Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:21 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Plans | Millenicom

Here you go. $70 for 20 gigs, no contract.

I live in an Airstream, and among full timers this is currently the best option avalable (I'm told)

Haven't used it yet, probably will when I go back to my land innthe spring to continue building (too cold for an Airstream/me at the moment)
I just checked and it looks like my part of Washington State isn't serviced...

Sounds like a good deal after comcast quoted almost 14k to run cable.

Is wireless broadband really a viable option and competitive?

Sorry for the dumb question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I just checked and it looks like my part of Washington State isn't serviced...

Sounds like a good deal after comcast quoted almost 14k to run cable.

Is wireless broadband really a viable option and competitive?

Sorry for the dumb question.
By wireless broadband you mean "line of sight wireless"? I have it as backup at home and it sucks. Good enough to check email and watch Amazon Prime most of the time (because they buffer the hell out of the stream), for the rest it is slightly better than dial-up. In most rural areas there is one provide of line in sight wireless and they get overloaded very quickly. Definitely not worth $60/month I am paying but I am getting raped because there is no competition.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
So far only dial-up and no DSL

A few years ago I spent $1500 to clear a tree path for Satellite... Tenant was going to move without better internet.

He hated Satellite and moved anyway.

Cell phone reception is almost non existent... upstairs in one of the bedrooms if standing a certain way... one bar and that's it.

I have DSL where I am... never lived in a home with Satellite or Cable or Uverse.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
We have line of sight (I think) and it has worked wonderfully so far. We had satellite at our old house and it was the worse thing ever. EVER. Luckily, our phone company (small and independent) was able to get faster and cheaper service during our time there. We ate our satellite contract fees and switched.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
I am all for semi-self sufficiency. Living like someone from a third world country isn't all that.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Does anyone have plans for living semi self sufficiently? I don't want to live a fully self sufficient lifestyle. I want electricity, want a functioning toilet, a real house. Nothing wrong with going all the way, I just know it isn't for me.

I'm 24 and have spent the last couple of years mulling things over. What do I do for a job? Do I go to college? I can't see myself doing the same exact position for years on end. I would go crazy. Hell working 40 plus years so I can then chill when in 65 sounds like a joke. I've always been into gardening since I was younger and had good sized plots when I lived with my parents. I've since then have been into making my own bread, mayonnaise, sugar, everything. There is something special about growing a pumpkin and when the season is over you can then compost the roots, stems, and leaves while saving the pumpkin seeds then using what is left for pumpkin pie.

I've dreamed of owning chickens and not having to go to the grocery store and check if eggs are broken among with 6 other people doing the same thing. Tinkering around with rain barrels....are you kidding me....sounds like fun! Growing your own stevia plant to make a sugar supplement....what could be funnier. I thrive for this stuff.

I know I will have to have a job....which I do. The goal is to save enough in expenses to end up working part time. I don't understand the "work all day, play on the weekends" culture. I want everyday to be fun and enjoyable. Being self sufficient (semi self sufficient) is fun and enjoyable to me....it is my passion. I don't get the make x amount of money and then blow most if it on a fancy car or a 3k sqf house. This feels like enslavement to me. I don't get why I work 5 out of 7 days for what seems like my whole life. I'm changing the status quo.

Were still looking for a house to start this venture. Surely people in this forum has been semi self sufficient for years compared to this beginner.
Honestly, very few folks are truly self-sufficient; most are "semis" anyway.

In my opinion, being fully (or very near fully) self-sufficient is at least two full time jobs by itself; it would be virtually impossible to do it while also working a 9-5 job.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with starting various aspects of self-sufficiency as a hobby and seeing where it takes you!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM

195 posts, read 281,443 times
I work about 30 hours a week, to draw 2ok per year in loans/grants. and I get similar sums from my Filipina and from my apartment building. $40 an hour, tax free, not so bad, for just studying. there will be another apt bldg soon, and another gal giving me money, too. Then another and another. they get a very good deal, so do the vets who marry them.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
I work about 30 hours a week, to draw 2ok per year in loans/grants. and I get similar sums from my Filipina and from my apartment building. $40 an hour, tax free, not so bad, for just studying. there will be another apt bldg soon, and another gal giving me money, too. Then another and another. they get a very good deal, so do the vets who marry them.
Self-suffiency? It's welfare.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM

195 posts, read 281,443 times
Wonder how people ever LIVED without the Net and cell phones. :-) What a laugh people are. If I couldn't get it for $20 a month, I'd just do without it. The income from the apts and my gal aint welfare, pard, and I didn't set up the loan system. So complain to those who DID. not to me. :-)

Old 03-27-2014, 10:59 AM

334 posts, read 537,341 times
Would you be interested in taking a course like this? http://www.bidwell-training.org/majo...re-technology/. This course is free for those living in the Pittsburgh area. Perhaps you could find something similar near you. The course lends itself to a number of different occupations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness