Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

In reading accounts of crossing the Great Plais in the early days we quickly learn that not all of the emigrants traveled by Conestoga wagon or even had horses or oxen. Some of the more impecunious simply pushed a handcart or a wheelbarrow. To the casual inquirer a handcart seems to be the more sensible choice. It has two wheels, can haul a heavy load while remaining stable. But it has problem in that it requires a relatively wide path of even ground, something not always available on tthe virgin plain. The wheelbarrow requires a path only as wide as its wheel but the operator must continually hold up the weight. The two items are mediocre at best.

After TEOWAWKI we may expect blocked or damaged roads or trails but still need to transport heavy loads. Neither the handcart nor the conventional wheelbarrow would be a good choice. But there is a solution: the Chinese wheelbarrow. The wheel is in the center rather than at the front. Just consider what that means. I suggest that you read the following article. I cannot find any source for either the wheelbarrows or plans. A good craftsman could easily design one, however. The Chinese do export wheelbarrows but they are of Occidental syle.

LOW-TECH MAGAZINE: How to Downsize a Transport Network: The Chinese Wheelbarrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:28 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Very interesting article, Thank you for posting it.

The only real drawback to that design I see is stability side to side. You would have to be very careful about balancing your load on one of those. As the wheel goes up through the center of the cargo area, perhaps you could even lower the center of gravity a bit to mitigate that problem.

Still, something to think about

Old 02-28-2014, 04:38 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Cool idea, thanks for posting it. I think I will likely build one, based on a dirt bike wheel or similar, when I get time. Lowering the center of gravity would seem to be an improvement at first glance, but might create more problems than it solves if not done right. For instance, if the cart body sits too low, the decreased ground clearance could hurt performance, especially in areas with small boulders or other debris fields. And then there is the issue of mechanics, as in how it works in conjunction with the operator. Being balanced as it is, putting the handles too low or too high might cause its own issues. For sure, load balancing will be paramount. I may design the prototype in a modular fashion in order to try different settings to determine peak efficiency for my own use and to make it adjustable for other users, as well.

I will definitely have to make sure to use "normal" materials, I wouldn't want to be accused of building a tactical wheelbarrow, or anything...

Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Gun kid & his tactical wheelbarrow.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+...al+wheelbarrow

This guy "Gun kid" is a legend (in his own mind) and a very infamous survivalist internet troll/scumbag. (John Melvin Davis- convicted felon) Everyone that is into survival forums has heard this guys "handle".

One of his ideas was a "tactical wheelbarrow".

Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Gun kid & his tactical wheelbarrow.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+...al+wheelbarrow

This guy "Gun kid" is a legend (in his own mind) and a very infamous survivalist internet troll/scumbag. (John Melvin Davis- convicted felon) Everyone that is into survival forums has heard this guys "handle".

One of his ideas was a "tactical wheelbarrow".
Yup. He was who I was referring to... Used to have some real fun winding him up on various forums. Always wondered how long it would be before he went inside. Took longer than I thought. wonder if they let him take his "de-barked Chihuahua" in with him?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
The North Vietnmese moved a huge amount of freight to South Vietnam on bicycles. They walked the bikes and used a tiller stick across the handlebars for steering. How do I know this? I was there,

Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Some years ago I saw plans for a two-bike freight carrier, where the bicycles were linked with a jury-rigged frame of 2X2s or 2X4s and a tiller stick tied the two handlebars together. Made to be pushed or pulled. Of course, you still have the need for a path at least as wide as the carrier, but at the end of the trip you have two working bicycles plus whatever supplies they carried.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Bicycles are certainly lighter than wheelbarrows. One person could easil carry one across water or other obstacles. They would provide transportation when not used for freight. They can carry heavy loads. Reading the appended link will provide information on a VC bicycle that carried over 700# at Dien Bien Phu. But please note the number of men pushing that heavily laden bike. Then look at the load sizes on the bikes with one driver.

Please note as well the awkward and fatiguing manner that the driver needs to use.

Sending out a large number of bikes would have made it practical to ship tools and replacement parts as well along with people who could fix them both competently and quickly. It would be rather difficult to fashion an inner tube out of scrap or natural products. It's very easy to put a bicycle out of commission.

The survivalist needs a device that he can propel by himself and repair with scrap wood. I envision a vehicle that can be fashioned from wood and basic tools. Given the time it would be possible to fashion a fine wheel. One person can do it all. I know that there is at least one person on this forum who plans to lead a band of raiders but most of us wish only to lead a safe and quiet life. I believe that the Chinese wheelbarrow could provide an answer to many transportation needs. Even today it would make an excellent garden cart that could carry several hundred pounds of soil that the operator has shovelled on to it. Try that with a bicycle.

Pedal Power – Bicycles in Wartime Vietnam

Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
In reading accounts of crossing the Great Plais in the early days we quickly learn that not all of the emigrants traveled by Conestoga wagon or even had horses or oxen. Some of the more impecunious simply pushed a handcart or a wheelbarrow. To the casual inquirer a handcart seems to be the more sensible choice. It has two wheels, can haul a heavy load while remaining stable. But it has problem in that it requires a relatively wide path of even ground, something not always available on tthe virgin plain. The wheelbarrow requires a path only as wide as its wheel but the operator must continually hold up the weight. The two items are mediocre at best.

After TEOWAWKI we may expect blocked or damaged roads or trails but still need to transport heavy loads. Neither the handcart nor the conventional wheelbarrow would be a good choice. But there is a solution: the Chinese wheelbarrow. The wheel is in the center rather than at the front. Just consider what that means. I suggest that you read the following article. I cannot find any source for either the wheelbarrows or plans. A good craftsman could easily design one, however. The Chinese do export wheelbarrows but they are of Occidental syle.

LOW-TECH MAGAZINE: How to Downsize a Transport Network: The Chinese Wheelbarrow
I don't think that's true. The wagon masters were very selective in who they would let join the wagon train. Livestock had to be sound, and the wagon had to be water tight enough to float across rivers. Each family had to have adequate food supplies to make the trip. Even at that, the fatality rate was huge.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Ever wonder why the conestoga wheels were so big ?
No roads
Ever see those elongated trailer pods for motor cycle trailers.
Elevate that and use heavy bicycle wheels & tires w/disk brakes, on an axil with short skis that replace them, for snow.
The brakes would be extremely valuable going up or down hill.
For something like this too, a pulley block and rope would be helpful getting up/down more severe challenges.
If your going this solo ,equipment can make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness