Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,594 times

Advertisements

I took the train, then rented an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 04:28 PM

253 posts, read 378,126 times
I had a full scholarship for college and decided that I wanted to have my own apartment in the city, rather than stay on the farm. My parents didn't allow their children to work during the school year, so I had an allowance and then worked during the summer. I used the money that I received to buy something each week for the apartment that I planned to get. It worked out fairly well and I got a friend to go in on an apartment with me. Dad helped me to move my things with his pickup.I met my (future) husband right around the same time and we got married six months later.

I always had a great relationship with my parents and still draw heavily on the lessons that they taught me.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I came back after spending a month in California after high school graduation. The locks had been changed and my stuff was on the carport under a tarp. I'd forgotten to pay my mother my rent for June.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
Your parents probably raised you up until you were about 18 years old, and then you were set free. Though, if you attended a local university or college that just happened to qualify as "a very good school" and got parental approval, you probably lived with your parents throughout your college years as well. In your twenties, you may be heading towards graduate school or start searching for an entry-level job, becoming more and more independent from your parents' paychecks.

Anyway, if you have already moved out of your parents' house, how did you do it? What was your process? How old were you when you finally got a home of your own? Would you mind if your aging parents come live with you instead of in a nursing home or retirement home, or would you get annoyed?

If you have not already moved out of your parents' home, when do you plan out doing so, or if you do not plan on moving out, why not?
After college I started at a low-end job and rented a room in the house of one of the owners. When I got a good paying job I got my own apartment.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
When I was 18, I was in the military for 2 years. Upon finishing the military service I traveled for a bit and then spent just over half a year living with my parents while working at a temporary job until I went off to university in another city (where I lived in student dorms). After completely college/university, I moved to another town/city where I shared an apt. So this would have been when I officially became self-sufficient and completely moved out of my parents' home.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I just packed up and did it.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Easy enough. At 19 I had been dating my wife for about a year while she finished up her last year of junior college in my home town (I hadn't gone yet). She moved back home to finish up her Bachelors degree. I made it at home about 4 months and told my parents that I was moving from South Alabama up to Huntsville. I packed my stuff in trash bags and one Saturday morning (Dec 21,2001 to be exact) at 5am I opened their door and told them goodbye. I had $300 to my name in my pocket and a full tank of gas in my old Honda Prelude. No job lined up.

Drove the 5 hr trip to Huntsville and never went back. We rented a few places until we were financially stable and then bought our first house. Over the years we've struggled but I went back to college and got my Bachelors. We now have two kids and 5/25 will mark 11 years married for us and 13 years together.

It took me a long time to adjust as I came from a really small town and had never been into a city for more than a day. I spent a lot of time trying not to panic being away from home but it got easier. It's just a mindset you have to get to and commit to.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I left home at 18 to go to college, and after graduating, moved back home for the summer while I worked as a cocktail waitress and bartender to save money. In the fall I moved to England to be with my boyfriend (husband to be) for 6 months. He started college and because I couldn't work and he had no income, we decided that I should move back to the US to start my career and we would do the long distance thing for awhile.

I moved back in with my parents while job hunting and within a month I had a job, a car and an apartment. DH came to join me 18 months later, we got married and them moved back to England now that I could get a work permit there.

We were there five years or so, then came back to the US and started our family. We bought our first home a couple of years later when we were both 31.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I left home at age 16, I had twins on the way due to a GF lying about taking birth control. I sold my computer, and other belongings, rented a truck, and moved me and her to another city where I found work. a year later after the twins were born, I joined the military with a parental waiver.

Im a long long ways from that time now, dont miss it.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
due to a GF lying about taking birth control
Really??
You didn't know what causes that??
You poor thing! Being taken advantage of...Shameful, I tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness