Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:20 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

This kid in Pennsylvania who wounded 22 people using two butcher knives, his photo was on the news and he is a scrawny little weenie looking guy.

Why was he allowed to injure 22 people without someone stopping him? He's what, 60 pounds and arms like toothpicks? Yet no one knew how to stop him?

If he'd tried that in any high school my son went to, someone would have decked him the moment that he took the first swing with the knife. If he'd tried that in the elementary school my son went to, my son or one of the other bigger boys would have decked him. Problem over, rather quickly.

Is this the progressives teaching our children that the best thing to do is to run away if you are threatened? Our courts charging people who defend themselves with murder?

Seriously. I am mystified. A building with adults there, even if the kids couldn't figure out what to do. One of the kids stabbed was a hulking big football player and he said he didn't know what to do. I sure hope my fellows here on the self-sufficiency forum are doing a better job of raising your kids than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
At a time when making a gun from your index finger and thumb and pointing at someone is cause for suspension or expusion from school, it is no wonder kids have no idea how to defend themselves.

They've been programmed to be completely submissive, not to make anyone mad, not to be agressive, to reist things like wrestling on the playgound or playing rough even playing games that are supposed to be rough like football, or you will get a dose of Ritaline.

It has "Progressed" to the point it doesn't surprise me at all that some psycopath could do whatever they want, and the sheep will die just as they have been trained to.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:00 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
At a time when making a gun from your index finger and thumb and pointing at someone is cause for suspension or expusion from school, it is no wonder kids have no idea how to defend themselves.

They've been programmed to be completely submissive, not to make anyone mad, not to be agressive, to reist things like wrestling on the playgound or playing rough even playing games that are supposed to be rough like football, or you will get a dose of Ritaline.

It has "Progressed" to the point it doesn't surprise me at all that some psycopath could do whatever they want, and the sheep will die just as they have been trained to.
On the other side of that is the swathes of crazy, rabid and frustrated people walking around looking for the slightest reason to shoot you. Abundance of guns + abundance of crazies + a violent culture = no good. People are cracking under pressure, more and more and at younger ages.

Why is being aggressive a quality you should encourage? If you ask me, this world is full of aggressive pr*cks in your face in every facet of life. I didn't think we needed more.

There is also the question of what defense really is warranted - I think people in general agree that shooting or killing someone in a true self-defense situation is OK. However, I am pretty sure you have a whole bunch of incidents that were not as clear cut. They are difficult to prove either way. In some case it is/was clear it was not a case of self-defense. After a few of those, most people start to over-react to the other end of the spectrum. It is the same, really, as the pro-gun vs gun-control debate. The more incidents of public shootings and gun violence there are, the more people are going to start leaning towards banning or strictly controlling guns. It has nothing to do with being precise, it has everything to do with protecting the majority of people while the corner cases get the shaft. Most laws are designed that way anyways.

OP: You weren't there. Size of attacker or defender means absolutely nothing. Hence, you may be right but you easily may be wrong.

Last edited by LordyLordy; 04-18-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,342 times
He was tackled ending his attack. He was also running in a hallway from person to person, most of those slashed had no idea what was occurring until he was upon them.

In fact at least six of those who were injured had no idea they had been attacked at all.

Teen charged as adult in stabbings at Pa. school - CNN.com

"A doctor who treated six of the victims, primarily teens, said at first they did not know they had been stabbed.
"They just felt pain and noticed they were bleeding," Dr. Timothy VanFleet, chief of emergency medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, told CNN.
"Almost all of them said they didn't see anyone coming at them. It apparently was a crowded hallway and they were going about their business, and then just felt pain and started bleeding.""

Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM

589 posts, read 639,048 times
60 pounds or not, a deadly weapon is a deadly weapon. If a 5'5" 130 pound guy has a gun in his hand, are you going to try to fight him or ask him what model the gun is? In this scenario, you'd either have to be extremely confident you can take him down or a complete idiot.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
I AGREE with the op. Far too many people today are intimidated by things that should just make you go "WTF??" Can anyone give me a good reason WHY a teacher, or a student, or even the nurse couldn't have picked up a folding chair and slapped that kid with the knives all the way to the lunch room?? Female teachers don't carry any pepper spray in their purses? Even some sofa cushions from the teachers lounge could have pinned that kid to the wall! ARE people REALLY that much of a sissy now that they can't distinguish a threat from a disruption? IS this what they teach the school staff now, to RUN from kids?? I had a high school kid threaten me with a tire iron once. Guess what stopped him? My freakin garden hose!!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
60 pounds or not, a deadly weapon is a deadly weapon. If a 5'5" 130 pound guy has a gun in his hand, are you going to try to fight him or ask him what model the gun is? In this scenario, you'd either have to be extremely confident you can take him down or a complete idiot.
Are you trained or not? Can you think under stress or not? Is that a pellet pistol, or real? THEN decide.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I AGREE with the op. Far too many people today are intimidated by things that should just make you go "WTF??" Can anyone give me a good reason WHY a teacher, or a student, or even the nurse couldn't have picked up a folding chair and slapped that kid with the knives all the way to the lunch room?? Female teachers don't carry any pepper spray in their purses? Even some sofa cushions from the teachers lounge could have pinned that kid to the wall! ARE people REALLY that much of a sissy now that they can't distinguish a threat from a disruption? IS this what they teach the school staff now, to RUN from kids?? I had a high school kid threaten me with a tire iron once. Guess what stopped him? My freakin garden hose!!
Did you not read what I posted?

It was a crowded hallway and he was running through it and a good portion of the people had no idea they had been stabbed nor did they even see him when he did it.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Did you not read what I posted?

It was a crowded hallway and he was running through it and a good portion of the people had no idea they had been stabbed nor did they even see him when he did it.
Yep I read it. And still NO one in that hallway was paying attention to their surroundings ... sad. The last I remember they still hung fire extinguishers in the halls right? That would have stopped that kid cold.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:54 PM

Ever been in a crowded high school hallway? When I went to middle and high school there were times during the first week when the movement of the students caused traffic jams in which no one could move for ten minutes since the hallways were packed. Seems when you have over a 1000 people moving through an area that could actually at most just have 400 people moving through at one time your going to have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness