Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
So here's a thought for the thread. What about individuals who had spent the majority of their lives not taking heed some of these ideas. Lets say they were all over social media for years, they have multiple solicitations sent to heir emails because they email addresses have been shared with numerous businesses, they have only used debit/credit to purchase things, everything is registered at their personal address including their home of record for their employment, they're registered to numerous forums/blogs with the same user handle.

How does one effectively decrease their cyber and real world footprint? Surely, one can simply get a new email address, yes they can deactivate their facebook...but those profiles still remain out there, those blog posts are still out there etc

does one simply decide okay, so I'm making a concsious effort to improve the way I live in regards to personal privacy and their data trail will minimize for the future, or do they maintain the status quo of being like everyone else and not giving a crap.

I think this thread is very interesting, and the extremes to both side are very evident. In the society we live in we can never predict other people. I don't believe in being a hermit and excluding everyone from ones life...resortint to illegal, or very time consuming tactics. I don't see an issue with my car being registered to my home or my employer having my phone number, or having friends/family over for a BBQ......just some basic wise decisions that may prove helpful in ones life. (ie. prepaid debit cards, thats a great idea as identity theft is so crazy and there's so many crazy bugs out there like the heartbleed incident... not posting your social activities for all to see online, taking various driving routes and breaking up repetition. I see all these as great deterrents against "bad guys" I don't feel a need to fear or cower from big brother, and I don't have people with personal vendettas against me either so i don't think I could ever just try to jump off grid)
My suggestion would be to start slowly altering your profiles to eventually become totally misleading. In a way, degenerate them to no longer represent you or your opinions and point to someone who now lives in the tropical paradise of Costa Rica, for example. Your new life will be all about fishing and you can be a tour guide for the tourists. Or you can be a car salesman in, I don't know, Sacramento. Either way, you are right, this info will always be there but as it gets older, new information becomes more relevant. If you simply stop doing anything online, the old information will be more representative of you. If you, however, slowly degenerate the information out there....

There are also books on Amazon that you can purchase that discuss identity protection, like J.J. Luna's "How to be invisible". Generally, most people's information is out there for the taking and that's OK, most people are uninteresting anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 10:01 PM

245 posts, read 304,337 times
pay cash, Never use a debit card on the net if it leads back to a bank that has more than a few hundred $ of your money there. Own everything as a nevada corporation.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:02 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times
Evening all!

Why not live your life in such a way that you don't have to give a fig what anyone thinks they know about you?

Of course, that doesn't negate having a backup plan for 'bugging out' in a When The Lights Go Out/TEOTWAWKI scenario, but at that point, unless you're engaging in some sort of subversive activity, TPTB will have better things to do than to look for 'an average Joe (or Jane, as the case may be).'

The biggest danger we face at the moment isn't persecution by governments, nor anti-Christian, anti-Muslim (take you pick) action, it's the downing of the grid, the tanking of the U.S. dollar (#1 on my list), the loss of oil/gas, and the subsequent cessation of basic transportation.

If we don't have oil and electricity, we won't have transportation, and within three days we won't have any food in the supermarkets, prescription medication, clean water, or garbage pickup/basic sanitation, but we will have riots on a scale that one generally wouldn't believe.

Those without 'preps' (most people) are only 9 meals away from starvation, homelessness, and/or victimization at the hands of looters, if any of the above-mentioned scenarios erupts, and it's looking rather likely that at least one will shortly.

Shalom Aleichem,

Mahrie.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:22 PM

If I were really serious about it, I could be "unfindable", within a day or so. But almost nobody likes that sort of life. It would take me a few k in setup money, but it would take most people a year of full time instruction, which I would not have to bother with, at least.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I was just curious what are some tips for living a very private life, what to tell people what not to tell people and the obvious, no facebook, linkedin, public phone record.
Get old. I have discovered that true freedom comes with age. I'm almost middle aged and the older I get, the more I get away with things. I tell people I don't want to talk to them. Seriously. And it's ok. In my 20s that would have caused major drama.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
Own everything as a nevada corporation.
I would change this to, "own everything in a New Mexico corporation".

That is the only state where corporations are so totally anonymous, that even the state of NM doesn't know!

Old 10-05-2014, 02:51 PM

I'll stick with proven performance, thanks anyway.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I would change this to, "own everything in a New Mexico corporation".

That is the only state where corporations are so totally anonymous, that even the state of NM doesn't know!
This is correct. As I said in a previous post, if you want to become more anonymous (I would think becoming FULLY anonymous would be next to impossible) - start by reading a book like J.J. Luna's "How to be invisible". In it he plugs someone who has registers corporations in her name and then sells the corporation to you. The catch is that a NM corporation has to have someone registered as an agent of the firm, and that someone is Senorita Rosie (you can google all this...).

Beware though, a lot of this stuff makes life much more inconvenient in today's environment and it really has to be worth the effort to a person....

Old 10-05-2014, 09:37 PM

ask Randy weaver or the Branch davidians if they'd rather that Big Bro didn't know where to find them.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
Default Cop Cams

One thing that worries me about the suggestion that the police wear cameras. Would these be on all the time? Would the images be stored? That would seriously impact privacy. I foresee a situation where lawyers would demand copies of all police stored images of someone! Imagine confronting a witness with something that could be misconstrued that the police recorded! (What were you doing with those people in that part of town) The cameras that police wear don't record the actions of the police as much as the actions of the people around the officer.

If these cameras are turned on when the officer approaches someone - good. Some things need to be recorded. But cameras that stay on are, in my opinion, a violation of my privacy.

And don't get me started on drones . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness