Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,840,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Interesting, since I've NEVER had a credit card and used motels/ hotels much of my life. I've always registered with cash or a prepaid debit card. A few times I was told they only honor major credit cards, I just said ok, your loss and went elsewhere.
I meant more along the lines of making a reservation - not many hotels these days will make one without a credit card on file. If you drive up to a hotel you can get a room and pay in cache but many establishments these days want to have a credit card on file for "incidentals".

Also, if you fly into somewhere and want to rent a car, no way you can get one without a major credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,205,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I meant more along the lines of making a reservation - not many hotels these days will make one without a credit card on file. If you drive up to a hotel you can get a room and pay in cache but many establishments these days want to have a credit card on file for "incidentals".

Also, if you fly into somewhere and want to rent a car, no way you can get one without a major credit card.
Yeah that probably stops most people, I tend to travel under the radar so those aren't issues since I don't rent cars, fly or book anything in advance so my info isn't on file.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Yeah that probably stops most people, I tend to travel under the radar so those aren't issues since I don't rent cars, fly or book anything in advance so my info isn't on file.
Ah well lucky you. I wish I could drive to everywhere I need to be.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Ah well lucky you. I wish I could drive to everywhere I need to be.
I don't always drive, I just teleport!

Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Reading through the posts here, I'm reminded of a couple more patterns of sorts:

*The less interested/involved in modern technology and/or transportation you are, the more "private" you become, perhaps without even having that privacy aspect in mind.

*If you have the "old hermit" attitude, you are largely ignored. Our society doesn't have time to "rescue" every lost sheep.

*Those who live either rurally or in small towns automatically enjoy a more private life with respect to our modern technological society and fast-paced living, even if they may not have as private a personal life in that small town (where folks tend to all know one another). So, you may not be invisible to your neighbor or neighborhood, but society at large tends to leave you back in its dust because you are "flyover country" material.

*The less consumptive you are, especially electronically transacted consumption, the less of a target you are for advertising and data mining. From a business perspective, you are not worth researching if you will never consume the sorts of products that are prized by general society these days. You're a bad bet and advertisers tend to not like to gamble.

*And has been mentioned many times here, but can be mentioned again, if you are not involved in any sort of social media, especially via "smartphones," again, you are a dinosaur not worth anyone's time (which is a good thing if you are seeking a private life).

*If you tend to transact via traditional "paper and pen" means, rather than electronic means, again, you are quite often looked at as a curiosity not worth bothering with and barely to be tolerated. Since most new "services" are electronically transacted, you are again "flyover country material."

Fancy yourself to be one of these and you'll get far less "static" from the outside world:

Old 04-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Reading through the posts here, I'm reminded of a couple more patterns of sorts:

*The less interested/involved in modern technology and/or transportation you are, the more "private" you become, perhaps without even having that privacy aspect in mind.

*If you have the "old hermit" attitude, you are largely ignored. Our society doesn't have time to "rescue" every lost sheep.

*Those who live either rurally or in small towns automatically enjoy a more private life with respect to our modern technological society and fast-paced living, even if they may not have as private a personal life in that small town (where folks tend to all know one another). So, you may not be invisible to your neighbor or neighborhood, but society at large tends to leave you back in its dust because you are "flyover country" material.

*The less consumptive you are, especially electronically transacted consumption, the less of a target you are for advertising and data mining. From a business perspective, you are not worth researching if you will never consume the sorts of products that are prized by general society these days. You're a bad bet and advertisers tend to not like to gamble.

*And has been mentioned many times here, but can be mentioned again, if you are not involved in any sort of social media, especially via "smartphones," again, you are a dinosaur not worth anyone's time (which is a good thing if you are seeking a private life).

*If you tend to transact via traditional "paper and pen" means, rather than electronic means, again, you are quite often looked at as a curiosity not worth bothering with and barely to be tolerated. Since most new "services" are electronically transacted, you are again "flyover country material."

Fancy yourself to be one of these and you'll get far less "static" from the outside world:
Correct on all counts, thanks for the good summary.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Thanks, and that's MR. Godzilla to you! I'm happy to say I refuse to suffer the same financial headaches and downfalls as others with credit cards and mortgages,etc. There's a LOT of advantages to living the simple life.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 PM

8,281 posts, read 23,044,357 times
Anyone have any tips for junk mail?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,640,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Anyone have any tips for junk mail?
Get a wood-burning stove, sign up for a few catalogs, never run out of kindling.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 AM

805 posts, read 1,996,464 times
So here's a thought for the thread. What about individuals who had spent the majority of their lives not taking heed some of these ideas. Lets say they were all over social media for years, they have multiple solicitations sent to heir emails because they email addresses have been shared with numerous businesses, they have only used debit/credit to purchase things, everything is registered at their personal address including their home of record for their employment, they're registered to numerous forums/blogs with the same user handle.

How does one effectively decrease their cyber and real world footprint? Surely, one can simply get a new email address, yes they can deactivate their facebook...but those profiles still remain out there, those blog posts are still out there etc

does one simply decide okay, so I'm making a concsious effort to improve the way I live in regards to personal privacy and their data trail will minimize for the future, or do they maintain the status quo of being like everyone else and not giving a crap.

I think this thread is very interesting, and the extremes to both side are very evident. In the society we live in we can never predict other people. I don't believe in being a hermit and excluding everyone from ones life...resortint to illegal, or very time consuming tactics. I don't see an issue with my car being registered to my home or my employer having my phone number, or having friends/family over for a BBQ......just some basic wise decisions that may prove helpful in ones life. (ie. prepaid debit cards, thats a great idea as identity theft is so crazy and there's so many crazy bugs out there like the heartbleed incident... not posting your social activities for all to see online, taking various driving routes and breaking up repetition. I see all these as great deterrents against "bad guys" I don't feel a need to fear or cower from big brother, and I don't have people with personal vendettas against me either so i don't think I could ever just try to jump off grid)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness