Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM

30 posts, read 34,591 times

Advertisements

I saw this new design for pepper spray with integrated smart phone app. It looked lke it could be more effective than traditional sprays. Has anybody else found good designs that could be more effective than the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,853 times
Can it be triggered by a remote app?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
There were no specifications whatsoever. We need to know what the strength is and how much can be delivered to the target. What's the range? How many squirts does it provide?

You wouldn't buy a gun if you didn't know what kind of ammunition it uses or how many rounds it holds. It would be foolhardy to ignore these critical questions in a far less potent weapon.

There are many videos on youtube of tests of chemical weapons. The aforementioned outfit doesn't believe that effectiveness of the chemical composition, capacity, and delivery system are worthy of comment.

I've been studying the history and technology of arms, primarily individual projectile weapons, for the past sixty years. The first requirement has always been effectiveness. That means the utter defeat and neutralization of the target.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...per+spray+test

Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,853 times
If it's an app, and can be hacked, an advertiser could force you to watch or get pepper sprayed. This has potential.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM

25,774 posts, read 18,834,175 times
High tech--specifically electronics and computer technology--is not the answer for everything on the planet. We're a computer-obsessed society. In my opinion, it has no, or very little, place in a simple self-defense weapon like a carry firearm or pepper spray beyond the actual manufacturing process. A simple, rugged, dependable--non-electronic--design is a better option. Electronics/computer technology is inherently susceptible to malfunctions and "crashes" that would never be an issue in a simple mechanical design. Personally, I'd rather have a longbow than a weapon that relied on computer circuitry, an operating system, computer coding, digital components, etc.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity when it comes to small personal weapons (and lots of things that have become overly complicated). Take for instance, the AK-47 (and variants): crudely assembled, sloppy machine work, but a brilliant design in its simplicity, ease of maintenance, dependability, and effectiveness.

I can hear it now from a young woman with the latest pepper spray "app" (that's "application" for those who are not too lazy to say the entire word) on her latest iPud: just a second, Mr. Rapist, the operating system on my pepper spray seems to have crashed. It's showing a little frowny face Let me reboot it.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
LOL!!

Most of the pepper spray in my state is carried in case of bears, so that makes me wonder, if you are depending on your smart phone to save your life, will the spray deploy if your battery dies or if you don't have a signal??

"Hold on Mr. Bear, I have to get to the top of this hill to get a cell signal so I can spray you"

Old 05-01-2014, 02:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
High tech--specifically electronics and computer technology--is not the answer for everything on the planet. We're a computer-obsessed society. In my opinion, it has no, or very little, place in a simple self-defense weapon like a carry firearm or pepper spray beyond the actual manufacturing process. A simple, rugged, dependable--non-electronic--design is a better option. Electronics/computer technology is inherently susceptible to malfunctions and "crashes" that would never be an issue in a simple mechanical design. Personally, I'd rather have a longbow than a weapon that relied on computer circuitry, an operating system, computer coding, digital components, etc.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity when it comes to small personal weapons (and lots of things that have become overly complicated). Take for instance, the AK-47 (and variants): crudely assembled, sloppy machine work, but a brilliant design in its simplicity, ease of maintenance, dependability, and effectiveness.
The most sophisticated technology is the most likely to fail. This is unaceptable in critical applications. Consider the proposed police handgun that allows only one user. It would read a fingerprint or DNA. Needless to say, there would be all sorts of electronics. But would any sane individual trust his lfe to one?

With respect to pepper spray, I wonder if there has ever been a completely reliable spray can. However, I don't ever recall hearing of mechanical sprayers with push handles failing. Certainly they wear out, but catastrophic failure seems most unikely. I've had a can of shaving cream fail but never a bar of shaving soap and rarely anyting that comes in a tube. If I could purchase a bottle of bear spray activated by a hand pump that would be my choice. A pistol grip and trigger arrangement would be ideal. It would be no more complicated than a child's squirt gun.

There is a viable market for well-made and reliable products that are simpe in use and construction. I don't mean just expensive specialty items. An example of the fine but simple product is the mechanical time piece. I'd rather rely on one of these than on an electronic or even simple electric clock because the latter items must rely on either a battery or an electric generator.

Even self-styled self-sufficiency claimants love to discuss wind turbines but eschew simple windmills. Most of them, however, are followers of trends as we well know from reading this forum.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Tear gas was great
Now banned
pepper spray is great ---for unarmed stupid people you catch off guard

Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,167 times
What silly crap is next? Laser cannon apps for your smart phone, no thank you. IF I'm in a situation where I need to defend myself, then a phone will NOT be what's in my hand...

Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 AM

30 posts, read 34,591 times
Maybe it's not clear, but you don't need the phone to use the pepper spray on that design. When the spray is used, it also sends an alert to your loved ones (or anyone you program in) that something has happened.

The spray design itself has more to do with masking it as a flashlight so the person does not expect the spray to come and does not hold his breath. I thought their idea about a hand strap made sense too since most people drop the spray when they need it most.

Good points on the potency, amount of spray, and reliability. I agree that simple, tried, tested and true is usually the way to go. This has some interesting features which might make it worthwhile though. Thanks for your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness