Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I said nothing that implies I am employing any extraordinary measures for privacy. Nothing in my post says anything about hiding my IP addres on the web, or how to shop, or what kind of car to buy, all I said was that for my privacy, I live as I choose without employing any drastic measures to ensure privacy.
Part of that is living in a sparcely populated state with a strong libertarian bent, so most people here mind their own business.

Makes it a lot easier to be private.

Simple little things that anyone can do, don't stand out, don't draw attention, but still keep my privacy. I did mention that I monitor so that someone doesn't try to steal my identity, but that is something everyone should watch out for these days.

I don't divulge tactics for anything beyond a minimum effort that are simply tools available for anyone. No special training or equipment required.

Since I grow or raise or hunt/gather most of my food, I do have potatoes, and I make my own chips.

You mentioned that you didn't want to think about going to a different store each time you wanted potato chips, so I gave you an alternative.

This is the main reason I stay off this kind of thread, it usually goes way out into fantasyland, and can't find its way home again

Yet you're still checking out fantasyland couldn't resist?

Ok I get the alternative idea, I guess we're living 2 different worlds and have to say yours sounds more fun.
How do you monitor stealing of identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
[/b]

Yet you're still checking out fantasyland couldn't resist?

Ok I get the alternative idea, I guess we're living 2 different worlds and have to say yours sounds more fun.
How do you monitor stealing of identity?
I also watch old science fiction movies like "The Blob". It's pretty entertaining

For identity theft I use a service.
http://www.lifelock.com/nh/
Lots of services out there, the fees vary a lot as does the quality, but when I checked with the state department of Consumer Protection, these guys had a pretty good reputation.

Lots of services out there, I would reccomend you check out several. One friend of mine uses this one, and likes it.
http://www.identityguard.com/ipages/...ive=2322587946

Nothing is 100% guarenteed, but it's a good thing when they call and ask if you are making a purchase in Romania, (which did happen when I still had a debit card).

Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
Quote:
I also watch old science fiction movies like "The Blob". It's pretty entertaining

For identity theft I use a service.
Identity Theft Protection
Lots of services out there, the fees vary a lot as does the quality, but when I checked with the state department of Consumer Protection, these guys had a pretty good reputation.

Lots of services out there, I would reccomend you check out several. One friend of mine uses this one, and likes it.
http://www.identityguard.com/ipages/...ive=2322587946

Nothing is 100% guarenteed, but it's a good thing when they call and ask if you are making a purchase in Romania, (which did happen when I still had a debit card).
I thought you wouldn't use credit cards or whatever for privacy's sake since you're quite "private".
It happened to me before I got text from bank someone uses my account for money, but when I called the bank they checked and said it was safe, that text was a scam but I wonder how it works.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:59 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Credit cards are just the tip of the iceberg, but it is one reason I don't use them anymore.

Take a little time and look up identity theft sometime. It may shock you.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Credit cards are just the tip of the iceberg, but it is one reason I don't use them anymore.

Take a little time and look up identity theft sometime. It may shock you.
If you stay in your home all day you may not need credit cards. If you travel, need to stay in a hotel, purchase an airline ticket, rent a car etc. - a credit card is a must. You can separate your business credit card from your private life but for many things nowadays you will need a credit card.

I agree with you though - minimize the risk. You can also get them pre-paid cards that act like credit cards. That way they are not tied to you.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:13 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
If you stay in your home all day you may not need credit cards. If you travel, need to stay in a hotel, purchase an airline ticket, rent a car etc. - a credit card is a must. You can separate your business credit card from your private life but for many things nowadays you will need a credit card.

I agree with you though - minimize the risk. You can also get them pre-paid cards that act like credit cards. That way they are not tied to you.
Yes, pre-paid cards allow a bit more peace of mind. The scumball can only swipe so much before his/her party is over, plus it has no direct tie to an important account that could be compromised.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, pre-paid cards allow a bit more peace of mind. The scumball can only swipe so much before his/her party is over, plus it has no direct tie to an important account that could be compromised.
Try to run a business that way.

Why don't businesses have these constant and terrible problems? The answer is simple; successful businesses, small and large, maintain constant oversight. That includes agricultural operations. Responsible people without businesses do the same. There are over two trillion electronic financial transactions in the world every year. Fraudulent transactions represent a tiny percentage. I'd wager that it's less than in the days of paper checks. For those who wish to use only cash: you're about eight hundred years behind the times. There's a reason why so many gold coins of a hundred and fifty years ago or even five hundred years ago are lustous and uncirculated, and very few have any significant wear.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You have to do your research with these though, many of them have fees galore. Unlike real credit cards, these are not regulated AT ALL.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Try to run a business that way.

Why don't businesses have these constant and terrible problems? The answer is simple; successful businesses, small and large, maintain constant oversight. That includes agricultural operations. Responsible people without businesses do the same. There are over two trillion electronic financial transactions in the world every year. Fraudulent transactions represent a tiny percentage. I'd wager that it's less than in the days of paper checks. For those who wish to use only cash: you're about eight hundred years behind the times. There's a reason why so many gold coins of a hundred and fifty years ago or even five hundred years ago are lustous and uncirculated, and very few have any significant wear.
Citation please.

Fraudulent transactions cost a lot of money, that's a fact.

What do you mean by "maintain constant oversight"? Check your credit card statement online every day?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:47 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post

Interesting, since I've NEVER had a credit card and used motels/ hotels much of my life. I've always registered with cash or a prepaid debit card. A few times I was told they only honor major credit cards, I just said ok, your loss and went elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness