after Sandy they didn't have power for weeks and months.

Why mention not to use a grill indoors? Clearly you don't read the newspaper in the Northeast or watch our local news! Every single winter several people DIE from either cooking on a grill indoors or using a fueled space heater. Carbon monoxide kills them.

Above you didn't mention where you would use a grill. You just said you would use it. You were asking about cookware for a grill before, have you looked at the camping section at Walmart, Dick's, LL Bean, Bass Pro Shop, or Cabela's? They sell items that can be used on a campfire and a grill.

A grill can burn wood, but again you can't do that indoors. You should only burn wood in a woodburning fireplace or woodstove. And yes I specifically said woodburning because it's not safe to do this with a gas fireplace or gas woodstove.

How would I know you know about thermal underwear and are wearing them right now? I don't know you and I'm not with you to see what you're wearing! You want to be prepared to be warm. I'm giving you suggestions. I've spent a great deal of time in the Adirondacks in summer and winter. Weather there can suck and be freaking cold. It's not Montana, but it's cold in the winter.

There are different ratings for sleeping bags. I wouldn't get one at Walmart. I'd go to a really camping place or even a Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's. You want something that can actually keep you warm when it's 20 below. You may never need it, but it is something to keep on hand.

Oh there's those gel packs you can buy by the case at Lowe's and Home Depot. I imagine they are sold other places as well. You snap them and they heat up your hands or feet. I've seen 2 different types sold and one goes into your boots and one is designed for gloves.

Oh and if you do get a heater that is rated for indoors, consider getting some stoneware trivets. My mother used to line them up on the heater during power outages and wrap towels around them and put them under our feet in our sleeping bags. Helped keep your feet warm and warm you up.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:

QUESTION:

In the event one has to leave their home, and power is out and security systems don't work, how would one protect their home from burglaries? Is it low on the importance scale?

I would hate to have to leave unwillingly due to a natural disaster, only to come home and my stuff is gone!

Hurricane Sandy Crime

Thoughts?

Don't you have locks on your doors? That's what most people rely on every day. A security system doesn't prevent burglaries. It may deter some, but it doesn't for many.

And if a tornado hits, your stuff will be spread all over the neighborhood....no security system needed! If your house is in a flood, no one is breaking in and your stuff is destroyed anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness