Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,019,840 times

Advertisements

Thought this would be good storm prep.

BioLite Wood Burning CampStove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
I looked at their website and saw a longer video. I would under no circumstances use an off grid or emergency product that requires a battery start or that uses electronics. This product requires a battery to power its electronics; there was no mention of using it without.

We've discussed rocket stoves before. Even I, who viewed one obviously knowledgable response on your carpentry thread as incomprehensible and who can only drive a nail only with great luck, have built several myself. My efforts will cook just as well as the advertised product. But unlike an electronic device they will not poop out at a critical moment.

For backpacking there are excellent stoves on the market today that are both reliable and extremely light, far lighter than the advertised item. You can find places in NYC where you can examine these.

I have a small handheld device that charges a cell phone. Mine is a prototype but I believe there are other similar products on the market.

amazon carries the Biolite so if you wish you can wait for reviews; there aren't any yet. However, I wouldn't even consider this product. I doubt that benighted denizens of the Third World would either.

You should definitely consider at least a vacation to the Salt Lake area. You'd love shopping in all of the survival stores.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,205,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Thought this would be good storm prep.

BioLite Wood Burning CampStove
Too heavy for real backpacking, and overly complex just to make a damn fire.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,604,458 times
TEG generators are not exactly new but its a nice miniture version that appears to be well suited for an emergency situation. If you can afford to have it in your survival gear, why not?

Again the quandry of storing your own fuel source versus gathering it with the thousands and or millions of others that would be doing the same thing.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
TEG generators are not exactly new but its a nice miniature version that appears to be well suited for an emergency situation. If you can afford to have it in your survival gear, why not?

Again the quandry of storing your own fuel source versus gathering it with the thousands and or millions of others that would be doing the same thing.
I don't believe that many people in NYC will be gathering fuel simply because I don't believe that many people will be tryng to build cooking fires. If they have a grill and charcoal they will build fires in the grills but not many will think to do it from scratch. They'll be too busy moaning and complaining because the FEMA trucks haven't arrived with hot meals and because their electric service hasn't been restored. The Northeast will experience the highest number of people who will be either unable or actually unwilling to help themselves. The latter seems insane but the video record of previous events proves it.

People who wish to survive there will hardly be noticed when they pick up scraps for fuel or wild plants to eat. I'd bet as much asparagus grows in New York City apart from areas of solid concrete, as it does in other parts of the country. Asparagus is just one of a myriad of suitable wild plants.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:28 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,490,587 times
I thought it is a neat gimmicky item... I have not bought it and have no plans to do so though.

Let's face it that a vast majority of the people in the US are not going to be in the bush use/off-grid living position. I do agree that for ultimate survival, relying on something that has a battery that needs to work (and in this case, probably a non-serviceable one at that) is not the greatest idea. I always have the luck of even the pull start generator won't start when we lose power unexpectedly. So I know this wouldn't light up either.

Even though the company is trying to market this differently, I figured BioLite was more geared towards going out to the campsite and having a way to heat up your starbucks coffee and charge your iphone. (and I am not knocking that either - I do not live off-grid) Or you are camping, but close to civilization.

Although I am in the process of learning how to be more self sufficient and prepared.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:58 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
A small solar panel added might make it more practical in areas where batteries won't be readily available. It is an interesting idea, but it needs to be modified a bit to be practical away from civilization.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,205,479 times
It will take you not even 10 minutes, to make a alcohol stove from a pop can which will make a quick smokeless fire using clear alcohol and weighs FAR less and takes FAR less room! If you're concerned with charging your phone just buy a booster pack, simple enough.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I thought it is a neat gimmicky item... I have not bought it and have no plans to do so though.

Let's face it that a vast majority of the people in the US are not going to be in the bush use/off-grid living position. I do agree that for ultimate survival, relying on something that has a battery that needs to work (and in this case, probably a non-serviceable one at that) is not the greatest idea. I always have the luck of even the pull start generator won't start when we lose power unexpectedly. So I know this wouldn't light up either.

Even though the company is trying to market this differently, I figured BioLite was more geared towards going out to the campsite and having a way to heat up your starbucks coffee and charge your iphone. (and I am not knocking that either - I do not live off-grid) Or you are camping, but close to civilization.

Although I am in the process of learning how to be more self sufficient and prepared.
During or in the aftermath of widespread flooding wind damage, even such minor events as blizzards and ice storms people often find that they are living off grid, and they'd likely be far better off if they were in "the bush" rather than a modern city. If you're away from people you can start your generator without fear of having it stolen. That's not the case when there are close neighbors. In a crowded neighborhood it's unsafe to even show a light.

A camp stove and your regular cookware may save the day. A thermos will allow you to rehydrate and even cook food while conserving fuel. Kurt Saxon pioneered thermos cooking years ago. It does, however, require a water supply.

You don't live off grid today, but you may tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:39 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times
I tinkered with one at our local outfitters. It's actually pretty nice for a temporary emergency stove (not really a packing stove). It doesn't require electricity to use it at all. You can use just about any burnable solid as fuel and then light it with whateverr method you have at your disposal. As the stove heats, it makes power with a TEG generator... enough to charge it's own onboard electronics as well as USB charging other small electronics or devises. A small solar panel or hand-crank dynamo has the potential to deliver more power (if there's sunlight or you're not injured etc), but if you're already cooking why not generate some power with the waste heat? It's also nice because it's an all-in-one cooker, heater and small electronics generator/charger... so it's good for storm preps for 2-3 people if you have limited storage space.

It's not right if you plan to be mobile and need to pack it. It's not right if you're cooking for a lot of people. It's not right if you need a lot of power. It's not right if you have a large area to heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness