Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:01 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I live in an area that gets earthquakes. Storing some water is one of the things we're advised to do here.
Oh ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
My mother always told me that only holy water lasts forever.
LOL. I'm not looking for holy water.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Water doesn't need to be stored in a refrigerator.
I understand that but I to like to drink cold water. Its not a bad thing to keep water in bottles.

How long can I keep the bottles in the fridge and its still good to drink? One month? 2? 6 months? 5 years?
Anyone?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Here's the issue I see... filling your own bottles with tap water, there will be bacteria in the water. Chances are, by refrigerating the water, you will inhibit the growth of any of those bacteria, but not prevent it altogether. And the longer you keep it, the higher the risk of something contaminating that water. Unless you are storing sterilized water in sealed, sterilized containers, I'd want to change out that stock every few months.

An easy way to do that would be to rotate the water in your refrigerator by using it. Use the oldest water in there, and replace it with fresh. That should eliminate any concern.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,556 times
Whatever you do, don't use well water for this storage!! It does not store for any length of time, either refrigerated or not refrigerated - ours became rancid in just a few days due to the minerals in our well water.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Use 1/2 tsp of bleach for each gallon of water. Do not use old milk bottles. Some heavier bottles may not have the contaminants that milk bottles do but the best containers are special containers. Do buy a siphon. The best size is probably the 55 gallon; they don't take umuch more floor space than the 15 gallon so you can store enough of them. Well water does not become rancid because of minerals. There could, however, be bacteria, hence the bleach.

I've appended a link but shop around for the best price before you buy. I keep a few months' supply of bottled water as well because I don't care much for the taste of my well water.

Water Containers, Water Barrels, Water Storage - Emergency Essentials

Old 03-04-2014, 03:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Whatever you do, don't use well water for this storage!! It does not store for any length of time, either refrigerated or not refrigerated - ours became rancid in just a few days due to the minerals in our well water.
rancid in a few days??

i have well water and as far as i know it is quite pure... i know the plants thrive on it.. and the dog hasnt died of radon.
thats pure enough for me..

Old 03-04-2014, 04:19 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Here's the issue I see... filling your own bottles with tap water, there will be bacteria in the water. Chances are, by refrigerating the water, you will inhibit the growth of any of those bacteria, but not prevent it altogether. And the longer you keep it, the higher the risk of something contaminating that water. Unless you are storing sterilized water in sealed, sterilized containers, I'd want to change out that stock every few months.

An easy way to do that would be to rotate the water in your refrigerator by using it. Use the oldest water in there, and replace it with fresh. That should eliminate any concern.
^^^ This, or just buy few gallons from a store. They are factory sealed, are good for 2 years, and cost usually less than a buck.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

That's the answer I was looking for.
I keep about 6 bottles in the fridge and do rotate them. But was just wondering how long they would keep.
Thank you all for helping me out here.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,273,929 times
Not only do I store water, I prepare for hurricane season by freezing containers of water. I buy milk from a local dairy at the farmer's market. The containers are heavy plastic. After emptying them, I run them thru my dishwasher, then rinse out with the bleach mixture mentioned above. When dry, I store them until hurricane season. By June, I will have eaten the contents of my freezer to within 1 or 2 weeks of food. I fill the containers 2/3s full of water and freeze them until the freezer is full. If we lose power, the ice keeps the food fresh. I move some of the ice to the frigerators to keep it cool. As the ice melts, we have ice water.

I also store 10 gallons of water. I use the water for cooking, then refill the containers. The water never goes stale. By the way, I also test my well water every 90 days. As more people move into my area, the water table is dropping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness