Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Did you look up East Anglia?
Yeah, but I'm not seeing what a region of Britain has to do with your confusion about global warming and movie release dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Yep. I've always understood global warming, climate change, geological cyclic weather patterns, whatever it's called today, the way it'sMeFred has stated. Raised global temperatures causing ice melt in the polar regions, releasing fresh water changing the sea salinity which changes the way the oceanic currents work possibly triggering an ice age.

Either way this discussion has only a very marginal relationship with the thread of propane shortage which is regional of course but for those caught in it, they have a real problem as this cold cycle refuses to break.

Typed in my fuzzy mohair freezing my butt in my house this morning.
......"the propane shortage which is regional of course".....

I don't call it regional when it is affecting both me here in Arkansas and my son on his dairy farm in Minnesota 870 miles away. Plus many posters chiming in from different areas of the US.

Also, it has made the nightly network news.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:58 PM

565 posts, read 935,391 times
Ordered propane today for our 120 gallon tank. Its at 20% right now and was $151 to fill up to 80%.
Was 110 for same amount 35 days ago. Although I still paid more to fill it 3 years ago, about 215 or something.
No shortage here, price is up but they said it will delivered within a week.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Ordered propane today for our 120 gallon tank. Its at 20% right now and was $151 to fill up to 80%.
Was 110 for same amount 35 days ago. Although I still paid more to fill it 3 years ago, about 215 or something.
No shortage here, price is up but they said it will delivered within a week.

With such a small tank , how do you know if there is a shortage in your area?

Most of the tanks in our area are 250 or 500 gallon tanks and they are now limiting the amount to 100 gallons per delivery.

With a small 120 gallon tank, you would still get 100 gallons where I live and thus you would not know that propane is being rationed in your area.

I'm not stating it is or isn't. Just asking how you could tell by your small order .

Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 PM

Doesn't sound like his price has spiked much, though...
We went from $1.67 in December, to $3.29 in early January, to over $5 in mid January, back to $3.29 this week...

Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
By regional I mean central USA, the east of the Rockies swath from the Dakotas to Texas east to Ohio. The northeast while cold doesn't seem affected by this. We agree 52, no need to pick at semantics.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Yeah, but I'm not seeing what a region of Britain has to do with your confusion about global warming and movie release dates.
This is what I'm referring to. For one who knows so much about the topic, I fail to see how this escaped your attention...unless you are simply being disingenuous:

Climate change: this is the worst scientific scandal of our generation - Telegraph

Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is what I'm referring to. For one who knows so much about the topic, I fail to see how this escaped your attention...unless you are simply being disingenuous:

Climate change: this is the worst scientific scandal of our generation - Telegraph

Excellent article.

Thank you for the link.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Nor'Eastah, I think you're inventing an argument that really isn't there...

First you say that people haven't always known that global warming could cause regional cooling (and I pointed out that only people who don't understand the basic science of meteorology don't understand that. I think that is still quite obviously true, btw).
Then you tried to say that Gore released his movie a good 10-15 years before he did.
Then you bring up "East Anglia" which turns out to be some weird reference to a study that disagrees with global warming. Well big deal, there has always been dissension. It's not some super-secret conspiracy bust.

But again, what in the world does any of this have to do with my point??

My original comment toward this little tangent:
Quote:
For many of us, this is exactly how global warming is predicted to manifest; as an ice age.
And more recently:
Quote:
Now I'm not arguing the merits of global warming, whether it is or isn't happening, or what might be causing it if it is. But we do know that global temperature changes will create deviations in the somewhat fragile systems (primarily ocean currents and jet streams) that influence the climates on the globe.
Do you have something that disproves the importance of the jet streams or ocean currents? Or perhaps something that says they aren't manipulated by changes in ocean salinity or water/atmospheric temperatures?
That's the only thing I was explaining; the basic function of the earth's climates and their heavy reliance on the currents of both the oceans and atmosphere.

Because those who decry, "Where's my global warming??" in the face of miserable cold snaps only reveal their ignorance of the elementary-level science of what creates climates in the first place...

Last edited by itsMeFred; 02-09-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Nor'Eastah, I think you're inventing an argument that really isn't there...

First you say that people haven't always known that global warming could cause regional cooling (and I pointed out that only people who don't understand the basic science of meteorology don't understand that. I think that is still quite obviously true, btw).
Then you tried to say that Gore released his movie a good 10-15 years before he did.
Then you bring up "East Anglia" which turns out to be some weird reference to a study that disagrees with global warming. Well big deal, there has always been dissension. It's not some super-secret conspiracy bust.

But again, what in the world does any of this have to do with my point??

My original comment toward this little tangent:

And more recently:

Do you have something that disproves the importance of the jet streams or ocean currents? Or perhaps something that says they aren't manipulated by changes in ocean salinity or water/atmospheric temperatures?
That's the only thing I was explaining; the basic function of the earth's climates and their heavy reliance on the currents of both the oceans and atmosphere.

Because those who decry, "Where's my global warming??" in the face of miserable cold snaps only reveal their ignorance of the elementary-level science of what creates climates in the first place...

We have been told that the effects of global warming is temps above normal and growing zones moving northward due to hotter temps.

That sure isn't evident as much of the Midwest had such a late spring (cold and snow into May ) that crops got planted very late.

Which resulted in late maturing corn ..............corn with high moisture..........extra propane needed to dry it.

Yes this thread is about.........propane shortage.......and if we were feeling the effects of global warming this ( propane shortage ) would not have materialized !

Last edited by Teddy52; 02-09-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness